EE launch 300Mbps LTE-A Network

Colin_LondonColin_London Posts: 12,654
Forum Member
✭✭
Past midnight so guess the embargo has been lifted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/news/10425756/EE-switches-on-worlds-fastest-4G-network.html

Of course of no practical use to anyone except those involved at Tech City until compatible devices become available mid-2014.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only they would spend money on a simple signal to make a call
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 65
    Forum Member
    That's crazy.

500M allowance could be used up in half a minute.
  • tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,650
    Forum Member
    Of course of no practical use to anyone except those involved at Tech City until compatible devices become available mid-2014.

Exactly - and this has to be sold as an alternative to FTTC, with similar usage rates.

e.g. 100megabytes of download for £40/month, would probably sell to people who can only get 1meg ADSL - especially if they didn't have to have a phone line. Maybe with an external antenna on the house.

I don't see any need for this sort of service on a phone or tablet to be honest.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forget the millions of M2M systems and business services running on these data networks. Busses, trains, etc. anyone? Those hotspots run off 3G and 4G services. There may be anything up to 800 passengers on any one train, with several hundred using wifi at the same time.

As for an end user - the benefit comes from high bandwidth applications you're not using 24/7. While you probably don't need the latest Angry Birds update at ultrafast speed, getting it done in 5 seconds instead of 50 is still nice when you've got 40 app updates to do at the same time.

Personally my heaviest usage of 4G so far was having to download a Windows service pack at a customer's home, who had no fixed-line broadband access. That was a good few hundred megabytes that'd have taken several hours without 4G. If I need to do a big download on the move, it's usually because I need to do it and can't get my work done until it's finished. Especially important when I have my next customer to get to in an hour and I don't have two hours to sit around waiting some download.

But they do say the biggest benefitters from 4G at the moment are business users not your average consumer, and I find that hard to disagree with.
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    But they do say the biggest benefitters from 4G at the moment are business users not your average consumer, and I find that hard to disagree with.

I agree.

Three seem to be taking a more consumer centric approach unlike the others who seem to be targeting business users more.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    You forget the millions of M2M systems and business services running on these data networks. Busses, trains, etc. anyone? Those hotspots run off 3G and 4G services. There may be anything up to 800 passengers on any one train, with several hundred using wifi at the same time.

As for an end user - the benefit comes from high bandwidth applications you're not using 24/7. While you probably don't need the latest Angry Birds update at ultrafast speed, getting it done in 5 seconds instead of 50 is still nice when you've got 40 app updates to do at the same time.

Personally my heaviest usage of 4G so far was having to download a Windows service pack at a customer's home, who had no fixed-line broadband access. That was a good few hundred megabytes that'd have taken several hours without 4G. If I need to do a big download on the move, it's usually because I need to do it and can't get my work done until it's finished. Especially important when I have my next customer to get to in an hour and I don't have two hours to sit around waiting some download.

Well there goes your monthly allowance in a matter of minutes :D

EE's allowances are akin to giving you a Ferrari and only allowing you to use 1 litre of fuel :eek: :D
  • QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    drivel wrote: »
    That's crazy.

500M allowance could be used up in half a minute.

Even worse, 13 Seconds if getting 100% of that 300 Megabits per second.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there goes your monthly allowance in a matter of minutes :D

EE's allowances are akin to giving you a Ferrari and only allowing you to use 1 litre of fuel :eek: :D

Not entirely. My allowance being 10GB for £46, and that was only halfway up the scale (i.e. midway between the lowest and highest available at the time)
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Deleted.