Another BBC Strike

124»

Comments

• Options
    exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    cyril-furr wrote: »
    Yes, there is a common denominator somewhere:D
    Yes, got it - most of these striking jobs are funded by Council tax, TVtax or just plain general tax.

I suppose they could do away with them but you'd soon be up the creek without a paddle.
  • Options
    AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    Accoridng to the BBC News this morning some teachers may also be going on strike (much to the delight of their pupils). Another bunch of highly paid, stressed workers who get about three months' paid holiday every year and go home at the slightest drop of snow.

You think that teachers' work stops when the school bell rings or when it snows or when the school is closed? Actually the figure for that is 2 weeks or less per year - tops - same for most people.

You think they're highly paid?

Wrong on all accounts bar stressed.
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »
    You think that teachers' work stops when the school bell rings or when it snows or when the school is closed? Actually the figure for that is 2 weeks or less per year - tops - same for most people.

They're no doubt the same idiots who think a newsreader just reads an autocue or that a TV reporter only "works" for the few minutes that they appear on screen. They think everyone is lazy apart from themselves!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AidanLunn wrote: »

I have had several friends over the years who have been teachers so I know that they do have long holidays and finish early - I would often see one out walking his dog on the hills if I was home early. I can't remember having time off work because of snow, at times we would have to go out working whatever the weather and if the snow got too deep we would have to park the vehicle and walk.
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    There was no mention of it BEFORE strike started,

Yes, there was after it started.
    Oh yes there was. And on Radio 4.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    Oh yes there was. And on Radio 4.

Yes- You're right. That's where I heard about it and decided to start the thread, which is why I initially said little publicity.

Even I didn't know it was a strike day until that point, because it wasn't being mentioned anywhere before that.
  • Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do wonder why people choose not to be in the NUJ.
    Do you wonder why people choose to be in it?

There's no right or wrong in the decision about whether or not to join a union. It's purely a matter of choice.

Some people are completely pro-union. Some are completely against. Others judge each union in isolation, as I do.

And, personally, I wouldn't touch the NUJ with a barge pole. And, these days, the same goes for BECTU.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    martin153 wrote: »
    Or maybe its my money, given to them against my will and they choose to have a couple of days off with it.

Strikers don't get paid.

They are saving "your" money.
    ftv wrote: »
    Accoridng to the BBC News this morning some teachers may also be going on strike (much to the delight of their pupils). Another bunch of highly paid, stressed workers who get about three months' paid holiday every year and go home at the slightest drop of snow.

There has been bad weather round here, icy roads, and public transport failed a few times, but no school days lost. Head teachers have two considerations: is it safe for pupils to get to and from school, and can enough teachers get in to make it worhwhile.