Options

Tim wonnacott suspended?

Comments

• Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    I suppose it's a gruelling shooting regime, maybe doing 3 pairs of teams a day at one location, then the auction segments another day.

When you have Norton, Evans, the SCD presenters and judges on big contracts for little effort. it must piss off hard working BBC stalwarts like Wonnacott

He was probably getting the true rate for the job, the others were grossly over-paid.
  • Options
    MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Idiotic programme anyway, buying retail and selling wholesale, how is that ever going to work?
  • Options
    HHGTTGHHGTTG Posts: 5,941
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    Idiotic programme anyway, buying retail and selling wholesale, how is that ever going to work?

As I said, it's just a redistribution of junk for people that way inclined but as you say a lot of Auctions sell to the trade and so it goes full circle.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have probably dome him a favour it's the BBC.
  • Options
    simon_vale1simon_vale1 Posts: 627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    garbage456 wrote: »
    Just heard he has possibly had a row with a producer he has only finished filming half of a series

When will imbeciles learn they are paid to do a specific role not for services unwanted, he is or was a presenter so should have kept his mouth shut regarding how the producers run things.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moleskin wrote: »

And yet, it does work. The contestants frequently make a profit. If they continually lost, the programme would have been finished within a year or two.

(On an entirely different subject, I'm hugely irritated by this computers insistence that "programme" is a misspelling of some ridiculous American non-word.)
  • Options
    thomscnthomscn Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You Fall Fowl Of The Bbc And They Never Forget, I Don't Think We Will Ever See Him On The Bbc Again,. Their Is A God.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    Seeing as he's an antiques expert and not just a presenter of a tv show, I wonder if he got fed up with the fact that the show is faked in as much as as far as I've heard the producers actually tell the contestants what to buy.

You don't get told what to buy but you are 'guided' by the production team before you go round the fair. I was told that silver wasn't a big seller and so should look for quirky and wooden items. You can choose whether to heed this advice or not, especially if you see something you really like.

For what it worth, met Tim over the course of the two days and he seemed a very nice chap, knowledgeable about his trade with a dry sense of humour. This was nearly a decade ago though, so he may have got a bid fed up with the scenario over the intervening years.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    I expect they'll replace him with Clare Balding.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    I expect they'll replace him with Clare Balding.

OR Chris Evans
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it an idiotic programme?
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Actually they will go for the cost cutting idea with moving Daily Politics to BBC One, Now all they need is the Homes Under The Hammer presenter breaking the rules so they can move Victoria Derbyshire over to BBC One freeing up the news channel budget and what ever it costs to make both programmes.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When will imbeciles learn they are paid to do a specific role not for services unwanted, he is or was a presenter so should have kept his mouth shut regarding how the producers run things.

Oh yes, we've all seen how that works. The BBC employ some young, clueless, wet-behind-the-ears wannabes straight out of university. That's why we end up with so much dross. Bargain Hunt may not be up there with the greatest output from the BBC, but I'd be pretty sure that Wonnacott knows better than most how it "works".
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bring back carrot man dickenson.. and i never watch again.. anyone watch the crap he does on itv The real deal good show but he ruined it.. thinks he is bigger than everyone.
  • Options
    tonycollins100tonycollins100 Posts: 544
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tim is of the old school and probably told one of the immature producers exactly what to do with their pencils.
  • Options
    RosebuddyRosebuddy Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unlike Antiques Roadshow which any rent-a-newsreader can front , Tim IS Bargain Hunt.

While we all know it is daytime TV fluff, the BBC would be foolish to think they can fly in another expert to present it, or do the HIGNFY thing with guest presenters every week.
  • Options
    zsb37105qtyzzsb37105qtyz Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, you can't get rid of Tim and I seriously don't believe a word of what's been said. He's really professional and a great man.

If he's gone, Bargain Hunt will never be the same :(
  • Options
    dave_windowsdave_windows Posts: 5,937
    Forum Member
    The show hits about 2miollion which for daytime is very good, the BBC will not axe this cheap to make ratings winner.

I can see them asking David Harper . He did a show that was very similar for channel 4 before he worked on Bargain Hunt

Lets be honest we know why hes getting the sack and thats because the BBC want a younger presenter.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Tim isn't doing Bargain Hunt anymore, then I'm orf.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    The show hits about 2miollion which for daytime is very good, the BBC will not axe this cheap to make ratings winner.

I can see them asking David Harper . He did a show that was very similar for channel 4 before he worked on Bargain Hunt

Please no not Harper :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets be honest we know why hes getting the sack and thats because the BBC want a younger presenter.

Hmm.

They might want one, but I would imagine given how Wonnacott has been the main presenter for some time, he'll have some sort of contract.
    Now unless it's reached the end, then they can't just fire him.
    If he's been suspended, then it's possible that he has breached the terms of his contract in some way.
    The BBC aren't daft enough to create a situation where Wonnacott would have grounds to "slap in an IT1," or whatever. They don't look for these sort of situations, or contrive them. They don't pay Valerie Hughes-D'Aeth, BBC Director of HR, £295,000 a year (a ridiculous amount of money) for nothing.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    moonlily wrote: »
    Please no not Harper :(

Seconded. And while we're at it, please not;

Hanson,
    Ross,
    Southon,
    Hanson,
    Plant,
    Pratt,
    Manning,
    Hanson
    Bliss,
    Rawle,
    or the demented puppy. (OH's vote. I'd certainly have her.)
    Did I mention Hanson?

Just leaves Laidlaw or the divine Trevanion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Seconded. And while we're at it, please not;

Hanson,
    Ross,
    Southon,
    Hanson,
    Plant,
    Pratt,
    Manning,
    Hanson
    Bliss,
    Rawle,
    or the demented puppy. (OH's vote. I'd certainly have her.)
    Did I mention Hanson?

Just leaves Laidlaw or the divine Trevanion.

What about Fiona Bruce? "She's knows about antiques."

Eh?
  • Options
    COTTONHEATCOTTONHEAT Posts: 12,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it will be Christina Trevanion as she is currently filming it as one of the Guest Presenters
  • Options
    EVIL-MONKEYEVIL-MONKEY Posts: 53,872
    Forum Member
    Rosebuddy wrote: »
    Unlike Antiques Roadshow which any rent-a-newsreader can front , Tim IS Bargain Hunt.

While we all know it is daytime TV fluff, the BBC would be foolish to think they can fly in another expert to present it, or do the HIGNFY thing with guest presenters every week.

I like his voice over on th Antiques Road Trip he adds to it because he knows them all from the amount of time they've spent togther doing BH like knowledge of Hansons clumsiness!