Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    They probably threw it together any old how, then sat back and waited for the tweets and emails from us anoraks to put them right!

Looks like an office junior compiled it while slurping tea. A disgrace.
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Hey_Ho wrote: »
    Seems Beverley Turner is another, "I, I, I," type. Boring indeed.
    1st hour about children and 3rd hour about children. I didn't listen to the second hour, was it about children?

It sounded like LBC had just picked someone out of the street and put them in front of a mic.
  • Options
    MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    radiodadradiodad Posts: 2,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disappointed that LBC have gone with Fogarty for the afternoon slot, she was ok on 5live but on LBC i find her very very poor both in terms of presenting and her knowledge on subjects. The only thing i can think is that at the BBC she had a large team who did a lot of the work for her, now its just her and a producer she has to do a lot more. I'm not sure what her 5live figures were like, certainly breakfast were very good but then she did have a strong co-host. Ahh well better than Hosken then.
    Cayce wrote: »
    I find Shelagh Fogarty as dull as dishwater, to think she's going to occupy the afternoon slot. >:(

Agreed

I see also that Stig and Petrie have been split up, its a great decision as far as i'm concerned. He seemed in the last few weeks to be very fed up when Petrie kept butting in to tell everyone what she thinks.

This is just speculation and is nothing more than my on thinking but i have a feeling that if both Beverly Turner and Tom get established well and pull in the number that they will get rid of Petrie and extend them to either 3 hours each and then give stig an extra how or one of them will get 3 hours the other 4.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 38
    Forum Member
    (About 18 hours late, but...) God! Olly Mann can talk, can't he? I put on my radio as I got into the car at midnight last night and as I got to work 23 minutes later he was just taking his first caller for the last hour of his show.

Towards the end of his monologue he mentioned an update to the topic "that we've been discussing". "We"..?

I recalled then that OM was the reason I loaded my in-car stereo with a selection of comedy podcasts - I only ever seemed to hear his voice on the radio when driving to work.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1st hour about children and 3rd hour about children. I didn't listen to the second hour, was it about children?

It sounded like LBC had just picked someone out of the street and put them in front of a mic.

Probably, but I turned her off, couldn't stick it.
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    radiodad wrote: »

I see also that Stig and Petrie have been split up, its a great decision as far as i'm concerned. He seemed in the last few weeks to be very fed up when Petrie kept butting in to tell everyone what she thinks.

Petrie's always better as a solo turn. She and James Hartigan never seemed in tune when they did Drivetime.
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't believe it's getting that powerful. It seems less real falseful debates now with too many nicey nice how you doing mate presenters.
  • Options
    Mel O'DramaMel O'Drama Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    dfisher1 wrote: »
    No Ian Collins anymore on Friday, what a pity. He's a very good presenter and under utilized by LBC. I get the feeling Ian puts a lot of effort into his show preparation (research into topics - always well spoken, booking guests etc.).

Replaced by Clive Dull who is now on 6 days a week! :(

Absolutely agree with you about Ian Collins, puts others to shame. He is very well-prepared and professional.

Looking forward to hearing Tom Swarbrick, I have enjoyed him very much as a commentator.

Big mistake to cut Ken and Dave down - one of the best listens of the week.... Very glad to see J O'B still on in the morning.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Someone really ought to look into why a recording of a voice repeating 'One two, one two, one two three four' keeps bursting onto LBC's broadcasts.

I got the impression that it was the newsreader, perhaps preparing to record a bulletin for one of the other Global stations.

The last time I heard it on Nick Abbot he said it was his fault, but he may have been being facetious.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    occy wrote: »
    I don't believe it's getting that powerful. It seems less real falseful debates now with too many nicey nice how you doing mate presenters.
    You hit it right on the head but the problem is there's not many presenters who aren't like that out there. The only ones I can think of apart from the ones on LBC (James O'Brien, Duncan Barkes, Steve Allen and maybe Nick Abbot) is James Whale (Maybe), Iain Lee, Tommy Boyd (who only does 3 one hour shows a week), Nick Margerrison and Jon Gaunt (who is Terrible). What about you?
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I got an email read out on Steve Allen this morning.

Best part of the show for me :)

I've been in bed ill most of today so LBC has kept me company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I got an email read out on Steve Allen this morning.

Best part of the show for me :)

I've been in bed ill most of today so LBC has kept me company.
    I'm Sorry to hear that bad news! ;-):p

I hope you get better soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's a few interesting posts on here - http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2034623&page=2
    about what help think will happen in radio in 2015 (a few on LBC).
  • Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wish Olly Mann would leave.

I find his presentation style and voice so false. Sounds a very insincere man - as if he's been programed by a computer.
  • Options
    balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

There have been a few changes at LBC I see, hopefully for the better.
    The festive line up still looks as much fun as toothache, but I might have listen to a hour or so depending on the time difference.

Oh and a very Merry Christmas to all on the thread*

*even the ones who don't know the difference between politics and chit-chat.:D
  • Options
    CayceCayce Posts: 9,845
    Forum Member
    T*ts up already. Sam Pittis is going to harp on about breastfeeding. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.................
  • Options
    eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm Sorry to hear that bad news! ;-):p

I hope you get better soon.

Heh heh, I quite enjoy it. I've always loved a phone in, regardless of the topic.

And thanks. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Todays quote from SA "Tara Palmer Tompkinson - needs to take make-up"
  • Options
    gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Todays quote from SA "Tara Palmer Tompkinson - needs to take make-up"

Incredibly he seems to like her; she got a pretty easy ride from him.

He's tweeted a picture of a big Christmas cake one of his listeners sent him. An assassination attempt? :D

Morning all. :)
  • Options
    occyoccy Posts: 65,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the past couple of years the editorial guidelines have changed at LBC.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredibly he seems to like her; she got a pretty easy ride from him.

At one time she used to guest once a week on LBC.
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish Olly Mann would leave.

I find his presentation style and voice so false. Sounds a very insincere man - as if he's been programed by a computer.

The days are gone when I used to like him.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    At one time she used to guest once a week on LBC.

He reckons she had her own show. And every time he mentions her he cites how she used to arrive at the studio looking quite "down", but would nip to the loo and come out looking much happier. :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    He reckons she had her own show. And every time he mentions her he cites how she used to arrive at the studio looking quite "down", but would nip to the loo and come out looking much happier. :D:D

Don't remember her doing her own show. She used to appear weekly with David Prever, I think.
This discussion has been closed.