Options

Doctor Foster I Wednesday BBC One @ 9pm I 9/9-7/10

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Could someone please confirm a few things for me ?

1) When Dr Foster found the mobile phone in the boot - did the first picture show the restaurant owners daughter sat on his lap ?
    2) Who was it that was in the next photo with the doctors husband ? Was it the couple who came to the doctors house for a dinner party and to whom the doctor told the story about how the husband couldn't swim or was it just the husband of that couple ?
    3) Did the text message on the mobile phone found in the boot say something like 'she's leaving work early today' and 'I think she's going to follow you' ?
    4) If so which character sent that text ?
    5) Were those gold foil things she kept finding condoms ?
  • Options
    ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 42,109
    Forum Member
    Could someone please confirm a few things for me ?

1) When Dr Foster found the mobile phone in the boot - did the first picture show the restaurant owners daughter sat on his lap ?
    2) Who was it that was in the next photo with the doctors husband ? Was it the couple who came to the doctors house for a dinner party and to whom the doctor told the story about how the husband couldn't swim or was it just the husband of that couple ?
    3) Did the text message on the mobile phone found in the boot say something like 'she's leaving work early today' and 'I think she's going to follow you' ?
    4) If so which character sent that text ?
    5) Were those gold foil things she kept finding condoms ?

He had photos on his phone of the restaurant owner's daughter, the couple who came to dinner - with the female featured more prominently than the male of the couple! I think Tom's assistant was in a photo as well (the lady with the daughter who goes to their sons' school) I'm not sure if there are photos of other blonde women on the phone as well!

Dr Foster's friend and partner in the doctor's practice sent her husband the messages to warn him Doc was going to follow him.

And I think they were condoms.
  • Options
    ESPIONdansantESPIONdansant Posts: 6,760
    Forum Member
    I love Suranne Jones so that's a massive plus.

OK, it was jolly silly. Get a patient to spy for you? Know exactly how to intimidate the boyfriend? A single hair on a scarf? All that fuss?

But hey. Suspension of disbelief. Do we think she's going to surprise him with a romantic weekend by the sea? Let's go for a lovely row on the placid water. Oh, dear. I dropped my earring overboard. Would you just reach it for me, darling? Your arms are longer than mine. OOOOOPS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I quite enjoyed it and I'll watch it next week. Yes there were some far fetched bits, but it's a drama, you expect a bit of dramatic licence :D I think the bit with warning her patient's boyfriend off just shows she's got steel, a bit of a mean streak, don't mess with her and I do think she'll turn out to be like the she-devil, not to be crossed. Big clue with the poem!

It does seem like the cliche at first, husband sleeps with younger woman (or more than one woman perhaps) but with five episodes there has to be more to it. Doc turns out to be a fruit loop, the whole village knows stuff she doesn't, murder...or whatever. She's struggling to trust anyone, there's jealousy, bribing a patient with pills in exchange for following her husband, it's all showing how possible infidelity can affect a person. I just hope it's not going to end up being a big disappointment!

It started off with the lipsyl she found in his pocket....the red one! (Not just the single hair on the scarf, that could be explained) What man wears coloured lipsyl? Humour me here! Maybe the colourless one, but not red :D Others have said maybe he's a cross dresser!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 234
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your help with my questions ilovewallander.

I don't think the actual lip salve was red it was just the container it was in that was red.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for your help with my questions ilovewallander.

I don't think the actual lip salve was red it was just the container it was in that was red.

That's ok, SC :)

The lip salve was red, he said it was red and it was all they had. I normally miss little details but I was watching a show properly for a change!
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I actually caught a review of the show on the Guardian (I hadn't watched it and I didn't know it was on). From what the review said it read like a ridiculous plot - how can a woman jump to the conclusion her husband's having an affair based on a strand of long blonde hair and strawberry lippy? But for something to watch I decided to catch it on iplayer.

First off, and it is something that might of put me off watching it because this genre has been done to death on British TV, it is one of those middle-class dramas with middle-class problems. It was just as well it was on the BBC rather than ITV because the latter's treatment of this theme is so bad and predictable. While it won't surprise me if the ending was a bit roll-your-eye, I'm hoping the ending will be different from something I can guess a mile away.

Second, I agree with those who say it is clichéd but hooked them by the end. Same here. While I usually do mind (and can't stand) the ridiculous devices writers of this genre tend to use to advance the plot - Gemma getting her desperate angsty patient to play PI whilst dangling a medical script for sleeping pills, for example - I think that it is mostly down to Suranne and Bertie (loved Bertie as Jonathan Strange) that it hasn't verged off to something that looks predictable from the off. I just loved how steely a portrayal Suanne gave. I just did not know what she was going to do at the party once she found out - scream, ran at her husband with the scissors? stab him? give some speech and out him? break down and cry? go home and chuck his stuff out the window? whisper his betrayal in his ear as he grilled the burgers? I just could not guess. And then afterwards, the Dr Foster rhyme, the lines of the play The Mourning Bride, and her backstory as an outsider began to fall into place as to the type of character I may see unfold in her. And then of course, Bertie brings this innocent sweet boy-like performance to his character, it makes me wonder whether there is more to him than we already see including that he is a cad. With the life he has, why on earth would he risk it all? And why did he leave his childhood town for London for 5 years? And why did he hate it that so much?

Also, ilovewallander's post got me thinking. If the photos are anything to go by, Simon sure loves his blondes from Anna to Susan to the female Victoria Hamilton plays. The only one he doesn't seem to have an interest in is Ros - she's dark-haired and the only one who knows about him to warn him.

Not a bad start, I don't think. So far I've enjoyed it, but having experienced so many dramas fall flat in the final episode, I'll probably have to take it for whatever it turns out to be.

ETA: Anna is the character Victoria plays; Becky is Simon's assistant. All these blonde women! I can't tell them apart, lol!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Creamtea wrote: »
    Watched it and enjoyed it. I'm not convinced it's an affair. I think she might be a secret daughter from an affair years ago. The woman who said she saw them kissing, we didn't see a full on snog. Doctor Foster will go into paranoid overdrive and kill one of them, only to find out it's not what she thought.

You could be right there. The young woman could be his daughter with the restaurant owner (can't remember her name). As Gemma's patient couldn't see much from her car she could've got it wrong about the kissing. I think Gemma's husband is having an affair though, possibly with his assistant or I'm wondering Ros? Were there texts from other women on his phone? There were a few names shown on the phone. It's pretty obvious that someone with stuff to hide would have another phone or another SIM card, they're never going to leave their phone out for it to be looked at.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I actually caught a review of the show on the Guardian (I hadn't watched it and I didn't know it was on). From what the review said it read like a ridiculous plot - how can a woman jump to the conclusion her husband's having an affair based on a strand of long blonde hair and strawberry lippy? But for something to watch I decided to catch it on iplayer.

First off, and it is something that might of put me off watching it because this genre has been done to death on British TV, it is one of those middle-class dramas with middle-class problems. It was just as well it was on the BBC rather than ITV because the latter's treatment of this theme is so bad and predictable. While it won't surprise me if the ending was a bit roll-your-eye, I'm hoping the ending will be different from something I can guess a mile away.

Second, I agree with those who say it is clichéd but hooked them by the end. Same here. While I usually do mind (and can't stand) the ridiculous devices writers of this genre tend to use to advance the plot - Gemma getting her desperate angsty patient to play PI whilst dangling a medical script for sleeping pills, for example - I think that it is mostly down to Suranne and Bertie (loved Bertie as Jonathan Strange) that it hasn't verged off to something that looks predictable from the off. I just loved how steely a portrayal Suanne gave. I just did not know what she was going to do at the party once she found out - scream, ran at her husband with the scissors? stab him? give some speech and out him? break down and cry? go home and chuck his stuff out the window? whisper his betrayal in his ear as he grilled the burgers? I just could not guess. And then afterwards, the Dr Foster rhyme, the lines of the play The Mourning Bride, and her backstory as an outsider began to fall into place as to the type of character I may see unfold in her. And then of course, Bertie brings this innocent sweet boy-like performance to his character, it makes me wonder whether there is more to him than we already see including that he is a cad. With the life he has, why on earth would he risk it all? And why did he leave his childhood town for London for 5 years? And why did he hate it that so much?

Also, ilovewallander's post got me thinking. If the photos are anything to go by, Simon sure loves his blondes from Anna to Susan to the female Victoria Hamilton plays. The only one he doesn't seem to have an interest in is Ros - she's dark-haired and the only one who knows about him to warn him.

Not a bad start, I don't think. So far I've enjoyed it, but having experienced so many dramas fall flat in the final episode, I'll probably have to take it for whatever it turns out to be.

Seems like he's had most of the women in the village, but I think Ros is the one he's having the affair with.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Iced Water wrote: »
    Anybody else find the dialogue hard to make out?

The sound was bad at times. I had to turn up the volume on the TV.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've neither heard of her or seen her before, in fact the only actor I knew, though I don't know where from, was the older doctor who is currently suspended..

You won't admit to ever having watched Coronation Street then? :p She was Karen McDonald.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems like he's had most of the women in the village, but I think Ros is the one he's having the affair with.

I thought that Simon was having a real good snog with the woman he met. At least there was a clear shot of him. (While Carly had a clear view of the kiss, I don't think she had a good shot to take a photo of him and her w/o Carly coming out of her car, taking the photo and raising suspicion.) So I do think he is having an affair. But if it is Ros, what has Susie Parks's car got to do with it? Why would Ros be using her car? I would understand it if it was Susie Parks's daughter using it and that would explain her picture being in his phone and being part of Simon's haram. Yet I was thinking the same as Creamtea at some point: that he had a daughter (Kate) with Susie (was that why he left for London for 5 years - i.e. just before she was born - and he hated it?) In which case, he is (or was) having an affair with Susie even as she is/was married to Chris. And yet Kate was so disappointed when Gemma kissed Simon in front of everyone at the party. But then maybe you are right - Ros eyeing up the young doctor colleague she works with is probably just a ruse to put Gemma off the adulterous scent.

I'm surprised that in a small village like that nobody knows - or seems to be aware of, apart from Ros - Simon's weakness for women.:p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nihonga wrote: »
    I thought that Simon was having a real good snog with the woman he met. At least there was a clear shot of him. (While Carly had a clear view of the kiss, I don't think she had a good shot to take a photo of him and her w/o Carly coming out of her car, taking the photo and raising suspicion.) So I do think he is having an affair. But if it is Ros, what has Susie Parks's car got to do with it? Why would Ros be using her car? I would understand it if it was Susie Parks's daughter using it and that would explain her picture being in his phone and being part of Simon's haram. Yet I was thinking the same as Creamtea at some point: that he had a daughter (Kate) with Susie (was that why he left for London for 5 years - i.e. just before she was born - and he hated it?) In which case, he is (or was) having an affair with Susie even as she is/was married to Chris. And yet Kate was so disappointed when Gemma kissed Simon in front of everyone at the party. But then maybe you are right - Ros eyeing up the young doctor colleague she works with is probably just a ruse to put Gemma off the adulterous scent.

I'm surprised that in a small village like that nobody knows - or seems to be aware of, apart from Ros - Simon's weakness for women.:p

Ah I thought Carly didn't get a good view at all. I tried to see the woman he was kissing, it was hard to tell but it didn't look like the younger woman it looked more like Anna but it's hard to tell. He's probably got a few of them on the go, all of whom think they're the only one he's sleeping with :D

Maybe Isobel is his daughter rather than Kate. And I thought it was a strange thing to say in his speech about Gemma being "not a bad little earner." He didn't say he loved her though. He obviously had something to get away from when he went to London.
  • Options
    clara28clara28 Posts: 1,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I loved, was thoroughly gripped and was hoping they'd say 'continued tomorrow night'.

Yes disbelief needed to be suspended bu I thought Suranne Jones was fantastic in her portrayal of a woman who's on the brink.

Clearly blackmailing that bloke and threatening him with cigarette burns is an indication that her dark side will erupt over the coming episodes. There has to be a point where her husband is flailing around in the water.

Also.............I'm worried for her son. Something's definitely going to happen to him, he seems too sweet and delicate to survive! Sorry chum but them's the rules!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think young blonde woman is his daughter, the photos on the secret phone weren't father/daughter pics.
  • Options
    CharkyCharky Posts: 570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I kept rewinding after I'd seen it, thinking 'I'm sure I know that place.' (where they went to 'Ciao' for a meal). Then I realised it's Hitchin, 10 minutes down the road from me and a place I love going to lol
  • Options
    elfcurryelfcurry Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fair enough after an hour. But people are posting on here when the show is on, 10 minutes or so in saying things like 'This is slow' or ''This is dull'
    People need to STEP AWAY from the computer/phone and watch the show >:(

I cannot for the life of me understand it.
    Well said.

If I'm actually interested I won't be online. When I go online afterwards I usually ignore comments made during the show. Simple. :)

If someone enjoys a programme and can post sensibly while it's on, they're better at multi-tasking than I am. Fair enough. Those people who decide they don't like something after only a few minutes of dividing their attention between tv and forum haven't given the show a chance and their opinions aren't really worth the effort or time to respond.
  • Options
    CreamteaCreamtea Posts: 14,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    I don't think young blonde woman is his daughter, the photos on the secret phone weren't father/daughter pics.

Not sure about that. All the photos she sees on the phone was her husband and the girl posing together. No real couple intimacy. No kisses on the lips. I think it's been left deliberately ambiguous. He probably is/was having an affair with someone but I don't think it's the girl. And I agree with others, Dr Foster threatening the boyfriend and how mercenary she was towards the old Doctor was to show she's not to be messed with and can be a vengeful person if pushed, which is probably what's going to happen to a couple of the other characters as the series progresses.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not sure about that. All the photos she sees on the phone was her husband and the girl posing together. No real couple intimacy. No kisses on the lips. I think it's been left deliberately ambiguous. He probably is/was having an affair with someone but I don't think it's the girl. And I agree with others, Dr Foster threatening the boyfriend and how mercenary she was towards the old Doctor was to show she's not to be messed with and can be a vengeful person if pushed, which is probably what's going to happen to a couple of the other characters as the series progresses.

I was just about to say that! You could take the photos either way, they aren't really "sexual." The photo with Becky and the other couple makes it look like a foursome and I did think maybe Isobel was his daughter, but it could be a red herring. Maybe it's a town of swingers :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Being the geek I am I re-watched and paused at the photo parts. The photo of her sitting on his lap could indeed be an innocent father/daughter pic but the next one is of him with eyes closed and nuzzling into her. If that's a father/daughter photo it's an odd relationship!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was just about to say that! You could take the photos either way, they aren't really "sexual." The photo with Becky and the other couple makes it look like a foursome and I did think maybe Isobel was his daughter, but it could be a red herring. Maybe it's a town of swingers :D

Or maybe Devil Worshippers!!! :D
    Her son could be up for human sacrifice!!!
    Okay I'm joking but I'm convinced it's going to get more bonkers! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clara28 wrote: »
    Being the geek I am I re-watched and paused at the photo parts. The photo of her sitting on his lap could indeed be an innocent father/daughter pic but the next one is of him with eyes closed and nuzzling into her. If that's a father/daughter photo it's an odd relationship!

Was just reading an article on Buzzfeed about celeb Dads and there's a picture of David Beckham with his eldest son and David is doing something similar. Change the context of those photos and you could ascribe anything to it.
    http://www.buzzfeed.com/elliewoodward/times-men-gave-us-intense-dilf-goals?utm_term=.ikJygpgwZq
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Nice to know it's not just me!

You're right 0...0, it's daft but I like it.

I like it too and will definitely watch to the last episode. But it became pure fiction for me when she threatened the domestically violent boyfriend and he then left the flat. As if that would happen. DV perpetrators don't go unless physically removed or they meet another more promising victim. And inveigling his victim into spying for her on the promise of some sleeping pills! Oh dear. But I shall still watch to t'end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Or maybe Devil Worshippers!!! :D
    Her son could be up for human sacrifice!!!
    Okay I'm joking but I'm convinced it's going to get more bonkers! :D

I reckon he's fathered a few children in the place :D If he's not Kate's dad he could be her little brother's dad! I just hope he isn't having an affair with Kate then finds out he's her dad :o It's getting weirder :D Sounds like an episode of The Jeremy Kyle Show.

It's fun trying to guess what's going to happen. It's probably going to be a total let down now after all these theories!
  • Options
    Ess_BeeEss_Bee Posts: 7,716
    Forum Member
    Watched it and enjoyed it. I'm not convinced it's an affair. I think she might be a secret daughter from an affair years ago. The woman who said she saw them kissing, we didn't see a full on snog. Doctor Foster will go into paranoid overdrive and kill one of them, only to find out it's not what she thought.

If she's a secret daughter why would he hide it from Dr F? It's nothing to be ashamed of.