Options

Being late for work now acceptable?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_CardanasSteve_Cardanas Posts: 4,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hypnodisc wrote: »
    I'm a big fan of 'flexi-time' type arrangements.

As long as all of the work is done, it shouldn't really matter if you are 10 minutes late or whatever.

The only time it should matter is in a customer service setting, for example, but even then I've noticed that shops/services rarely open exactly when they should.. it's often 5 or 10 minutes later - never earlier. I can only assume most people don't give a shit.

is late opening going to kill anyone know it's not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    where i work my boss was also the owner of the business they often late.
    once they were an hour late so i walked down home after 30 minutes as i only live 2 minutes away from work and they told me off for not being out the front of the shop>:(
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is late opening going to kill anyone know it's not.

No, but it'll lose you customers.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Buses are mostly unreliable though and turn up late or sometimes not even at all, I get the bus from the stop just after the bus depot and the bus that gets me into work is the first one of the day and it will regularly turn up 10 minutes late and sometimes not even at all and this is the first stop of the day, sometimes they apologize and make up an excuse about why usually its engine trouble(I suspect they get carried away reading the paper or finishing their cups of tea in the canteen) so it makes me late for work and I regularly complain about it but nothing ever happens.
  • Options
    PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a real problem with punctuality :( My sleep cycles are all off so I never get enough sleep and I'm always a sluggish, blurry mess in the morning. And believe me, "going to bed earlier" really doesn't help. Getting myself out of bed in the morning and managing to drive is dangerous torture for me. As a consequence, I usually crawl into work just as my morning meetings start. We have meetings every morning at 8:15 and I'm usually stumbling into the room at 8:15 exactly.

I have been criticised for arriving in the meeting room at 8:17 on one occasion. I could have exploded. Yeah, I was two minutes late for the meeting. This does not take into account that on a daily basis I stay in work two hours later than everyone else in my department.
  • Options
    Danny_GirlDanny_Girl Posts: 2,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soundbox wrote: »
    In the jobs I had in the 90's I remember having to apologise if I was more than a couple of minutes late (and make it up of course). In all my recent jobs people are late up to an hour because of traffic and nothing is said and they no longer have to make it up. In fact there is more sympathy than moaning from other staff. Even when I was at the hospital there was a wait because the doctor was late due to the traffic.

Now I don't think it's such a bad thing but how is the timekeeping where you are? Does anyone care about lateness any more?

I manage a team of ten people and I try to apply a bit of common sense regarding lateness. You have to accept that there are sometimes situations beyond people's controls that make them late. When that happens I always expect them to make up the time as its only fair to the rest of the team. However, if its someone who i know sometimes works over and above their contracted hours to get the job done I write the time off as I figure its already in the bank. If I felt it was becoming a regular occurrence or they are taking the piss (not happened yet) I would speak to them privately about it.
  • Options
    BirdyBeeBirdyBee Posts: 1,528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My working hours are extremely flexible and I find it both a blessing and a curse. I've always been a bit of a night owl and now I don't have a strong enough reason to try and curtail that. Yet, when my colleagues are going home hours before I am then I kick myself. I really should embrace some early nights!
  • Options
    CrazyLoopCrazyLoop Posts: 31,148
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because I work for an agency, my starting times can change daily. If I have booked work in advance I am meant to be there 10 minutes in advance so I have time to put away my stuff and be in the room I'm needed in. I usually do make that time or get there within those 10 mins :p On on the rare occasion I have actually been late :\

If I'm on standby, I usually am not set to be there at a required time but 'asap' which is less pressure if things are going wrong (I use public transport) but if they've asked me to be there say 9am then it gets difficult sometimes.

The other day I had to be at a nursery for 9am (it was advanced booking) and it took me almost TWO hours to do a 45-1hr jorueny because I couldn't get on a bus (they were full or ones that my bus pass isn't for), then I got stuck in traffic, then my second bus broke down so had to wait for the next one. Eventually rocked up at 9.45am and obviously lost out on 45 mins pay :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was always in about 30 minutes before my shift. I had to do the shift changeover with my other engineering colleague.

Sometimes being the boss doesn't give you leeway, quite the opposite.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In the jobs I had in the 90's I remember having to apologise if I was more than a couple of minutes late (and make it up of course). In all my recent jobs people are late up to an hour because of traffic and nothing is said and they no longer have to make it up. In fact there is more sympathy than moaning from other staff. Even when I was at the hospital there was a wait because the doctor was late due to the traffic.
    I assume this is in the public sector.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would still make an effort to be on time for any appointment or work, but are you sure you are not talking about Flexitime when there is really only a requirement to be in for core time.

We don't even have core time now where I work, it was abolished a couple of years ago. Most peoples arrival times remained about the same, but we have one person in our team who now rarely arrives before 11am!
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Now I don't think it's such a bad thing but how is the timekeeping where you are? Does anyone care about lateness any more?

We work flexi time, so it doesn't really apply.
  • Options
    LollytrollLollytroll Posts: 369
    Forum Member
    Where I work we still have to clock in and clock out. If you are even a minute late they take 15 mins off you. There is no unauthorised over time either so you can't stay a minute late to make up for it. There is always a rush to clock out as there is no point in stopping as they won't pay you, that sucks if there happens to be a late delivery or a customer at the door. Once I stopped till 6pm unpaid with a customer.
    As a rule though I tend to be early for things always aim for 5 mins before I am due being of time is just good manners. (Not counting unforeseen circumstances)
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grumpyscot wrote: »
    In 42 years working for the same company I was only late 3 times - once for a car breakdown, once because of 2 feet of snow, the other for stopping to attend a motorbike accident.

Guess which one I got as bollocking for? The bike accident! I Went to a senior manager to complain and got the actual cop who attended on the phone who confirmed my presence and assistance. My line manager had to make a grovelling apology.... and I insisted that the whole event was recorded on my personnel file. ( I checked years later and it was still there!)

Good for you !!! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lollytroll wrote: »
    Where I work we still have to clock in and clock out. If you are even a minute late they take 15 mins off you. There is no unauthorised over time either so you can't stay a minute late to make up for it. There is always a rush to clock out as there is no point in stopping as they won't pay you, that sucks if there happens to be a late delivery or a customer at the door. Once I stopped till 6pm unpaid with a customer.
    As a rule though I tend to be early for things always aim for 5 mins before I am due being of time is just good manners. (Not counting unforeseen circumstances)

you stay and worked unpaid.when i stop getting paid i stop working there's no way i'm working for free.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    if she use public transport i can understand it.
    maybe she's got to get out dead on time to get the next bus i would do the same.

Nope, she drives, so that's not the reason either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Nope, she drives, so that's not the reason either.

now that is taking the p***.
    if you driving home there's no excuse for finishing early if you use public transport there is.
  • Options
    Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    now that is taking the p***.
    if you driving home there's no excuse for finishing early if you use public transport there is.

Agreed. Plus it gets backs up on the team because no one else leaves at 4pm on the dot every day - apart from another lady who has children and hence has to leave at that time to pick them up from childcare.

It wouldn't be so bad if she was amazing at her job, because then it would be seen as ultra efficiency. However, she's not. She's just competent and does her 37 hours a week exactly -- never doing 5 - 10 minutes more.

The reason it really gets on my wick is that she's said in the past that she's too busy to do certain things that would really help me/the team... but then still leaves at 4pm. So what she's really saying is "I've got enough work to last me 37 hours, so I don't want to help you out for 30 mins, because then I'd have to stay till 4:30pm and end up doing 37.5 hours this week".
  • Options
    Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had a lad start at our place and he quickly demonstrated that he couldn't get out of bed. Our shop opened at 9 o'clock but this little oik repeatedly turned up at half-past. It drove me nuts, but the boss seemed to let him get away with it.
    So I started turning up at half-past as well, and as I was chief engineer and responsible for the day's work-sheets at the time it meant that c*ck-all got done for the first half hour. That fixed his bloody clock.
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    you stay and worked unpaid.when i stop getting paid i stop working there's no way i'm working for free.

There are many millions of people who work large amounts of paid overtime around the country. Especially if you work flexible hours - you may not have to be in the office at specific times, but conversely, you work to project timescales, not daily hours. If that means you working 14 hours a day, 7 days a week to meet the deadline, then that's just what it takes.
  • Options
    Wee TinkersWee Tinkers Posts: 12,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've always worked in places where lateness or flexitime don't work. Other people depend on you being on shift on time.

Nightstaff can't leave the building until I arrive in one job and 4 year olds can't order their break and dinner if I'm not there in the other job. You really don't want to mess with either.
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    JimothyD wrote: »
    I usually swagger in around 45 minutes late, dump my stuff on the desk and say to any interested colleagues: "How do you like those apples?" Then I get off bang on time.

Do you sell any other kind of fruit, or is it purely seasonal?
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    Agreed. Plus it gets backs up on the team because no one else leaves at 4pm on the dot every day - apart from another lady who has children and hence has to leave at that time to pick them up from childcare.

It wouldn't be so bad if she was amazing at her job, because then it would be seen as ultra efficiency. However, she's not. She's just competent and does her 37 hours a week exactly -- never doing 5 - 10 minutes more.

The reason it really gets on my wick is that she's said in the past that she's too busy to do certain things that would really help me/the team... but then still leaves at 4pm. So what she's really saying is "I've got enough work to last me 37 hours, so I don't want to help you out for 30 mins, because then I'd have to stay till 4:30pm and end up doing 37.5 hours this week".

I have a colleague like that. At one point I was working overtime on two projects, and was asked to support his department because they were struggling because he was working only his contracted hours.

Our general policy at work is you have to be in 5min early most days, and if you occasionally you slip back to just on time or 5 mins late then noone bats an eyelid.

I can work from home, so I must admit I'm almost always out of the door on time because I prefer to do my overtime when and where I choose than being chained to the office to do it. It does help that my work doesn't rely on other people being there.
  • Options
    MrsceeMrscee Posts: 5,271
    Forum Member
    The first bus here on a Sunday is 9:55 am and my daughter has to be at work at 10. She's there for about 10:20 but they understand because of the transport. The bus times are terrible and she often turns up for work through the week an hour early and has to wait an hour and half for bus home. They tell her not to worry about being late as she does her 5 hours a day.
  • Options
    sparrysparry Posts: 2,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrscee wrote: »
    The first bus here on a Sunday is 9:55 am and my daughter has to be at work at 10. She's there for about 10:20 but they understand because of the transport. The bus times are terrible and she often turns up for work through the week an hour early and has to wait an hour and half for bus home. They tell her not to worry about being late as she does her 5 hours a day.

I've already mentioned my partners place of work in other threads (she works in retail) and they have a similar issue, particularly on Bank Holidays where they open 10-6 and it's either Sunday or no service on the buses. Anybody who says they can't get in for 10 is told to get a taxi!

I think they are opening 9am-7pm on Boxing Day!