Options

Hard drive recommendations

OMTTOMTT Posts: 5,459
Forum Member
After downloading Plants vs Zombies, I had a look to see how much space I had left on my PS4 as I hadn't looked before. I deleted a lot of saved video clip footage & other stuff taking up space which I don't need & I only have 97GB left! With all the installs on games these days, I'll have the full by the new year.

Can anyone recommend a good upgrade? Looking for at least 2Tb

I'll be getting it after Christmas, hopefully have them in the sales

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    Everyone seems to be going for a Seagate Expansion STBX2000401 from Amazon for £59.99 it's a portable drive but easy to open up. Inside it's a 2tb Seagate Momentus Spinpoint ST2000LM003 which you can buy as an internal drive for around £85. Hope that makes sense.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was £59.99 at Amazon and Argos when this (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-how-to-cheaply-upgrade-your-ps4-to-2tb) Digital Foundry article was published but 1 week later the prices went up. Links are at the bottom of the article.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
  • Options
    shoestring25shoestring25 Posts: 4,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yep same here the seagate 2tb STBX2000401 i got it for £54.99 amazon but now amazon dont sell it directly cheapest now is abut £70
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Amazon is great
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First thing I did last week when my PS4 arrived was use the Eurogamer article linked to above and bag this from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/2489935.htm Though it's gone up a tenner since then... a few quid more expensive than on Amazon but still cheaper than getting the standalone drive.
    Took about 20 mins to upgrade and I then sealed the old PS4 drive back into the enclosure to use as another backup drive. Sorted!
  • Options
    mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just thinking aloud here, is there anything needed to be backed up before switching a drive?

I assume all my saves are uploaded to the cloud, and I can download any games back from the Library, installs can work again when putting the disc in... anything I've missed?

Would saves be automatically picked up from the cloud or is that a manual process?
  • Options
    Bio MaxBio Max Posts: 2,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just echoing the post above - what happens to your save files - do you lose them??

tempted to buy a 1TB drive as my 500gb is now full!
  • Options
    iDirtyPenguiniDirtyPenguin Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    Your save files I think are saved to the cloud by default.

NOTE: Cloud space is very limited and mines was maxed out fairly quickly. I had to delete game data for games I no longer play in order to make space.

If the save is being made to your local storage then you can arrange for it to be shifted over to the cloud.

Settings > Data Storage Management (I think) and just follow it from there, it's pretty easy.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bio Max wrote: »
    Just echoing the post above - what happens to your save files - do you lose them??

tempted to buy a 1TB drive as my 500gb is now full!

You can copy them to the cloud (think that's only if you are on PS+) or copy them out to external storage, a USB stick or hard drive.

Also, I'd recommend just going straight for a 2tb drive rather than a 1tb.
  • Options
    ConroyConroy Posts: 3,031
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your save files I think are saved to the cloud by default.
    Cloud saves are off by default and have to be enabled.
  • Options
    The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went with this Samsung 1TB 5400RPM drive simply on cost http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007NVGWV0 not bothered about a hybrid drive or a 7400RPM drive, in the grand scale of things the gains are nowt to right home about.

By the time it is full a 2TB drive with be 30 quid and the 1TB drive will be wearing out anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Sack wrote: »
    I went with this Samsung 1TB 5400RPM drive simply on cost http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B007NVGWV0 not bothered about a hybrid drive or a 7400RPM drive, in the grand scale of things the gains are nowt to right home about.

By the time it is full a 2TB drive with be 30 quid and the 1TB drive will be wearing out anyway.
    That's the one I'm thinking of buying. And I agree about the 7400 - there's also quite a few warnings that it will increase heat - which isn't great when it's an internal power supply, so I just want double the space.

Would love a 1TB SSD mind you :D
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with cloud saves is the size of some of the files.

LBP3 requires 0.5gb for one of the saves. :o God knows why but with all the saves from my PS3 and PS4 I've completely run out of space so had to turn off cloud saves for LBP3.

Looks like I'm going to have to back up saves to USB before I upgrade my drive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's the one I'm thinking of buying. And I agree about the 7400 - there's also quite a few warnings that it will increase heat - which isn't great when it's an internal power supply, so I just want double the space.

Would love a 1TB SSD mind you :D

LOL wouldnt we all :D

If you are happy with a 1TB drive then that one has been great mate in that you put it in and it works (but lets be honest you'd expect that from any drive).

I think it said there was 879GB free once it was up and running.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Going to keep my eye on the price of the 2Tb Seagate one over the next few weeks and hopefully get it in the sales
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is there a way of saving all of the installed games and transfer them to your new drive so you don't have to install / download them again?
  • Options
    muntamunta Posts: 18,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    is there a way of saving all of the installed games and transfer them to your new drive so you don't have to install / download them again?

I don't believe so. There's no ability to mirror a drive so if you swap your drive then you need reinstall everything
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    munta wrote: »
    I don't believe so. There's no ability to mirror a drive so if you swap your drive then you need reinstall everything

Yup that's the way it works unfortunately.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hi guys

how do you get your saved captures / videos from the hard drive?

is that possible...
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hi guys

how do you get your saved captures / videos from the hard drive?

is that possible...

Go to Capture Gallery, highlight the item(s) you want, press the Options button and select Copy To USB Storage Device.
  • Options
    stefmeisterstefmeister Posts: 8,396
    Forum Member
    Not yet, There was supposed to be a backup/restore feature included as part of the last big system update but got held back, Will probably be a part of the next update.

You can backup all your game saves to either the cloud (If you have PS+) or a USB drive & you can transfer any recorded game videos/images to a HDD:
    https://support.us.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5107/~/upgrade-ps4-hdd

But for now you will need to reinstall/re-download any games/apps/updates etc...

Part of the reason i'm holding off on fitting a new drive right now, Can't be bothered to re-install/download everything, Took long enough to download some of the stuff the 1st time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone got any experience of fitting a solid state hybrid drive? I'm tempted by one - although the gains seem to be minimal according to some people online. (An extra £20 over a normal one)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't know if anyone seen this but this was unveiled at CES to allow larger & cheaper hard drives to be used in the PS4. A chat pad for the DS4 was also unveiled http://kotaku.com/new-ps4-accessory-will-let-you-swap-in-larger-cheaper-1677827012?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow
  • Options
    fastest fingerfastest finger Posts: 12,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OMTT wrote: »
    I don't know if anyone seen this but this was unveiled at CES to allow larger & cheaper hard drives to be used in the PS4. A chat pad for the DS4 was also unveiled http://kotaku.com/new-ps4-accessory-will-let-you-swap-in-larger-cheaper-1677827012?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

The HDD a thing is a clever idea. Looks bloody hideous though. I'll stick with my internal 2TB.

Chatpad seems smart, but if I'm planning on doing much messaging I just grab my phone and use that.