Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dead as a doornail.......
  • ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    Everyone is busy getting ready for Christmas.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Dead as a doornail.......

Christmas, plus Facebook seems to have taken over from Forums, in general. I don't like it as much for commentary, but so be it. There is also docmartinlovers.com which is more thoughtful than FB but as a blog has longer commentary, with lengthy posts that have themes and then discussion. Not to everyone's taste, probably (as witness departure form this forum to FB() but I enjoy it. Karen does an excellent job of moderating and stimulating discussion.

Still, I hope that DS revives at some point, perhaps as filming starts.
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S6E1 Sickness and Health (it was a really close vote!)

New survey this week:

S2E8 Erotomania vs S4E8 The Wrong Goodbye

This will be the last head to head competition. Starting next week, the final four episodes will be up for voting and you will rank them 1-4. Because we are in the heart of the holidays, the survey will be up for three weeks. I can then announce the winner and the final episode rankings just before I go into the hospital to get my other new knee!

The winner this week will join the following episodes in thee final four. You can be thinking now about how you plan to vote:

S1E6 Haemophobia
    S3E5 The Holly Bears a Prickle
    S5E8 Ever After

Here are the standings for the eliminated episodes. I encourage you to vote on this list each week!

1 S3E6 Nowt So Queer
    2 S1E1 Going Bodmin
    3 S1E4 The Portwenn Effect
    4 S3E1 The Apple Doesn't Fall
    5 S4E2 Uneasy Lies the Head
    6 S2E6 The Family Way
    7 S5E4 Mother Knows Best
    8 S2E1 Old Dogs

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html
  • marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Christmas, plus Facebook seems to have taken over from Forums, in general. I don't like it as much for commentary, but so be it. There is also docmartinlovers.com which is more thoughtful than FB but as a blog has longer commentary, with lengthy posts that have themes and then discussion. Not to everyone's taste, probably (as witness departure form this forum to FB() but I enjoy it. Karen does an excellent job of moderating and stimulating discussion.

Still, I hope that DS revives at some point, perhaps as filming starts.

Unfortunately, or fortunately, I am not on Facebook. I spend enough time on the computer as it is! Three to four months before shooting starts for S7 has to be a dry time for DM news. What I miss is the interval between S6 and S7 with hardly any news of what the major cast members were doing -- a part in a play, part in a tv or radio program in England (other than MC). When we had British members regularly contributing a lot more pictures and short videos were on Digital Spy (see JemmaAshtonFlickr) but technology moves on and some of us are left out because of stubbornness, I guess. .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    Unfortunately, or fortunately, I am not on Facebook. I spend enough time on the computer as it is! Three to four months before shooting starts for S7 has to be a dry time for DM news. What I miss is the interval between S6 and S7 with hardly any news of what the major cast members were doing -- a part in a play, part in a tv or radio program in England (other than MC). When we had British members regularly contributing a lot more pictures and short videos were on Digital Spy (see JemmaAshtonFlickr) but technology moves on and some of us are left out because of stubbornness, I guess. .

I hear you about FB. I have many reservations about it. Still, there are lots of pictures of MC and news of his current doings. There's even one group that's doing a week to week discussion of past episodes, like we have done here. Unfortunately, b/c these groups are closed, you can't even get a peek without signing up for FB. But the discussion here I think has been better -- somewhat more thoughtful and better informed. That said, I think purely text media are on their way out.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hear you about FB. I have many reservations about it. Still, there are lots of pictures of MC and news of his current doings. There's even one group that's doing a week to week discussion of past episodes, like we have done here. Unfortunately, b/c these groups are closed, you can't even get a peek without signing up for FB. But the discussion here I think has been better -- somewhat more thoughtful and better informed. That said, I think purely text media are on their way out.

I really miss what used to go on here. It was the perfect place for longer observations and sharing ideas. Too bad so many were scared off.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    I really miss what used to go on here. It was the perfect place for longer observations and sharing ideas. Too bad so many were scared off.

I've been swamped and haven't had the time to contribute anything. I'm still here and still enjoy reading what everyone has to say and can read quicker than contributing to the conversation. I've not been scared off, just got RL busy. Miss this and may need to set aside time as S7 gets closer.

I'm with several of you. I'm not on Facebook. It's too bad all of those "closed" groups. Especially on Facebook where you cannot be anonymous. We're fans too and would enjoy reading some of the news pieces and seeing the photos. I suppose if they are public someplace, someone can re-post the links here. There's nothing protecting that publicly accessible info behind closed doors on Facebook.
    Forum Member

Amen. I believe our discussions have been more cerebral and not so fanaticistic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lizzie_cUS wrote: »
    I've been swamped and haven't had the time to contribute anything. I'm still here and still enjoy reading what everyone has to say and can read quicker than contributing to the conversation. I've not been scared off, just got RL busy. Miss this and may need to set aside time as S7 gets closer.

I'm with several of you. I'm not on Facebook. It's too bad all of those "closed" groups. Especially on Facebook where you cannot be anonymous. We're fans too and would enjoy reading some of the news pieces and seeing the photos. I suppose if they are public someplace, someone can re-post the links here. There's nothing protecting that publicly accessible info behind closed doors on Facebook.

That's certainly true. I'm sure Connie will do that if reminded, and I'll try to remember also.
  • BloodphobiaBloodphobia Posts: 448
    Forum Member

You can easily create a Facebook account and be readily admitted to any of the closed groups. I look at the Facebook pages but no participation is required to do so. The comments are more like a "tween" fan page for Martin Clunes than even a basic discussion of Doc Martin. A few posters dominate the pages, but the moderators post interesting info about Clunes and occasionally other cast members
  • earlgrey152earlgrey152 Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    Count me in as someone who has been super-busy IRL. It's year-end at the company where I work, so there is a lot of pressure to have all the files completed and in order before Inventory begins. Plus all the happy busy-ness of Christmas gatherings :)

I have been toying with the idea of looking into different personality styles of Martin & Louisa (ie Myers-Briggs). I've made an initial attempt at identifying some key characteristics, but I'd like to have more time to review it and confirm my findings. Has anyone else looked into this previously?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count me in as someone who has been super-busy IRL. It's year-end at the company where I work, so there is a lot of pressure to have all the files completed and in order before Inventory begins. Plus all the happy busy-ness of Christmas gatherings :)

I have been toying with the idea of looking into different personality styles of Martin & Louisa (ie Myers-Briggs). I've made an initial attempt at identifying some key characteristics, but I'd like to have more time to review it and confirm my findings. Has anyone else looked into this previously?

I actually do know someone who's playing with the idea of making a post like that on docmartinlovers.com. I'll let you know if she actually does it.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something from FB: Hear MC in The Importance of Being Earnest radio play. http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jv0p
    Good for 3 weeks.
  • SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Courtesy of Connie J, here's a link to MC's latest appearance Friday night on HIGNFY:
    http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k4TRSmEIGRRj1U9B7YN
    She's currently working on the unexpurgated version of it that was shown tonight.
    Forum Member
    Thank you SusieSagitarius for posting these links!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I actually do know someone who's playing with the idea of making a post like that on docmartinlovers.com. I'll let you know if she actually does it.

That would be great. I follow that blog so I'll see it if it does happen. The Myers-Briggs has been discussed there briefly, but not in any depth as far as the characters go. I have my own ideas about their Martin and Lousa's MBTI types, but it can be notoriously difficult (not to mention completely unprofessional :blush:) to try to guess someone's type. Especially when they're fictional :cool: Still, it's fun :)
    Forum Member
    Hester_52 wrote: »
    That would be great. I follow that blog so I'll see it if it does happen. The Myers-Briggs has been discussed there briefly, but not in any depth as far as the characters go. I have my own ideas about their Martin and Lousa's MBTI types, but it can be notoriously difficult (not to mention completely unprofessional :blush:) to try to guess someone's type. Especially when they're fictional :cool: Still, it's fun :)
    Oh, yes, all in fun :) I have a hard enough time answering some of those personality test questions myself, let alone answering them for someone else!

But I know that there has been a lot of actual research on how different MBTI personalities interact with each other, and some of the challenges and difficulties they face, and I find that sort of thing fascinating. I'm hoping to have some time in the New Year to look into that more, and will be interested to see any upcoming posts on docmartinlovers.com :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can you hear the crickets???

Yes there is the Holiday season upon us and yes FB has sucked away alot of "players," but in general FB is more "Forum lite" than anything, just with photos.

Rob
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    robspace54 wrote: »
    Can you hear the crickets???

Yes there is the Holiday season upon us and yes FB has sucked away alot of "players," but in general FB is more "Forum lite" than anything, just with photos.

Rob

Hopefully this site will start buzzing come March as the production gears up and gets going!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully this site will start buzzing come March as the production gears up and gets going!

The very first thing we'll learn (on past form) is the age of the infant they're casting -- that's a clue as to when in time this picks up. Also, we want to know if Louisa's arm is still in a cast!

Actually, before that, we might have some information about guest appearances, or new characters -- like the marriage counselor perhaps? I'm still hoping for Judy Dench. At least 100 to 1 odds against, I know. Or if not Judy Dench, some kind of role for Miranda Hart.
  • carol_averycarol_avery Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    The very first thing we'll learn (on past form) is the age of the infant they're casting -- that's a clue as to when in time this picks up. Also, we want to know if Louisa's arm is still in a cast!

Actually, before that, we might have some information about guest appearances, or new characters -- like the marriage counselor perhaps? I'm still hoping for Judy Dench. At least 100 to 1 odds against, I know. Or if not Judy Dench, some kind of role for Miranda Hart.

I'm voting for Caroline Quentin or Neil Morrissey for the counselor!!! Although I love love love MIranda, I don't see a role for her in DM in my mind.

Can hardly wait to learn about the baby age casting call!!! whee! Questions will begin to get answered finally!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, yes, all in fun :) I have a hard enough time answering some of those personality test questions myself, let alone answering them for someone else!

But I know that there has been a lot of actual research on how different MBTI personalities interact with each other, and some of the challenges and difficulties they face, and I find that sort of thing fascinating. I'm hoping to have some time in the New Year to look into that more, and will be interested to see any upcoming posts on docmartinlovers.com :)

There's a post up on Meyer-Briggs at docmartinlovers.com
    Forum Member
    Looks like docmartinlovers.com is on the ball! It's lovely to see that others are intrigued by exploring the MBTI for Martin/Louisa - and I'm glad to see that someone else has had the time to pull together a post (and one that is far better explained than what I could have come up with :) )

Hopefully I'll get a chance to join in the discussion there, in between year-end at work and Christmas obligations!
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S2E8 Erotomania

After a year long survey, we are down to the FINAL FOUR!

Because we are starting into the Christmas holidays, this final survey will run for three weeks, with the final results announced on Saturday, January 10th.

During these three weeks, you will rank the final four 1 - 4. You will also rank the eliminated episodes from the last round 1 - 4. Please, only one vote per person in each of the surveys.

Final Four episodes:

S1E6 Haemophobia
    S3E5 The Holly Bears a Prickle
    S4E8 The Wrong Goodbye
    S5E8 Ever After

Episodes 5 - 8:

S2E8 Erotomania
    S5E1 Preserve the Romance
    S6E1 Sickness and Health
    S6E8 Departure

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html