Options

Is blackberry bold the best one ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 468
Forum Member
It seems to get the best reviews ?, Also whats the best bundle to take on orange ?

Comments

• Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    I was reading yesterday that Orange are withdrawing the Bold for a second time due to the problems with it. So you may have to go with a different network.
  • Options
    RicardodaforceRicardodaforce Posts: 8,576
    Forum Member
    The Bold is a very problematical handset. I would go for the new Curve instead.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,783
    Forum Member
    The Bold is a very problematical handset. I would go for the new Curve instead.

I've never had any problems with my Bold
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've never had any problems with my Bold

I knew someone would pipe up with that comment. Thing is, you are not representative of Bold owners. The Bold is the most returned smartphone Orange have ever sold. They have withdrawn it from sale once, and after the next recall it won't be sold again.
  • Options
    upnunderupnunder Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for the 8900 curve.

Much better than the bold.
  • Options
    darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I knew someone would pipe up with that comment. Thing is, you are not representative of Bold owners. The Bold is the most returned smartphone Orange have ever sold. They have withdrawn it from sale once, and after the next recall it won't be sold again.

But no one hears about Vodafone Bold owners suffering the same issues ?! Infact, Vodafone actively used Oranges failings with the Bold as a selling point for their Bolds. http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/10/24/voda_vs_orange/

Most of the original problems with this phone, just like with the Storm, are fixed with a software update.

IMO ive had my bold Since Nov and I use it intensively every day and only once have I had a problem with it which was my own fault for not reading the instruction when doing an update....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    As you know, googling will also bring forth information relating to Bold issues in other parts of the world.....
  • Options
    darkone338darkone338 Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not saying the phone is perfect, but I do think that you can get the wrong impression about things by reading the net.. People are far more inclined to write online when something doesnt work, than they are if everything is ok.

Personally, I participate in the Crackberry forums and from what I can see in the USA, most of their issues come from the AT&T customisations than the device itself. (tho of course, these customisations are done in the OS firmware burnt into a chip on the device as apposed to differences in operating system versions). An example would be that unlike other networks, AT&T users cant manually select 3G or 2G networks in the OS. So in fringe areas, their phones are constantly switching back and forth...

Vodafone ships the Bold with 4.6.0.162 of the operating system, however, 4.6.0.216 is available to download from the Blackberry website and is IMO far and away a better OS. The browser is faster, the memory footprint is less and the battery appears to last a good while longer for me..
  • Options
    Forum Member

Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm very happy with my Bold
  • Options
    prkingprking Posts: 9,793
    Forum Member
    The issues I have read about concern Bold's on all networks. The most serious is regarding its inability to actually maintain a call in several circumstances. I discovered this when it was demonstrated to me in a Vodafone store, this got me researching on the net.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    upnunder wrote: »
    Go for the 8900 curve.

Much better than the bold.

Apart from lack of 3G. It does look very nice though.

I have a Bold and we have a few people with Storms at work. The Storm UI does seem a little sluggish and I do like having a proper keyboard and WiFi.
  • Options
    Aye UpAye Up Posts: 7,053
    Forum Member
    Orange are not withdrawing the bold.....
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was going to get one of those, i didnt like the leather on the back though
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I'm very happy with my Bold
    thats 2 of us then, the major problems i've heard about the BOLD have all been on Orange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    Apart from lack of 3G. It does look very nice though.

I have a Bold and we have a few people with Storms at work. The Storm UI does seem a little sluggish and I do like having a proper keyboard and WiFi.

I didnt realise the 8900 had no 3G, that has changed my opinion of it, a phone should not be released nowadays without 3G, especially a device that relies on downloading email.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I didnt realise the 8900 had no 3G, that has changed my opinion of it, a phone should not be released nowadays without 3G, especially a device that relies on downloading email.

So you stated that the 8900 is better than the 9000 even though you didn't know the spec of it? :confused:

3G is NOT needed for an email device. Look at the 81xx series, 83xx series, and 88xx Blackberries. All brilliant email phones and none are 3G.
    My iPhone is 3G and still falls behind my 8310 in its email handling capabilities.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The Bold is RIM's top model so the Storm and new Curve are lacking in WiFi and 3G respectively.

It depends on what you want the phone for. For just an email device you don't need either WiFi or 3G and their absence will help the battery life.
  • Options
    The Icon V2The Icon V2 Posts: 563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Orange rushed the release of the bold to beat everyone else,, and it backfired big time

i work in a shop for O2 and all of the staff there have a bold, they are a great bit of kit, and the new 8900 is nice, better cam, but lacks on a lot, i would deffo go for a bold as O2s return rate is somewhat a lot lot less the Orange
  • Options
    Forum Member
    prking wrote: »
    The issues I have read about concern Bold's on all networks. The most serious is regarding its inability to actually maintain a call in several circumstances. I discovered this when it was demonstrated to me in a Vodafone store, this got me researching on the net.

Difficulty maintaining a call? I've never had a problem like that with mine
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you stated that the 8900 is better than the 9000 even though you didn't know the spec of it? :confused:

3G is NOT needed for an email device. Look at the 81xx series, 83xx series, and 88xx Blackberries. All brilliant email phones and none are 3G.
    My iPhone is 3G and still falls behind my 8310 in its email handling capabilities.

I knew the Bold was quite a problematic handset, and quite a few of them get returned to store.
    I knew this was not the case with the 8900, hence my opinion.

However, I was not aware that the 8900 did not have 3G, which is, in my opinion a must have nowadays, especially as more handsets are being used to browse the internet, including the Blackberry, even though it is primarily an email device.

don't shoot me down in flames because I made an opinion without swallowing the spec sheet on each handset.

I may not be as well informed as some other people on here, but I do know on what basis I form my opinions.

I know people who have bolds, with problems, and 8900s without any problems, all of these helped my form an opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 319
    Forum Member
    Just get the SE Xperia... does everything the Bold does and more...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Orange rushed the release of the bold to beat everyone else,, and it backfired big time

i work in a shop for O2 and all of the staff there have a bold, they are a great bit of kit, and the new 8900 is nice, better cam, but lacks on a lot, i would deffo go for a bold as O2s return rate is somewhat a lot lot less the Orange

Oh really? So other than a faster network connection what else can the Bold do that the Curve can't?