Women Forced to Cover up whilst breast feeding.

Comments

• nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the issues ARE linked because many who get bent out of shape at public breastfeeding do so because they see breasts as only sexual and equate the experience to 'getting her tits on display for all to see'.

The complainants may be other women, rather than men, so it might actually come down to how women view them.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Because the mother was eating at a table, with family members. If you don't like it, don't look.

This. I can't understand how anyone could be offended by a baby being fed.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But the issues ARE linked because many who get bent out of shape at public breastfeeding do so because they see breasts as only sexual and equate the experience to 'getting her tits on display for all to see'.

Yes the problem is that they see then as only sexual whereas when being used for breastfeeding they are not sexual at all. I agree that is those men's problem not the women's and we shouldn't indulge them by giving the sexual argument any credence.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You should cover up as much as you can, until you can deliver a three shot combination to the body.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This. I can't understand how anyone could be offended by a baby being fed.

It may be to do with the nipple obsession many have in the western world (especially the US - look at their broadcast TV) where if they see a female nipple they think the world is going to come to an end.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nanscombe wrote: »
    The complainants may be other women, rather than men, so it might actually come down to how women view them.

I agree that the complaints are as likely to come from one sex as the other.
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    I agree that the complaints are as likely to come from one sex as the other.

well i guess we could narrow it down.....what's the demographic for Claridge's Afternoon Tea at £75 per head? Is it mainly men?
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    It may be to do with the nipple obsession many have in the western world (especially the US - look at their broadcast TV) where if they see a female nipple they think the world is going to come to an end.

sigh...

Do we?
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Fair enough, it was in a place where people were eating so discreet is the way to go.

It wouldn't and doesn't bother me to see someone breastfeeding but it's not all about me or her so show a bit of consideration for others, it costs nothing.
    Forum Member
    bobcar wrote: »
    That's news to me.
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fair enough, it was in a place where people were eating so discreet is the way to go.

It wouldn't and doesn't bother me to see someone breastfeeding but it's not all about me or her so show a bit of consideration for others, it costs nothing.

Which means what?
  • jclock66jclock66 Posts: 2,411
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    sigh...

Do we?

A female nipple cannot be shown on an advert before the watershed, so there probably is some issues.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's news to me.

Don't you remember all the fuss over Janet Jackson revealing her breast at the superbowl? It was a massive scandal.
  • GeneralissimoGeneralissimo Posts: 6,289
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem here, she wasn't asked to stop feeding or to leave the cafe, just to cover up so that other diners wouldn't have to see it. The baby gets fed, the mother's modesty is protected and other people can enjoy their lunch without having to view it. Surely everyone is a winner?
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    sigh...

Do we?

Janet Jackson says "Hi" ;)
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why is breast feeding offensive to people eating. The baby is only doing what they are doing. Eating!
    If she were changing its nappy on the table I could understand, but its feeding.
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    [/B]

Which means what?

What it says.
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    I don't see the problem here, she wasn't asked to stop feeding or to leave the cafe, just to cover up so that other diners wouldn't have to see it. The baby gets fed, the mother's modesty is protected and other people can enjoy their lunch without having to view it. Surely everyone is a winner?

The mother's 'modesty' was protected anyway. Haven't you seen the photo?

Tell me, is there anything immodest about the first photo?
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/02/claridges-hotel-breastfeeding-woman-cover-up?CMP=fb_gu
    Forum Member
    Why is breast feeding offensive to people eating. The baby is only doing what they are doing. Eating!
    If she were changing its nappy on the table I could understand, but its feeding.

Ya, ya , ya, I'm thinking of others.

Btw, why did you slip the word 'offensive' in - I didn't say it.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing 'wacko' about discreetly breastfeeding in public. Feeding babies is what breasts are for.

Your antipathy towards any female who doesn't 'know her place' is probably somewhat outside the bounds of reason though.
    You still haven't 'got it' have you? You are so determined to pounce on this as another chance to rant off your usual misandrist views you entirely overlook the fact that this, like much more of the trash which pervades the media today (eg a bloke daring to wear a shirt with women on..:o...shock horror oooh send him to the gallows), is just another attempt to whip up some hysteria and do a spot of pot stirring.

This isn't even newsworthy and should never even be in a damn 'news' paper.
    Forum Member
    The mother's 'modesty' was protected anyway. Haven't you seen the photo?

Tell me, is there anything immodest about the first photo?
    http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/dec/02/claridges-hotel-breastfeeding-woman-cover-up?CMP=fb_gu

Was it taken live as it happened or a later pose for the press or whoever?
  • planetsplanets Posts: 47,784
    Forum Member
    i have to say, to me looking at her twitter when i read about this this morning before the thread started, it looked to me like a ploy to get some freebies from Claridge's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    Skyclad wrote: »
    Indeed. No doubt we'll get the mumsnet brigade telling us it's perfectly natural. However, so is taking a shit but I don't want to see it while tucking into my spam and chips.

Why don't the Mumsnet brigade stick to Mumsnet, why they coming over here moaning. Nobodys forced to cover up so shut up and move on. If you want to breastfeed then do, if you don't then dont
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ya, ya , ya, I'm thinking of others.

Btw, why did you slip the word 'offensive' in - I didn't say it.

But saying she should hide what she is doing while people are eating doesn't imply people being happy or comfortable about it.
  • epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet Jackson says "Hi" ;)

I was there. I didn't think the world was coming to an end, nor did anyone who was in the room with me. I'm from the U.S. where there are some vocal prudes, but we're not all like that.