Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Park. "Platonic" means that the relationship is not sexual but at least there is a meaningful relationship. In much of series 5 and 6, Martin and Louisa seemed like two people living as roommates, under obligation to take care of their child, with nothing meaningful between them. We grasp onto nuances in the scripts to infer that there must be a sexual relationship between the two. But Martin may be a man with low testerone and limited interest in sex. His back story is that he was an ascetic, celibate surgeon with no interest in women. It was always Louisa who initiated even a kiss. At the marriage proposal Martin did not embrace Louisa She threw herself at him and likely initiated the sex. She later described their sexual relationship as "on the few occasions". In what was probably the four weeks before the first wedding, for a newly sexual couple to have sex only a few times is unusual. Lack of an intimacy with Martin could be one source of her frustration with him. I think that should be one of the first things the marriage counselor addresses, but I doubt that will happen in the show

What a depressing scenario!

I prefer to think of Martin Ellingham as someone who is deeply inhibited on sexual matters as well as emotional, and very shy -- but in the right circumstances, very interested and even passionate. Judging from the legions of female fans who find him sex on a stick (or maybe that's just on FB), I'm not alone...:)

Now in S6, as it went on, I could see it -- he appeared depressed and libido often diminishes in that condition. And it well may have contributed to Louisa's frustrations. Though, judging from her p.j.'s. she didn't seem to be doing much about it.

Actually, I probably shouldn't be quite so cavalier about Louisa -- she's probably mostly exhausted and stressed, and that isn't exactly conducive to a flourishing sex life.

Mostly, I agree with Carol, above. The show has deliberately made the "private" lives, private. Some would say they've gone too far, and without the spice of knowing they are sexually interested in each other, it's hard to figure what exactly is keeping them together, given all their other incompatibilities. James Henry enough? only to a degree, I would think.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    What a depressing scenario!

I prefer to think of Martin Ellingham as someone who is deeply inhibited on sexual matters as well as emotional, and very shy -- but in the right circumstances, very interested and even passionate. Judging from the legions of female fans who find him sex on a stick (or maybe that's just on FB), I'm not alone...:)

Now in S6, as it went on, I could see it -- he appeared depressed and libido often diminishes in that condition. And it well may have contributed to Louisa's frustrations. Though, judging from her p.j.'s. she didn't seem to be doing much about it.

Actually, I probably shouldn't be quite so cavalier about Louisa -- she's probably mostly exhausted and stressed, and that isn't exactly conducive to a flourishing sex life.

Mostly, I agree with Carol, above. The show has deliberately made the "private" lives, private. Some would say they've gone too far, and without the spice of knowing they are sexually interested in each other, it's hard to figure what exactly is keeping them together, given all their other incompatibilities. James Henry enough? only to a degree, I would think.

I really don't know about the "low testosterone" issue. I prefer to believe that he is shy, but when given the opportunity he is a wonderful lover and is able to use that as a way to express himself. Edith came back and was highly motivated to get him back in her bed. Louisa stated something about "a few other times" because she was giving her history to Edith whom she saw as a rival threat. I believe those few weeks were filled with passionate sexual encounters. They were both "up" for the honeymoon........no, I see sex as a release and a means of expression for otherwise inhibited DM.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I really don't know about the "low testosterone" issue. I prefer to believe that he is shy, but when given the opportunity he is a wonderful lover and is able to use that as a way to express himself. Edith came back and was highly motivated to get him back in her bed. Louisa stated something about "a few other times" because she was giving her history to Edith whom she saw as a rival threat. I believe those few weeks were filled with passionate sexual encounters. They were both "up" for the honeymoon........no, I see sex as a release and a means of expression for otherwise inhibited DM.

Then there's the "optimally nutritious" dinner -- he was clearly VERY interested in having her stay over.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then there's the "optimally nutritious" dinner -- he was clearly VERY interested in having her stay over.

"Have some more salt".......LOL
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And he initiated the two kisses on the balcony of her house. The second kiss having a degree of hotness to it, as I saw it, for sure.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    And he initiated the two kisses on the balcony of her house.

And the sweetly awkward attempt at Carrie Wilson's party.
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    and he fully responded to her under the tree at the concert (just should've kept his mouth shut afterwards... )
    Forum Member
    And he initiated the two kisses on the balcony of her house. The second kiss having a degree of hotness to it, as I saw it, for sure.

Susie, do you happen to remember which episode that was in? I need to, emmm, recheck that hotness quotient ;-)
    Forum Member
    The episode right after the engagement, I think. S03e06 or 7...
    The first kiss was just regular (although having him initiate it did make me hold me breath) then he went in for a 2nd one and L just started to respond by going up on her toes and settling in for more lip time when the phone rang
    Forum Member
    The episode right after the engagement, I think. S03e06 or 7...
    The first kiss was just regular (although having him initiate it did make me hold me breath) then he went in for a 2nd one and L just started to respond by going up on her toes and settling in for more lip time when the phone rang

Thank you! I will re-view it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    Thank you! I will re-view it :)

Just for fun, a survey of kisses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FuS7wmVvSQ&list=TLFYDRnGNwglt_O6n4VGxCfriHM4mpKeVV
    Forum Member

In slow motion, no less! :):):)
    Forum Member
    Aw! How sweet was that? and how'd a teenager ever find that music?
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Philippa and Martin of BP have taken the love scenes, (very short, in reflection) to a new art form. You are led to think there would be loving conversation between M & L after an embrace, kiss, that would not be interrupted, or med-speak following, but alas, most times this is what happens. In fact, in S6E1 the most sensuous scene at the honeymoon lodge was when Louisa stands facing Martin and says, "Er, hello husband" and Martin steps forward and slightly pushes away her bridal veil and says "Hello, Mrs. Ellingham". Where else could that scene be played in this manner and the viewer taking away from it a seductive move on his part? I thought at that moment M & L had opened a new chapter with commitment, into their lives.
    Forum Member
    they giveth and then they taketh away

End of S5 he says "I was wrong about you, about London, about all it it.." She cries, we cry, he cries, we all cry..... and opening S6 he is still planning to leave and go to London
    Forum Member
    geeky admission - I now have the DM theme as my phone ringtone. :blush:
    Forum Member
    ...and why not? I bought the CD and love it
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    I so agree with this. It takes a sense of self-worth and acceptance to not be hurt by teasing and Martin does not have that kind of ego strength. (yet, at least. Maybe one day). Why does Louisa mock his vulnerabilities – don’t the villagers do enough of that? It could be argued that in some instances, it’s just her general frustration boiling over, but the scene in the forest wasn’t one of them, and for that reason bothered me particularly. They’ve just gotten married, they’re lost, and he’s trying to protect her. Why is she making fun of him? It just seemed so needless. Martin is complicated, and can be frustrating, no doubt, but, but I find Louisa to be pretty insensitive at times. What the writers were thinking is a good question. So we’re back to the issue of how inconsistently her character is written.

Okay, I have to disagree here. I feel that moment in the woods was very funny, light-hearted and not mocking meanly. I mean, couples can have fun together, and at times at each others expense. Louisa was obviously joking, and not purposefully being "mean" and DM knew that. He HAD been goofy with the horse and he knew it.

And we see her soon use the shotgun to tell the home owner to apologize to DM.

This is unlike for example, Louisa viciously mocking DM with Mark Mylow's sister, and then being mean to him again in the bar. That was just awful and for me and inexcusable. They were not married, together, sharing an adventure, having some fun with it. She was just showing a side to her that I found 100% unflattering.
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I love Mona's story. I have to believe that is close to what happened. Louisa was not disappointed to be alone with Martin at the honeymoon lodge and Martin loved the aspect that they wouldn't be plagued by the phone....oh what might have been. And I suspect anything physical went down the drain from there.

Thanks marchrand and Mofromco for liking my story!
    Forum Member
    I agree w/ mmDerkea. S06E01 was charming. The one w/ the problem is DM. L. is not perfect, but a realistic woman in her role/interactions w/ DM. it's not her role to heal or cure him. Like she said in S01E01 "you got problem" to him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    Okay, I have to disagree here. I feel that moment in the woods was very funny, light-hearted and not mocking meanly. I mean, couples can have fun together, and at times at each others expense. Louisa was obviously joking, and not purposefully being "mean" and DM knew that. He HAD been goofy with the horse and he knew it.

And we see her soon use the shotgun to tell the home owner to apologize to DM.

This is unlike for example, Louisa viciously mocking DM with Mark Mylow's sister, and then being mean to him again in the bar. That was just awful and for me and inexcusable. They were not married, together, sharing an adventure, having some fun with it. She was just showing a side to her that I found 100% unflattering.

I forgot about that scene with Mylow's sister........that was just awful, vicious gossip. I would have fallen out of love with her right then. Another one not as heinous is when Louisa had her antenatal appointment and Martin says "Aren't I supposed to take you?" And Louisa just blows him off......I don't think she realized what he said. Poor dejected Martin. This is what they do to make us like him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they giveth and then they taketh away

End of S5 he says "I was wrong about you, about London, about all it it.." She cries, we cry, he cries, we all cry..... and opening S6 he is still planning to leave and go to London

Slight correction: "End of S4..... and opening S5 he is still planning......
    S6 started with the wedding and them ensconced in Portwenn surgery.

Your description above is an apt one for S6 for sure. But then there has been that dynamic through all the series in some way, I think.
    Forum Member
    Oh yes, SusieS. Your correction is spot on! Thanks.

The PBS station that shows DM on Thursday nights had - how dare they? - fund-raising on instead. I hate fund-raising time on PBS. Grrrr!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yes, SusieS. Your correction is spot on! Thanks.

The PBS station that shows DM on Thursday nights had - how dare they? - fund-raising on instead. I hate fund-raising time on PBS. Grrrr!

Have to get Acorn TV..........$4.99/ month........all Doc Martin all the time as well as Reggie Perrin, Dirty Tricks, William and Mary and other excellent British programs......I sound like a commercial. I should get paid!
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haven't we missed the point of why they brought back Sally Tishell in S6? At the end of S5, both DM and Aunt Ruth agreed that she should not be arrested but needs treatment instead. S6 shows us that a person can be treated and brought back to be a gainful member of society. Although I have doubts as to whether she would be entrusted to run the chemist shop alone, well, this is Portwenn. Perhaps PB wanted to make a point about mental health issues and the careless use of mixing drugs; that people are more understanding that she had a treatable condition and with time off from everyday pressures and good therapy she can return to a meaningful life. Another problem is that both DM and LGE are still not comfortable around her--whether she will be back for S7 is still a question mark. Clive needs to be back in the picture to be supportive of his wife, never mind the long distance marriage they have had in the past.
This discussion has been closed.