Options

Friends Gripes

Comments

• Options
    Squealer_MahonySquealer_Mahony Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Sticking to Ross and Carol. They divorced in 1993 after not having sex for a year or so right? So how come Ben was born in 1995?

Because , and forgive the paraphrasing, Ross said they had "lots of good times before they split and ur hur hur hur one time after hur hur hur" or something along those lines to indicate they fornicated after they split up :)

But tbh Ross & Carol are a funny one , they were supposedly together for 7 years (thats 6 more than he was with Rachel for ) and after the first season or two it was like it never happened apart from the whole "ross three divorces dur" aspect
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Agree with this, my best friend says "milting" instead of "melting" for some odd reason.

Is your friend Irish by any chance ?
  • Options
    Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chandler wanted The Swing Kings to be the band that played at the wedding reception and when that woman that Monica got into a fight with at the bridal shop forced Monica to either keep the dress or keep the band, Monica booked The Swing Kings and gave the dress back.

But at the wedding reception the name of the band playing was Jungle Swing :confused:
  • Options
    Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just trying to remember something.

There were a couple of later episodes that showed odd behaviour from Ross Geller regarding hotel stays. One episode where he refused to check out until the latest possible check out time and then the time he and Chandler get an expensive suite, so decide to take as many free amenities as possible to compensate for the cost.

Is there any previous history of this anal behaviour? He stayed in a hotel in Vegas but no evidence of this behaviour, although his drunk marriage to Rachel may have distracted him.
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is your friend Irish by any chance ?

No, he's from London! :p
  • Options
    Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    Just trying to remember something.

There were a couple of later episodes that showed odd behaviour from Ross Geller regarding hotel stays. One episode where he refused to check out until the latest possible check out time and then the time he and Chandler get an expensive suite, so decide to take as many free amenities as possible to compensate for the cost.

Is there any previous history of this anal behaviour? He stayed in a hotel in Vegas but no evidence of this behaviour, although his drunk marriage to Rachel may have distracted him.

The drunken state he was in probably distracted him. But I agree, he sometimes seemed like the person who would want to be quite careful of his money in the later seasons...I know it's a small example, but for example, wanting to come back for more free crab cakes. However, when the episode in S2 about money problems, he, Chandler and Monica were the ones who were splashing out which makes sense because they had the better paying jobs. Some would agree that hotel stay with Chandler was just because of principle that they got ripped off, so I wouldn't call it "anal" behaviour. I'd probably do the same if the same happened to me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    I completely agree with the "home video" and Monica's weight, I don't think it was ever mentioned that she was ever skinny, but maybe she was and piled on the weight two years on from that video or something? You know, just like Chandler's ex girlfriend who he broke up with after she put on over 100lbs in one summer :p

Just watching that episode now and Monica tells a story of how her friend in 5th grade wouldn't go out with her because she was fat .. So that would put her 10-12 And adolescence.

ross and his hotel stuff, I think he was a bit tight at times (Carols new battery, the lottery winnings when everyone gave Phoebe their 50c) and he had a strong sense of right and wrong (the handy mans party)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watching that episode now and Monica tells a story of how her friend in 5th grade wouldn't go out with her because she was fat .. So that would put her 10-12 And adolescence.

ross and his hotel stuff, I think he was a bit tight at times (Carols new battery, the lottery winnings when everyone gave Phoebe their 50c) and he had a strong sense of right and wrong (the handy mans party)

I agreed with Ross regarding the collection for the handyman. He had literally just moved in so why should he contribute to a collection for someone he didn't know and whose services he hadn't used.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    I agreed with Ross regarding the collection for the handyman. He had literally just moved in so why should he contribute to a collection for someone he didn't know and whose services he hadn't used.

Yea it didn't matter if he has worked there 25 years or 50 years Ross owes the guy nothing unless he wants to make a contribution (He didn't, Phoebe did and that is her choice).

Someone recently left where i work and as i replaced her i had never met her, They held a collection and told me not to put in as it would be unfair to ask me since i had no idea who she was etc
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Although perhaps Ross could contribute as the retiring guy had ensured that Ross moved into a fully functioning building?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    Although perhaps Ross could contribute as the retiring guy had ensured that Ross moved into a fully functioning building?

Just playing Devil's Advocate.

He would pay for that either through rent or a set annual amount though, This was a farewell gesture to the specific guy leaving

That said the fact they wanted a specific amount from Ross made it difficult for him, He could have maybe given ten dollars as a gesture but they wanted 100 dollars which was unreasonable
  • Options
    susziesuszie Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    Monica has a side of the bed in season2 but is sleeping on the other side in season 7
  • Options
    Forum Member
    One from me, I think they should have extended the Mike and Joey relationship. Considering Joey actually introduced them (Admittedly by accident) It was just never mentioned again, Even when Joey married them
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

As annoying as Ross could be, I also agree with his stance on this one. It also doesn't help that I really disliked Stanford Blatch from Sex and the City and his appearance here as Geller's neighbour was around the same era that Willie Garson also portrayed Blatch, so I found this character equally irritating.

Off topic though, I do enjoy Garson's portrayal of Mozzie in White Collar.
  • Options
    djfunnymandjfunnyman Posts: 12,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can't remember that particular incident

I agree with Ross about his taking free stuff in hotels and with the handyman
  • Options
    Forum Member
    djfunnyman wrote: »
    I can't remember that particular incident

I agree with Ross about his taking free stuff in hotels and with the handyman

When everyone went skiing without him and they broke down, He went to get them in Carols car and after they left it would not start....So he got her a new battery
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't understand why Phoebes birth mother was introduced and then never spoken of again.

After making contact with her birth mum, her father and her brother, why were none of them invited to her wedding to Mike?
  • Options
    MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    One from me, I think they should have extended the Mike and Joey relationship. Considering Joey actually introduced them (Admittedly by accident) It was just never mentioned again, Even when Joey married them

There was no relationship! Joey and Mike were complete strangers when he set Mike up with Phoebe.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was no relationship! Joey and Mike were complete strangers when he set Mike up with Phoebe.

The poster never said otherwise, he suggested they should have expanded on that.
  • Options
    marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,680
    Forum Member
    I've just watched the episode where David turns up and Phoebe blows off Joey to go out with him. It's also the cheesecake episode and where Monica crashes her cousin's wedding. There are two huge annoyances for me in this.

The first is the wedding. How is it possible that Monica and Ross knew their cousin was getting married but didn't know who she was marrying? Ross got an invitation so would have seen the name of the groom and it would have at least been common knowledge around the family. The other annoying thing is that the relationship between Monica and the groom is never addressed beyond the initial shock that Monica presumably dated the groom. But was that while he was dating the bride? If not then excluding Monica because she once dated the groom is petty in the extreme.

The other main gripe I have with this episode is the whole Minsk thing. Minsk isn't in Russia nor was it when the episode was produced. You'd have thought that working there David might have noticed. The other annoying aspect of this is the idea that Minsk is so completely inaccessible that there is only one flight every few months there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just watched the episode where Ross & Rachel hired the "hot nanny" Molly. They are all at Rachel's birthday party being held at Monica's and Molly says she is going to take Emma home. Joey then follows Molly out as he is trying to hit on her. Ross & Chandler then notice they have gone so they go back to Ross's to stop Joey. Then Molly's girlfriend picks her up and Molly leaves saying see you tomorrow.

If Molly was planning on going out with the girlfriend why did she take Emma home? If Joey and then Ross & Chandler hadn't have all followed each other to Ross's was Molly going to leave Emma there alone?
  • Options
    FreddiePFreddieP Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    I've just watched the episode where Ross & Rachel hired the "hot nanny" Molly. They are all at Rachel's birthday party being held at Monica's and Molly says she is going to take Emma home. Joey then follows Molly out as he is trying to hit on her. Ross & Chandler then notice they have gone so they go back to Ross's to stop Joey. Then Molly's girlfriend picks her up and Molly leaves saying see you tomorrow.

If Molly was planning on going out with the girlfriend why did she take Emma home? If Joey and then Ross & Chandler hadn't have all followed each other to Ross's was Molly going to leave Emma there alone?

I thought exactly the same when I watched it!

The thing that bugged me in the very last episode was that Ross didn't seemed bothered that Rachel was moving to another country with his daughter, he was just worried about losing Rachel!
  • Options
    HiMyNameIsHiMyNameIs Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In TOW Rachel's Sister (Season 6), Monica is unwell with a bad cold, looking and sounding very unwell, and towards the end of the episode, she and Chandler go into their bedroom for sex. The episode ended with Rachel looking into Ross' flat to witness Jill closing the curtains.

The opening scene of the following episode, TOW Chandler Can't Cry, is set directly after TOW Rachel's sister with Rachel still looking into Ross' flat, however when Monica and Chandler emerge from their room, Monica has miraculously recovered from the cold she had 5 minutes ago! It's as if she recovered from the coughing and sneezing within after an hour!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Not sure it's been mentioned in the thread already but in the one where Chandler & Monica get married, Ross ends up sitting with the kids because he misreads the table number on Mona's card, one of those kids is one of the twin actors who play his son Ben and if it is meant to be Ben then he seems to completely ignore him!
  • Options
    endersandoaksendersandoaks Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Not sure it's been mentioned in the thread already but in the one where Chandler & Monica get married, Ross ends up sitting with the kids because he misreads the table number on Mona's card, one of those kids is one of the twin actors who play his son Ben and if it is meant to be Ben then he seems to completely ignore him!

It has been mentioned. There is a small scene where Ben questions why Ross is sat at the kids table. Although think you only see it ok extended version DVD episodes not on actual tv episodes