Options

What are Team GB's Targets?

AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm interested in what targets were/are aimed for by the British team.

Does anybody know in hard numbers what they hope to achieve?
Gold Medals?
Overall medal count?

As I understand it they hoped to get 8 Golds on the athletic track. Is this correct?

Anyone know where we stand at this stage in the competition compared to what we expected of ourselves?

Also can anybody who has a wider knowledge of sport than me and knows what's to come tell me where they think the best chances of gold medals are to come from?

One final question I'd like to ask is as we're about halfway through, well lets use yesterday as the absolute halfway mark with 14 golds, is it realistic to think that we can double the amount of golds from 14 to 28?
We got 2 Golds today, so that would mean an average of 2 Golds everyday until Sunday to get 28, is this possible or at all realistic?

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The target is to better the achievements of Beijing. Therefore the target is:
    20 golds
    48 medals overall

I don't know the answers to your other questions but I don't think 28 golds is realistic, but you never know. I do think we'll achieve the gold and overall medal targets above though
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are also targets for individual sports. Some, so far, have over performed (judo, canoeing) others (such as swimming) are below expectations. Cycling and rowing were always expected to have big medal haul.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Target is 48 medals

Athletics target is up to 8......that is medals,not necessarily gold.

28 golds is not realistic,though I think beating Beijing is very possible
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mainly Australia :p
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    28 Golds is unrealistic but not impossible. There have already been a few good chances that didn't play out.

The athetics target wasn't 8 golds - that would have been insane, we didn't even come within a mile of that in the 80s with boycotts - but 8 medals with at least one gold. I think we're well on for the eight medals (I'd expect more) and we've obviously smashed the 'at least one gold' bit. With more to come - Go Robbie, Dai, Perri, Shana, Mo (again) and the relay teams!

Actually, maybe insane medal totals are possible...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    28 Golds is unrealistic but not impossible. There have already been a few good chances that didn't play out.

The athetics target wasn't 8 golds - that would have been insane, we didn't even come within a mile of that in the 80s with boycotts - but 8 medals with at least one gold. I think we're well on for the eight medals (I'd expect more) and we've obviously smashed the 'at least one gold' bit. With more to come - Go Robbie, Dai, Perri, Shana, Mo (again) and the relay teams!

Oh, and Holly and Goldie!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, and Holly and Goldie!

And Philips if he makes it - sorry, keep forgetting people!
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    mainly Australia :p

I'm just back from a weekend in London. One of the best things is seeing so many miserable Aussies everywhere. To make matters worse they are even behind New Zealand in the medals table.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It looks like we should be able to beat both the 19 golds and 47 medals from Beijing. If we can do that and remain 3rd in the medal table it will be a great achievement imo.
  • Options
    iris beaconiris beacon Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    Most of GB's best events have already happened, so I suspect the second week will be quieter on the gold front.

I don't want to put a dampener on things as the team are doing extraordinary well, but there's already been at least a few almost-nailed-on golds that ultimately didn't convert and ended up silver or bronze (Star class sailors, Purchase and Hunter in the rowing, Louis Smith, Rebecca Adlington, Murray and Robson in the doubles, although to be fair Murray was probably shattered after his singles victory). It helps to be a bit cautious, I think.

If four of these had been gold, the Beijing total would have already been exceeded.

On the flip side there's been some pleasant surprises - I honestly thought Ben Ainslie had let it slip away this time, and I never expected Greg Rutherford or the lightweight double sculls girls to win or that we'd get a gold in the shooting.

I strongly suspect GB will exceed Beijing though, or at least exceed the total count but achieve an equal number of golds.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most of GB's best events have already happened, so I suspect the second week will be quieter on the gold front.

I don't want to put a dampener on things as the team are doing extraordinary well, but there's already been at least a few almost-nailed-on golds that ultimately didn't convert and ended up silver or bronze (Star class sailors, Purchase and Hunter in the rowing, Louis Smith, Rebecca Adlington, Murray and Robson in the doubles, although to be fair Murray was probably shattered after his singles victory).

If four of these had been gold, the Beijing total would have already been exceeded.

On the flip side there's been some pleasant surprises - I honestly thought Ben Ainslie had let it slip away this time, and I never expected Greg Rutherford or the lightweight double sculls girls to win or that we'd get a gold in the shooting.

I strongly suspect GB will exceed Beijing though, or at least exceed the total count but achieve an equal number of golds.

To be honest Murray and robson were certainly not "nailed on gold". In fact I wouldn't have expected them to get a medal at the start.
  • Options
    grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    M

I disagree, we are at 16 now. We have 4 excellent shots at gold in cycling alone, also BMX cycling. Still have lots of boxers who are only 1 fight away from a medal. 2-3 good gold medal chances in canoeing. Several chances in athletics, especially Mo Farah in the 5000m. Modern Pentathlon. Only 2 sailing medals out of 10 have been awarded. We currently lead both individual and team dressage and are strongly placed in team showjumping.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not forgetting one of the most "nailed on" golds is supposed to be the men's Triathlon, although I think that is quite an unpredictable event at the Olympics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Oops sorry, My mistake. I meant to say medals instead of golds. Honestly that was a mistake.:o
    You're right that would be insane.
  • Options
    RichN95RichN95 Posts: 1,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The medal targets for each sport were:

Archery 0-1 (0 so far)
    Athletics 5-8 (4)
    Badminton 0-1 (0)
    Boxing 3-4 (1)
    Canoeing 3-4 (2)
    Cycling 6-10 (8)
    Diving 1-3 (0)
    Equestrian 3-4 (1)
    Fencing 0-1 (0)
    Gymnastics 1-2 (3)
    Hockey 1-2 (0)
    Judo 0-1 (2)
    Modern Pentathlon 1-2 (0)
    Rowing 6 (9)
    Sailing 3-5 (2)
    Shooting 0-1 (1)
    Taekwondo 1-3 (0)
    Tennis 0-2 (2)
    Triathlon 1-2 (0)

Every other sport - 0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disagree, we are at 16 now. We have 4 excellent shots at gold in cycling alone, also BMX cycling. Still have lots of boxers who are only 1 fight away from a medal. 2-3 good gold medal chances in canoeing. Several chances in athletics, especially Mo Farah in the 5000m. Modern Pentathlon. Only 2 sailing medals out of 10 have been awarded. We currently lead both individual and team dressage and are strongly placed in team showjumping.

Thanks for all that info. I wasn't aware of all that. From what you say with the knowledge of where we stand on sports that are still going on it sounds more promising than I initially thought.

For one I didn't realise that only 2 out of 10 sailing events have been run. I thought sailing was probably about over now. And I wasn't aware that so many boxers were doing so well, Plus the horse based sports I didn't have a clue how well we were doing.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    Not forgetting one of the most "nailed on" golds is supposed to be the men's Triathlon, although I think that is quite an unpredictable event at the Olympics.

Yes, especially after seeing GB's women's world champion only finishing 5th...

Bound to win more cycling golds...Mo Farah may make it a double gold if he wins the 5000m..Robbie Grabarz has a chance of a medal in the high jump..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RichN95 wrote: »
    The medal targets for each sport were:

Archery 0-1 (0 so far)
    Athletics 5-8 (4)
    Badminton 0-1 (0)
    Boxing 3-4 (1)
    Canoeing 3-4 (2)
    Cycling 6-10 (8)
    Diving 1-3 (0)
    Equestrian 3-4 (1)
    Fencing 0-1 (0)
    Gymnastics 1-2 (3)
    Hockey 1-2 (0)
    Judo 0-1 (2)
    Modern Pentathlon 1-2 (0)
    Rowing 6 (9)
    Sailing 3-5 (2)
    Shooting 0-1 (1)
    Taekwondo 1-3 (0)
    Tennis 0-2 (2)
    Triathlon 1-2 (0)

Every other sport - 0

Thank you for this list. I appreciate you posting that.:)

Swimming isn't on the list though.