Options

You do realise the vast vast majority want to work.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
Forum Member
✭✭
Don't you, I read so many posts going on about scroungers on the dole which are usually from people in work who do not have a frigging clue how hard it is to find work these days, when you have 150 applicants for 2 stacking jobs in tescos in my area you realise how desperate the vast majority of unemployed people are, please remember this before you tar all unemployed people with the same brush.

Comments

• Options
    SoundboxSoundbox Posts: 6,247
    Forum Member
    True, but there are jobs out there. There is an absolute dearth of engineers and companies are taking on the first one they find. One company will try to poach another companies staff by offering more salary. Honestly, truly abismal 'engineers' are being given jobs. Medical, electronics, engineering - vacancies waiting.
  • Options
    the sandmanthe sandman Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good point.
  • Options
    November_RainNovember_Rain Posts: 9,145
    Forum Member
    I seem to remember that when Morrison's opened near me recently there were over twice as many applicants as jobs going. A sad sign of the times.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    will_bun wrote: »
    Don't you, I read so many posts going on about scroungers on the dole which are usually from people in work who do not have a frigging clue how hard it is to find work these days, when you have 150 applicants for 2 stacking jobs in tescos in my area you realise how desperate the vast majority of unemployed people are, please remember this before you tar all unemployed people with the same brush.

great post, agreed, most people do want to wok, i know i do, hate being on benefits, wanna be able to look after myself
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Soundbox wrote: »
    True, but there are jobs out there. There is an absolute dearth of engineers and companies are taking on the first one they find. One company will try to poach another companies staff by offering more salary. Honestly, truly abismal 'engineers' are being given jobs. Medical, electronics, engineering - vacancies waiting.

Probably because most people don't have the aptitude to be engineers.
  • Options
    Steve_WhelanSteve_Whelan Posts: 1,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sure there are jobs out there but they require qualifications and experience. The vast majority of the unemployed are skilled manual workers who have been made redundant because of the economic downturn and now find them selves with skills and experience that no one wants.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    Of course people want to work and I'm sick of hearing otherwise. I know so many people who are desperate for work but there are fewer and fewer jobs out there and it makes me sick to see so many talented, intelligent people being thrown on the scrapheap. It is soul destroying for those people desperately looking for work and my heart goes out to them.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For whatever my opinion (or stream of consciousness in this case :)) is worth, I think more people would be more willing to look at other avenues jobs-wise if better training was available.

I know when I was looking to get back in to I.T. as a programmer many years ago, even being out of the industry for a couple of years was proving to be a huge obstacle.

I remember asking what sort of training was available to get me back into the industry and I was told that I.T. wise, it was the ECDL exam and that was it, so I shudder to think what it might be now.

Rather than forcing people to take any job, i imagine if you gave them the opportunity and training to - hopefully - re-enter the field they've left then you'd certainly get more people willing to do it. And if it's not possible to get them back into the field they've left, give them better help and advice on what sort of career they could change to and then some decent training in that career.

I know now i've got zero chance of getting back in to I.T. in any capacity, let alone programming, but I would bet good money that when i'm ultimately moved back on to JSA (as I expect will happen one day) that i'll basically be left flapping in the wind.
  • Options
    PitmanPitman Posts: 28,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the biggest scroungers and ponces in this country are in the Cabinet :cool:
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Stronger economic growth in the UK over the next few years will not be accompanied by a big rise in employment, a survey has suggested.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24894194
  • Options
    birdonawirebirdonawire Posts: 1,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For whatever my opinion (or stream of consciousness in this case :)) is worth, I think more people would be more willing to look at other avenues jobs-wise if better training was available.

I know when I was looking to get back in to I.T. as a programmer many years ago, even being out of the industry for a couple of years was proving to be a huge obstacle.

I remember asking what sort of training was available to get me back into the industry and I was told that I.T. wise, it was the ECDL exam and that was it, so I shudder to think what it might be now.

Rather than forcing people to take any job, i imagine if you gave them the opportunity and training to - hopefully - re-enter the field they've left then you'd certainly get more people willing to do it. And if it's not possible to get them back into the field they've left, give them better help and advice on what sort of career they could change to and then some decent training in that career.

I know now i've got zero chance of getting back in to I.T. in any capacity, let alone programming, but I would bet good money that when i'm ultimately moved back on to JSA (as I expect will happen one day) that i'll basically be left flapping in the wind.

Not quite the same as you Jason, but when I was in my forties I worked in Desktop publishing and graphic design, I then took 8yrs off to care for my father. In that time software had moved on at a phenomenal speed. I could have, at great expense perhaps taken courses to help,I could not afford to do so.

So having been out of the work place for so long I was not ever considered. I now would do anything, in fact I did. I worked the night shift in a supermarket filling shelves for over a year until an injury. I am now coming up to 62 yrs of age and cannot find work, apart from voluntary, but I need a wage, I am willing to work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It takes four or five years to become an engineer. It's one of the most difficult degrees and now that all of the financial burden and risk of failure is placed on the individual, this situation is not likely to improve. So it's a good job we can import cheap ready-made engineers from elsewhere to keep the wheels of industry turning.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    Stronger economic growth in the UK over the next few years will not be accompanied by a big rise in employment, a survey has suggested.http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-24894194

Shhhh that doesn't fit with the "things can only get worse" rhetoric that people spread on here.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,919
    Forum Member

How do you know the vast majority want to work?
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Shhhh that doesn't fit with the "things can only get worse" rhetoric that people spread on here.

Well its not going to get any better either
  • Options
    JeffersonJefferson Posts: 3,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Left-wingers started using the scrounger argument only after mass immigration reached new heights.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have found for some of the "unskilled" jobs our company offer, only about one in four of the people we select from the job centre actually bother to turn up for the interview. This suggests to be round our way only 25% of those out of work actually want a job. We deliberately select those local so we know transportation to work will not be an issue, and still they do not come. These are for jobs that pay around £8-£10 per hour so not minimum wage either.

And some of the ones we do interview make it pretty clear they do not want the job, but are only there to keep the job centre happy. Ones like that should have their benefits stopped.
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know the vast majority want to work?

Indeed, maybe the OP is clairvoayant.

In my experience the long term unemployed are quite happy doing nothing all day.

They are by nature unambitious, slothful and uncreative , so as long as they have ****, takeaways, pit bulls, and SKY, they are as happy as pigs in shit.
  • Options
    TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
    Forum Member
    Indeed, maybe the OP is clairvoayant.

In my experience the long term unemployed are quite happy doing nothing all day.

They are by nature unambitious, slothful and uncreative , so as long as they have ****, takeaways, pit bulls, and SKY, they are as happy as pigs in shit.

i didn't realise you were clairvoyant, so all long term unemployed, smoke, eat takeaeays, own pit balls and have sky do they,

i am on ESA , i am also long term unemployed, i do not smoke, i do not drink alcohol, i do not take druigs, im a law abiding citezen, the last time i had a takeaway was months ago, i don't own any pets, my parents have sky tv

i am most certainly not living the life of riley, i want to work, i am looking for work, any thing, any wage
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have record numbers of people in part time work who can't get full time jobs.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    We have found for some of the "unskilled" jobs our company offer, only about one in four of the people we select from the job centre actually bother to turn up for the interview. This suggests to be round our way only 25% of those out of work actually want a job. We deliberately select those local so we know transportation to work will not be an issue, and still they do not come. These are for jobs that pay around £8-£10 per hour so not minimum wage either.

And some of the ones we do interview make it pretty clear they do not want the job, but are only there to keep the job centre happy. Ones like that should have their benefits stopped.

That's funny because there are record numbers of people in part time work who can't find full time work.

Funny how they're not all running to this company you mention either.

There's clearly more to your story than you are telling.

If you have permanent, unskilled, full time, positions at your company, paying £10 an hour and you can't fill them, you're failing very badly at your job. There are swathes of minimum wage part time workers out there absolutely desperate for any full time work, let alone £10 an hour.
  • Options
    DinkyDooDinkyDoo Posts: 3,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband lost his job in September, as I work part time we decided he didnt need to claim for job seekers, not worth the trouble or being labled a scrounger. Hes looking for work but taking our family circumstances into account there is little about he can do. Way to many jobs here are on a rotating shift pattern.
  • Options
    hatpeghatpeg Posts: 3,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can split the unemployed into 3 groups.

1. Those that want to work, and will consider anything.

2.Those that will work IF the hours are right, the wages are right, and it's quite close to home (but they can be very choosy).
    3. Those that SAY they want to work but are better off on benefits, those that just DON'Twant to work, and some who are just UNEMPLOYABLE.
  • Options
    Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    hatpeg wrote: »
    You can split the unemployed into 3 groups.

1. Those that want to work, and will consider anything.

2.Those that will work IF the hours are right, the wages are right, and it's quite close to home (but they can be very choosy).
    3. Those that SAY they want to work but are better off on benefits, those that just DON'Twant to work, and some who are just UNEMPLOYABLE.

Isn't that five distinct groups?

1.Those that want to work, and will consider anything.

3. Those that SAY they want to work but are better off on benefits,

4.Those that just DON'T want to work,

5.Some who are just UNEMPLOYABLE
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    Pitman wrote: »
    the biggest scroungers and ponces in this country are in the Cabinet :cool:
    I concur.