Options

Filestube blocked in UK

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A court order has been issued stipulating that UK ISPs must block 21 websites the British Recording Music Industry (BPI) says provide access to pirated music.

The list includes FilesTube, 1337x, BitSnoop, ExtraTorrent, Monova, TorrentHound, Torrentreactor and Torrentz.eu.

The sites must be blocked by tomorrow, 30 October, according to an order by a High Court judge, and include a host of aggregator sites. Interestingly, these are not all classic "torrent sites". FilesTube, for example, provides a way to search for files hosted on sites such as Mega, RapidShare and Mediafire; Torrentz is an aggregator of aggregators, allowing users to search the directories of many torrent-hosting sites in one go, such as Monova and Isohunt.

Shame Filestube got blocked. Had some cool programs on sites that were no longer avaliable to other people.

Comments

• Options
    Thunder LipsThunder Lips Posts: 1,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's just a search engine, the files still exist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they will have to ban google before it affects anyone with half a brain
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    It literally took me 30 seconds to bypass the ban, complete waste of time and money by the BPI and of course the costs are passed on to the ISP's customers.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »
    they will have to ban google before it affects anyone with half a brain

It wouldn't surprise me if the industry went after the Google's search engine sometime in the future. Saying this though, Google's one powerful bloody company.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    It literally took me 30 seconds to bypass the ban, complete waste of time and money by the BPI and of course the costs are passed on to the ISP's customers.

I think the BPI are aiming this block at the 'downloaders' who won't have a clue how to bypass it.
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    zx50 wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if the industry went after the Google's search engine sometime in the future. Saying this though, Google's one powerful bloody company.

they probably wont because of that reason.

but blocking filestube is a notable change. it is a search engine and it's nothing to do with torrents or newsgroups.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    <cough>piratebrowser<cough cough>

Pardon me, it's the cold air that does it. :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think the BPI are aiming this block at the 'downloaders' who won't have a clue how to bypass it.
    But most of them do, Pirate Bay's UK traffic was up over 10% following the first ban.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dont push the button...i want to push the button

they are probably doing more harm than good with all this blocking
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I have notice that when googling some torrents some results are blocked due to copyright restrictions, so has it already started?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    they probably wont because of that reason.

but blocking filestube is a notable change. it is a search engine and it's nothing to do with torrents or newsgroups.

I think the industry's way of thinking is, if we can find a company that is a lot less powerful than us and their web service provides links to files that have anything to do with copyrighted material, we'll go after them.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have notice that when googling some torrents some results are blocked due to copyright restrictions, so has it already started?
    Oh yes. There's still a few of the lesser known, I'm assuming, torrent sites still returned by Google and accessible via your ISP, but pretty much everyone you've heard of is either 'blocked' by Google, or if not, by your ISP.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The cowards have asked Google to remove so many copyrighted results instead of going after Google themselves. They didn't do the same with filestube though, which was a search engine as well. Again, they're just cowards.
  • Options
    NX-74205NX-74205 Posts: 4,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm downloading from ExtraTorrent as I type.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Roland MouseRoland Mouse Posts: 9,531
    Forum Member
    Welcome to the People's Republic Of Great Britain, comrades.

Sad that this comes at the time of year that we are remembering people who fought and gave their own lives to keep this country free. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grps3 wrote: »

Ha-ha! Quite funny in a way. :D
  • Options
    flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    it's like they want me to use tor
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

TBH i hope they do and Google give the industry the kick up the arse it deserves. It's getting stupid now with this site that site getting blocked. It will never end unless someone stands up to the industry.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pirateshore.se is my current one!
  • Options
    gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pirateshore.se is my current one!

Opera in turbo mode or offroadmode works a treat.
  • Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gother wrote: »
    Opera in turbo mode or offroadmode works a treat.

Don't like opera, I stick to chrome lol.
  • Options
    davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    Why don't you use Tor bundle?
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Why do do many people think musicians should work for free? It's theft.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Same here. Trying to block them is a joke.

I don't think these people really understand how the internet works.