Options

Corrie - Tina keeps the baby? *spoilers*

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/soaperstar/view/313328/Coronation-Street-Tina-tot-shock-divides-street/

TINA McIntyre will go to war with Gary Windass and Izzy Armstrong when she refuses to hand over their baby.

Fans know that the Corrie babe has been paid to act as a surrogate for the couple because disabled Izzy can’t have kids of her own.

But when the little lad – who they call Jake – is born, Tina decides to keep him for herself. In sensational scenes next month Tina (Michelle Keegan, 25) tells them the baby, who she decides to call Joe after her dad, is hers and she will never hand him over.

Tina’s close pal Rita Tanner (Barbara Knox, 79) will even offer to stump up the cash to repay Izzy’s dad Owen for the money he paid Tina to be a surrogate.

The U-turn will send shockwaves through Weatherfield and turn the cobbles into a battleground.

During a fierce chat with Rita and her boyfriend Tommy Duckworth (Chris Fountain, 25) Tina rages she won’t give up her son.

She storms: “I don’t care whether they are the love story of the century, I’m doing this for me and my Joe. He’s my son.”

Rita interrupts: “But he’s got their genes.”

Tina replies: “I can give him as good a life as anyone.”

The new mum faces a backlash from the Windass clan and will even be given the boot from her flat, which is paid for by Owen.

Hell bent on keeping her baby she threatens court action – and Rita offers to pay her fees.

Rita tells her husband: “If I don’t help her then who will?”

But Dennis is not convinced.

He hits back: “Even if she goes to court and wins the right to keep that baby, do you think she’ll be able to pay you back?”

Comments

• Options
    Cuddly_CatCuddly_Cat Posts: 2,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I knew it. It was bound to happen.
  • Options
    madaboutcarlamadaboutcarla Posts: 10,832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can she do that though? Does she have more right as the birth mother, despite the fact biologically it is Izzie's and Gary's? I feel sorry for Izzy :-(
  • Options
    FallingPianoFallingPiano Posts: 962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Who didn't see that coming?
  • Options
    Vodka_DrinkaVodka_Drinka Posts: 28,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obvious that this would happen with Michelle Keegan leaving.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can she do that though? Does she have more right as the birth mother, despite the fact biologically it is Izzie's and Gary's? I feel sorry for Izzy :-(

I feel sorry for Izzy too but this was always gonna happen.

Doubt that Tina has more rights but Gary tries it on with her and he is violent, so if she can prove that Gary and Izzy's relationship is unstable and she would be the better parent then who knows how far the case would go in court. I doubt it will go that far. I reckon Tina will eventually back off, then leave to give them and herself a fresh start.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gary will be able to petition the courts for access as the biological father and also could be made to pay maintenance, however Izzy in the eyes of the law has absolutely no standing whatsoever. The mother is seen as the women who gave birth, in this case Tina, and she can not be made to give up her parental rights. It seems unjust, the laws were obviously made before the surrogacy in this way was possible, presumably the situation where a woman gives birth to a child she is not biologically related to was not considered. Basically the law states that no surrogacy arrangement is enforceable.

Interestingly if tina and tommy had been together as in civil partners or married he would legally speaking have been considered the father!

https://www.gov.uk/rights-for-surrogate-mothers
  • Options
    jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    syncage wrote: »
    Gary will be able to petition the courts for access as the biological father and also could be made to pay maintenance, however Izzy in the eyes of the law has absolutely no standing whatsoever. .........

This has been mentioned several times in various threads, and I think may even have been mentioned by a (medical?) character in one episode.

So why would tina need to take anyone to court over her right to keep the baby?
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was obvious that this would happen with Michelle Keegan leaving.

It was obvious even before then!

The whole thing sounds utterly tedious. Just give them the baby love. :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Isn't the baby biologically Izzy's and Gary's though?
    It seems sad that Izzy has no rights when it's her biological son.
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tina could be spiteful and not name Gary on the birth certificate meaning a real fight for even Gary o have access as he would not be considered the dad.its an interesting moral story...people always talk in adoption of the person who gave birth and biological mum vs adopted mum.but in this case it is the woman who gave birth vs biological mum.and with no contract,they'd struggle to get money back as we'll.
  • Options
    RobertfltnRobertfltn Posts: 313
    Forum Member
    I thought because it was Izzy's egg the child was hers biologically? I wonder what the legal position on this is. Anybody know?
  • Options
    Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who didn't see that coming?

I think even Stevie Wonder could have seen that one!:D But not the idiot Munster clan, Gary wanted a beybah and he wanted it NOW! Bully boy Owen who is supposed to be a canny street wise builder could have gone to a professional surrogate and drawn up a legal contract but no oh - he had to go to the young girl who was the local barmaid and at the time down on her luck and take advantage of that - I doubt whether any Court in the land would take the Windbag/Armstrong side
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    With regards to the money, what is the actual law? I thought you werent allowed to pay someone to have a child for you. So surely owen cant demand money back because legally he shouldnt have been paying it?

The thing about this storyline that i do find a bit odd is that to me izzy doesnt seem particulary bothered about the baby. Its like she expected to be detached for nine months and then suddenly have a baby that she would love just as much as if she gave birth to it. Its always seemed that she didnt want the baby she miscarried and shes only done this to keep gary happy.

I get that she felt odd and out of place at the baby school thing but surely if she was that keen to be involved she wouldnt have cared what other people thought.
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't the baby biologically Izzy/Gary baby, all she did is carry it?
    Sound tedious, don't why this crap SL being dragged out Tina should just give he baby and be doned with it. Now were going to have to endure Owen stomping around, Gary going crazy and Izzy crying
  • Options
    Janet PlankJanet Plank Posts: 10,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMG, we are in for even more 'I wanna bay-bee' from Gary.The doctors have told Izzy that there is no reason she can't have a baby of her own; so, if she doesn't want to go through with the procedure like other women, go and find a woman who will have children with you, Gary.
  • Options
    Joy DeanJoy Dean Posts: 21,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Legally, so I understand, the baby is hers.
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Isn't the baby biologically Izzy's and Gary's though?
    It seems sad that Izzy has no rights when it's her biological son.

Is it hers though?
    I have read somewhere that it turns out to be Tommy is the father so it must be Tina's after all.
  • Options
    Lizzie BrookesLizzie Brookes Posts: 15,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom_Willis wrote: »
    I feel sorry for Izzy too but this was always gonna happen.

Doubt that Tina has more rights but Gary tries it on with her and he is violent, so if she can prove that Gary and Izzy's relationship is unstable and she would be the better parent then who knows how far the case would go in court. I doubt it will go that far. I reckon Tina will eventually back off, then leave to give them and herself a fresh start.

We don't know that he does it violently. Even when he held Izzy hostage, Gary wasn't violent. I think the only violence he showed was towards David Platt when they had that feud and that was ages ago. Anyway shame on Tina. She offers to surrogate for the wrong reasons and then goes back on the deal. Poor Izzy. :(
  • Options
    valtimmyvaltimmy Posts: 7,158
    Forum Member
    Tt88 wrote: »
    With regards to the money, what is the actual law? I thought you werent allowed to pay someone to have a child for you. So surely owen cant demand money back because legally he shouldnt have been paying it?

The thing about this storyline that i do find a bit odd is that to me izzy doesnt seem particulary bothered about the baby. Its like she expected to be detached for nine months and then suddenly have a baby that she would love just as much as if she gave birth to it. Its always seemed that she didnt want the baby she miscarried and shes only done this to keep gary happy.

I get that she felt odd and out of place at the baby school thing but surely if she was that keen to be involved she wouldnt have cared what other people thought.

I agree totally with you!
  • Options
    priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG, we are in for even more 'I wanna bay-bee' from Gary.The doctors have told Izzy that there is no reason she can't have a baby of her own; so, if she doesn't want to go through with the procedure like other women, go and find a woman who will have children with you, Gary.

Also more of Tina shouty annoying voice 'Its me bay-bee' 'Gareh and Izzeh, find someone else'.
    I agree, this time they should get a proper surrograte and this surrgorate should live in Australia and the whole family has to move.
  • Options
    Bonny1Bonny1 Posts: 8,502
    Forum Member
    Robertfltn wrote: »
    I thought because it was Izzy's egg the child was hers biologically? I wonder what the legal position on this is. Anybody know?

I thought this too :confused:
  • Options
    nickymongernickymonger Posts: 11,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would hate for some twist like its tommy.the story is interesting as it raises awareness over possible legal/moral issues in situations like this when law hasn't caught up with modern medicine where women can carry children when not the biological mother
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,851
    Forum Member
    But it's not her baby, Gary is the father and Izzy provided the egg.

Why does she just give it up and then have her own kid ? I would readily volunteer my services to be the sperm donor as long as it was conceived naturally:)
  • Options
    mrsdaisychainmrsdaisychain Posts: 3,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would just hate this to happen, poor Izzy.
    After all those months of getting excited and prepared for a new baby, she won't give it up.
    No, don't like this road they are taking, it's horrible.
  • Options
    Holz_Holz_ Posts: 1,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That will be what SB meant about the "heartbreaking times ahead" for Tina et al then :( It was obvious since the minute they announced the surrogacy, but I was hoping they wouldn't go down this path.

I didn't pay a huge amount of attention at the time, but I swear the child was biologically Izzy's because there all that about the procedure being painful etc. And if Owen is paying her then surely they must have drawn up some kind of contract? Surely the legal situation doesn't merely say it's down to the surrogate to 'decide' to go through with it and give the baby up? I guess it is from what people have said but that does sound really unfair.