Options

Malaysian Airline 777 missing 239 feared dead

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's not speculation, it's fantasy and it has no place in Newspapers.

The Internet is the place for cranks.

Indeed. It's been a while since anyone asked how we can't find a plane this big even though we could put a man on the moon...
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pentagon are (naturally) disputing the claims that the US shot it down, article here:

http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/2014/12/23/did-navy-shoot-down-mh370/20807653/
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The search for MH370 has ended and has been declared an accident all passengers now persumed dead.

http://news.sky.com/story/1417191/mh370-loss-an-accident-all-on-board-dead
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    How can no bodies be found ?
  • Options
    SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good grief
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    The search for MH370 has ended and has been declared an accident all passengers now persumed dead.

http://news.sky.com/story/1417191/mh370-loss-an-accident-all-on-board-dead

This is a somewhat misleading article as the search has not been called off.

The statement is simply part of the formal process which changes the status of the passengers and crew from "missing" to "dead", thereby allowing relatives to pursue claims for compensation from the airline and insurers.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's more a closure for the families than anything else.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    It's also a reasonably important legal measure, as it means that various parts of the legal process for compensation etc can now start going ahead (and I suspect that the passengers and crew can now be legally declared dead).
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    10 months is a long time before declaring them dead. It's not as if they were going to be discovered after 9 months living on a desert island or the plane found at the bottom of the ocean with them alive in an air bubble. This could surely have been done after a few weeks and helped ease the relatives burden.
  • Options
    Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder how much longer Malaysia Airlines can continue in business?
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    10 months is a long time before declaring them dead. It's not as if they were going to be discovered after 9 months living on a desert island or the plane found at the bottom of the ocean with them alive in an air bubble. This could surely have been done after a few weeks and helped ease the relatives burden.

There was an announcement after a couple of weeks, but that was pretty much met with hostility all round.

Even now, this latest announcement has been criticised by some friends/family members as being too soon as they clearly believe the aircraft is parked on some desert island or was spirited off to a secret destination for reasons unknown. I wasn't in the slightest surprised to hear Sarah Bajc claim the the Malaysian government and airline are "lying" with regard to this latest announcement.

Basically, the Malaysian authorities can't win. If they didn't declare the passengers to be officially dead, they'd be criticised for not allowing the families to pursue their claims for full compensation. When they do make such a declaration, they're accused of lying!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    wow, coming up for a year :(
  • Options
    DixDix Posts: 79,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Blimey.....where've you been for the last month? :o

You wrote NN d@ove. :D

Hiya Bg, just realised what you meant re cooing. :D

But on a sad note, you seen the latest CNN link?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/29/asia/malaysia-missing-mh370/index.html

They are continuiing the search, but they reckon everyone is dead, and the relatives can continue to ask for compensation. Makes me feel deflated, and wish more could have been done. :(:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Hiya Bg, just realised what you meant re cooing. :D

But on a sad note, you seen the latest CNN link?
    http://edition.cnn.com/2015/01/29/asia/malaysia-missing-mh370/index.html

They are continuiing the search, but they reckon everyone is dead, and the relatives can continue to ask for compensation. Makes me feel deflated, and wish more could have been done. :(:(
    Yes it's just closure to enable the families to get on with the business of pursuing compensation.

However......Sweet Princess has been very quiet lately. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soz didn't see above posts afore I posted mine, never mind.

They had a chance of finding some bodies last year, but missed their chance. That investigation should never be closed! If the relatives feel their family members are still alive, then they should start the search for them, even if the chances are slim. They should start when the Plane went missing, as there are 6 hours to account for, look at those 6 hours more closely.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »
    Yes it's just closure to enable the families to get on with the business of pursuing compensation.

However......Sweet Princess has been very quiet lately. :cool:

Sweet Princess sounds like the name of a Cruise ship;-):D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of cruise liners, there was one in the Malacca Strait at the time when the plane vanished. It's captain is a man of many words, and has a blog. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dix wrote: »
    Soz didn't see above posts afore I posted mine, never mind.

They had a chance of finding some bodies last year, but missed their chance. That investigation should never be closed! If the relatives feel their family members are still alive, then they should start the search for them, even if the chances are slim. They should start when the Plane went missing, as there are 6 hours to account for, look at those 6 hours more closely.
    It won't be closed physically until they find something.....just closed officially. All are dead but without legal certification (until now) the families haven't been able to start compensation procedures.

Now they can.
  • Options
    wjongwjong Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Statement by Malaysia declaring MH370 an accident

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2015/january/mr001_2015.aspx
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member
    MH 370 video update on CNN. http://edition.cnn.com/videos/world/2015/02/18/pkg-coren-flight-mh370-search.cnn

Nothing found as yet, 4 ships involved, one third of the priority search area now covered.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that the Daily Mail online today has got the oil rig worker story up and going again with his insistence that MH370 is not where they are searching but came down in the South China Sea and that he saw it. Apparently he has lost his job, although whether it really is because of his insistence on this I am unsure. Nearly a year later and not one person I have ever spoken to about this actually believes the truth is being told. Good to see this thread remaining active. It must never be forgotten until there is an answer, which is out there somewhere.
  • Options
    gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    I see that the Daily Mail online today has got the oil rig worker story up and going again with his insistence that MH370 is not where they are searching but came down in the South China Sea and that he saw it. Apparently he has lost his job, although whether it really is because of his insistence on this I am unsure. Nearly a year later and not one person I have ever spoken to about this actually believes the truth is being told. Good to see this thread remaining active. It must never be forgotten until there is an answer, which is out there somewhere.

"An oil rig worker who was notoriously fired for saying he believed he saw MH370 'come down' today insisted he thinks the official search for the Malaysian jet is happening in the wrong place.

In his first detailed interview since he sent out an email to officials relaying what he thought might be the Boeing 777 aircraft, Mike McKay, 57, told MailOnline: 'Almost a year has passed, but I stand by what I saw.

'I've thought about it and thought about it, over and over and while I cannot say for certain that the burning object in the sky was definitely MH370, the timing fits in with when the Malaysian plane lost contact. I have been trying to disprove that what I saw was the aeroplane ever since.'

And so far he has failed to disprove it. Speaking at his Auckland home where he now sits out his days after losing his job as a result of sending out the email on his company computer on the rig off the south of Vietnam, Mr McKay said that everyone believed he had said with certainty that he saw MH370 crash in flames into the South China Sea.

'Unfortunately my words were misinterpreted. I was careful to say that I 'believed' I saw the aircraft come down. The email was never for public consumption.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2951991/Search-MH370-taking-place-thousands-miles-away-wrong-direction-insists-oil-rig-worker-notoriously-fired-reporting-believed-saw-jet-fire.html#ixzz3S9U3XKYK
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    "An oil rig worker who was notoriously fired for saying he believed he saw MH370 'come down' today insisted he thinks the official search for the Malaysian jet is happening in the wrong place.
    Seems very odd to fire the guy simply for sending out an email. :confused:

His employers are going to look pretty damn stupid if it is eventually found around that location, not to mention being whacked with a hefty fee for wrongful dismissal!
This discussion has been closed.