Options

Jedward

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Ouch! They're awful, awful singers. Has nobody told them?

Their voice have improved improved a lot though, if you compare it to their X-factor days.
    They were part of a talent-show called the X-factor and not the Voice, where the voice is the only thing that matters.
    Jedward are a package deal where looks, personality are important.

What really annoys me is that people still talk about Jedward's
    "15 minutes of fame" they have been around for 4 years, for God's sake and have proved they have staying power, Jedward are going to Australia this month for a couple of concerts and have their own show on BBC.

Because of their financial independence they can afford to be picky and just do the things they really want to do.

Where is Chico or Wagner for example:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    THey are still busy, but need to give up hope of any acceptability in the UK now. British people regard them as a joke & always will.

I assume the work will dry up eventually, but obviously it wont be for a while. When it does they will both be very rich.

I kinda respect that theyre a kinda 2 fingers up to Cowell, who has a very narrow/bland definition of what the X-factor/"talent" is, & theyve just gone off, been themselves in all their cringy glory & made millions.

I agree that the UK is pretty much a dead-end for them now... their manager booked them on too many UK talk/comedy shows where they were used as the target of jokes... it's difficult to overcome that image. Yes, those appearances paid the bills and then some... but, in hindsight, their manager took them down a rocky path.

They seem to be retrenching a bit now and do seem serious about pursuing the music career they've always wanted... which might sound odd to those who have not kept track of what they've been doing lately.

It will be interesting to see how it all works out. They don't have a mega machine behind them (never have had)... so marketing and publicity will be key.

They've definitely defied the odds so far... so hats-off to both of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've also been quite recently the image of another charity campaign of the Irish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ISPCA) so people still trust in their image and popularity to promote their causes.
  • Options
    rosemaryrosemary Posts: 11,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They still have a strong UK fan base, as can be seen (and heard) as they made an entrance on their recent tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClPBAPKVY

They have huge followings across Europe and Asia and are fast gathering fans in Canada and Australia, due to appearances on TV and radio (where they actually play their music)

The UK has trouble with seeing them as anything other than the inexperienced 18 year old boys from X Factor. but fortunately the UK is not the world,
  • Options
    Forum Member
    rosemary wrote: »
    They still have a strong UK fan base, as can be seen (and heard) as they made an entrance on their recent tour

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mClPBAPKVY

They have huge followings across Europe and Asia and are fast gathering fans in Canada and Australia, due to appearances on TV and radio (where they actually play their music)

The UK has trouble with seeing them as anything other than the inexperienced 18 year old boys from X Factor. but fortunately the UK is not the world,

As I said, what really annoys me that people endlessly repeat that they ran out of their 15 minutes of fame (they have already been famous for 4 years) and that they still compare them with people like Wagner (did he do any tv, record songs or give concerts).
    And yes, this pattern seems to be only in the UK.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I said, what really annoys me that people endlessly repeat that they ran out of their 15 minutes of fame (they have already been famous for 4 years) and that they still compare them with people like Wagner (did he do any tv, record songs or give concerts).

I agree, It is quite strange to see Record producers and fellow artists in LA and such places referring to them as "talented twins" and then read UK articles labelling them a "Novelty act"

Articles in other countries always seem to have a completely different tone.

http://www.spotlightreport.net/on-the-spot-2/interview-jedward
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    Probably gone the same way as most of the other 10 minute wonders these talent shows produce.

They've already released three albums which have charted around Europe (most XF acts are usually washed up and forgotten about after their first album).
  • Options
    River_TamRiver_Tam Posts: 10,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Quite ridiculous the 15 minutes of fame talentless twins rhetoric that still gets churned out in the UK, after working solidly for FOUR years in showbiz, doing TV shows that get renewed, 3 albums, hundreds of concerts etc.

They really don't have some massive PR machine behind them. They are very much a family business and in control of what they do now.

The concert tonight in Killarney was fabulous fun as always. Not all British people regard them as a joke, some of us go to Jedward concerts. The BBC are filming their 3rd series of a educational kids TV show with them at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    River_Tam wrote: »
    Quite ridiculous the 15 minutes of fame talentless twins rhetoric that still gets churned out in the UK, after working solidly for FOUR years in showbiz, doing TV shows that get renewed, 3 albums, hundreds of concerts etc.

They really don't have some massive PR machine behind them. They are very much a family business and in control of what they do now.

The concert tonight in Killarney was fabulous fun as always. Not all British people regard them as a joke, some of us go to Jedward concerts. The BBC are filming their 3rd series of a educational kids TV show with them at the moment.

At the last Jedward concert I attended in the UK, a few weeks ago, I sat with people who had flown from Russia, Australia, America, Sweden and Germany to see them, I helped a girl from Finland buy her tickets and I conversed with a girl from Estonia..all of these people had been to multiple concerts before.

For a "joke act" who are supposedly "talentless" people are prepared to pay an awful lot of money to keep seeing them perform...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i quite like jedward. they seem like nice lads who work hard. the music is harmless and fogetful yet i'll still have a bop at a party. I wish them well.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    THey are still busy, but need to give up hope of any acceptability in the UK now. British people regard them as a joke & always will.

I assume the work will dry up eventually, but obviously it wont be for a while. When it does they will both be very rich.

I kinda respect that theyre a kinda 2 fingers up to Cowell, who has a very narrow/bland definition of what the X-factor/"talent" is, & theyve just gone off, been themselves in all their cringy glory & made millions.

Although I have no interest in them, I do agree with your last par. They do seem, despite the odds, to have created a successful market for themselves and their 'wackiness' so good for them.
  • Options
    Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They seem like nice enough, harmless lads but - and I don't mean this as a slur - do they both have learning difficulties of some kind? I've never known of anyone their age who comes across like they do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They seem like nice enough, harmless lads but - and I don't mean this as a slur - do they both have learning difficulties of some kind? I've never known of anyone their age who comes across like they do.

They are fairly atypical and eccentric, ADHD and/or Asperger's syndrome gets mentioned and joked about by people. However if either of those neurological differences are the case, what they have achieved is quite remarkable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They are fairly atypical and eccentric, ADHD and/or Asperger's syndrome gets mentioned and joked about by people. However if either of those neurological differences are the case, what they have achieved is quite remarkable.

I'm a fan, but to be honest, they are quite unusual, which may explain why their fandom is so diverse.
    Straight, gay, fat people, thin people, ugly people, goodlooking people...old, young etc

And the twins know that they are quite "eccentric" but never seem to be ashamed about it.
    They are just who they are.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan, but to be honest, they are quite unusual, which may explain why their fandom is so diverse.
    Straight, gay, fat people, thin people, ugly people, goodlooking people...old, young etc

And the twins know that they are quite "eccentric" but never seem to be ashamed about it.
    They are just who they are.

The diversity of their fans is quite interesting. When I saw them perform in Vienna, there was such a wide demographic range... from grandparents w/ their grandchildren on their shoulders to tweens to, of course, older teens/20-somethings. It made for such a fun-filled evening.
  • Options
    victor melvictor mel Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever the defence put up for them they are not credible artists. They have furrowed a path for themselves and stuck with it so good luck to them. But they are a variety act for people who are not that bothered about music. They won't be playing Glastonbury or Reading.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    victor mel wrote: »
    Whatever the defence put up for them they are not credible artists. They have furrowed a path for themselves and stuck with it so good luck to them. But they are a variety act for people who are not that bothered about music. They won't be playing Glastonbury or Reading.

Nobody is defending them, because they don't need defending, and sadly, in this country they probably won't be playing Glastonbury or reading, but they've already played music festivals abroad, so I guess they're not too worried.

It' seems wrong to judge a person's entire life by how they were at 17 ..but they've a big enough fan base they can survive without needing the mainstream to label them as "credible" artists.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OmKV_GoeGk
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Provided they're not foolish they're pretty much set for life, which is more than a lot of other X-Factor acts will be.

Can take them in small doses, I feel exhausted just watching them on TV sometimes.

Will forever be associated with my grandmother's funeral though, it's not exactly appropriate to be laughing away at Jedward doing concert sound checks as you're following a coffin into the church.
  • Options
    quasimoronquasimoron Posts: 20,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They attended the Institute of education in Dublin ,a secondary school for very bright high achievers, so the answer is no. They both play a few musical instruments and edit and produce their own videos, so this speaks for itself.
    They were hyper and loud and I can see why they annoyed people. But they made money for being jedward and now they seem to be dropping the jedward thing age 17 and are John and Edward Grimes. aged 22. They are very clever, savvy guys.with a fantastic work ethic.

The way they were treated on the xfactor was cruel, the booing and all that but the hyper act came later, they were calm on the xfactor and very entertaining. I never got the hate as they are harmless nice lads.

I agree with the above about Louis booking them on comedy shows to be humiliated and the object of derision,. by has -been cretinous flopped comedians. Whipping boys treated as worthless., Glad they have moved on from that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

In your opinion.

I have followed their progress for four years and know that they are serious about music and that they are credible artists, depending on how you define "art".

I don't care if they never play Glastonbury or Reading or Glyndebourne Operatic festival to be quite honest. I enjoy what it is that they do and that's good enough for me. Obviously good enough for the many other people who buy tickets and travel not inconsiderable distances to see them in concert as well.

I really don't think they'd get so many repeat customers to those gigs if they weren't good value for the money.
  • Options
    pollipolli Posts: 2,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*not credible artists* is a stupid label used to deride those who don't bang out top ten songs by rote.
    There are many artists who have massive following but because their look/style doesn't tick the XF boxes of "you owned the stage.......you look like a star." bs, they are sidelined as *not credible*.
    John & Edward played the clowns to get air time and an inroad into the business.Now they are ready to move on to another phase in their career and considering their musical talents alone they have as much chance of playing a big festival as anyone else with a bit of talent.There have been some right eejits played in the festivals as well as serious current artists.
    These are nice young men that I'd be proud for my kid to emulate and I wish them well.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've improved a lot vocally in recent years. They did this live and unplugged performance on Irish TV recently (I'm sure many viewers were surprised to discover they could play guitar) :

www.youtube.com/watch?v=aL4buadf8gQ
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    polli wrote: »
    *not credible artists* is a stupid label used to deride those who don't bang out top ten songs by rote.
    There are many artists who have massive following but because their look/style doesn't tick the XF boxes of "you owned the stage.......you look like a star." bs, they are sidelined as *not credible*.
    John & Edward played the clowns to get air time and an inroad into the business.Now they are ready to move on to another phase in their career and considering their musical talents alone they have as much chance of playing a big festival as anyone else with a bit of talent.There have been some right eejits played in the festivals as well as serious current artists.
    These are nice young men that I'd be proud for my kid to emulate and I wish them well.

I was talking about real musicians not X factor puppets or top ten pop.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was talking about real musicians not X factor puppets or top ten pop.

They manage themselves, make their own music videos, do all their own styling, are writing songs, John plays his guitar on stage now, they both sing.

They don't have Simon Cowell backing them, they haven't performed on the X factor since they left the show. In what possible universe can they be considered X factor puppets?

Does that mean if any of these Glastonbury or Reading festival bands got a top ten hit or appeared on X factor to plug their music suddenly they wouldn't be real musicians?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They manage themselves, make their own music videos, do all their own styling, are writing songs, John plays his guitar on stage now, they both sing.

They don't have Simon Cowell backing them, they haven't performed on the X factor since they left the show. In what possible universe can they be considered X factor puppets?

Does that mean if any of these Glastonbury or Reading festival bands got a top ten hit or appeared on X factor to plug their music suddenly they wouldn't be real musicians?

Sorry but life is too short. I get it you like ***ward.