Why doesn't my IPod sync with my PC?

Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok, it's a 5th gen IPod touch and my PC is Windows XP (by the way it also doesn't sync on my other halves laptop which is Windows Vista)

It's 'new' even though I've had it for a while. I've never got round to doing anything with it.

I have itunes on my PC. The IPod was updated yesterday to IOS7.1 and I tried to sync it to my PC but it wasn't having any of it. I plugged the lead into the IPod and the other end into the PC and ......nothing. According to a video on YYou Tube it should show up on the LH side of itunes as a device, I don't even have a Device listing there even though I've sync'd my IPad to the same PC.

It's probably something simple (bit like me) but can anyone help me, it's doing my head in.

MTIA

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    If the ipod detected by windows? It should have a pop up windows saying that it's installing new hardware (which it should do automatically).

Does the ipod should up in windows explorer?

If not there may be a reason, try a different USB port.
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the ipod detected by windows? It should have a pop up windows saying that it's installing new hardware (which it should do automatically).

Does the ipod should up in windows explorer?

If not there may be a reason, try a different USB port.

Yes, it did detect the IPod and it installed hardware.

No, it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer

Tried 2 or 3 different USB ports.

I'm baffled
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Yes, it did detect the IPod and it installed hardware.

No, it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer

Tried 2 or 3 different USB ports.

I'm baffled

Take a look here

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts1369
  • Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks Rodney.

I did look at the Apple support pages and couldn't undertstand why their instructions weren't relating to what I was looking at on my itunes page.

In the end I deleted what I had an downloaded itunes version 11. something and it all became clear.
  • charliesayscharliesays Posts: 1,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a similar issue. So much for trouble free times with Apple and their wonderful products. Fortunately I only use the ipod for the gym and I can get by happily on Spotify.

Even when it did work I still had to put up with the hell that is itunes....