Options

Will good music ever return to the charts?

Comments

• Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At least someone got it ;):D

D'OH! lol.. fair play! suckered! :D
  • Options
    MybelleMybelle Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    It probably won't return whilst Radio 1 is promoting drivel like One Direction who would struggle to compose a nursery rhyme between them. I can't believe they're even tweeting decent acts like Hurts to tell them they aren't putting them on their playlist - talk about rub their noses in it

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a458619/bbc-radio-1-rejects-nicole-scherzinger-hurts-from-playlist.html
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how once a song or artist becomes "chart music" it is often no longer considered "good."

I just listen to songs that I like. :o I don't care if it's popular or not. Although certain songs that are over played on the radio can really kill your love for them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    scruffpot wrote: »

In the early 2000's late 90's there was a few years of strange and different chart music, groove armada, daft punk, the avalanches etc

What happened? Is it now because music is downloadable from online stores that it is a throw away commodity; for example you can simply just download and delete a track compared to actually going out buying something physical and having an object you have bought? Therefore the artists have become a throw away commodity therefore they just release terrible music? e.g. Bridgit Mendler - ready or not.... ahhh its bad so bad, but it is pumped on adverts for itunes everywhere....so there fore it will be popular

I'm not sure of all the reasons but the fragmentation of the listening audience for pop music is a factor. That fragmentation is associated with the multiplicity of music stations on the radio and the web.

Also, the 00s is really the first decade since the 1950s that hasn't seen a major new movement in popular music. Pop music has taken a very retro direction even at the quality end like Adele or Amy Winehouse.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 123
    Forum Member
    I think there is some good stuff in the charts, but I agree that my generation seems to be putting out a lot of crap, that makes me embarrassed in front of people around me whenever I have the radio on. But I still think that the charts get too much hate, because it is only the good stuff that is remembered. Everything else fades away, so when we look back, we see the mega hits, not those songs that hit no.1 for a week then disappear, like Rita Ora or Tulisa. Adele and Amy Winehouse managed consistent chart positions and will be remembered a lot longer. I think ballads are becoming the big thing right now. Rihanna's singles are now all ballads, after Adele's success. I know that Will.I.Am is trying to be futuristic and forward thinking and he seems like a nice guy, but Scream and Shout is horrifying, but still catchy :)
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    ^ Hot Right Now and R.I.P had great chart runs and were high up the year-end charts. And most mainstream regular club-goers in 2012 will remember those songs, because they were both absolutely everywhere. I agree that Young and How We Do are already forgotten though.

I agree with your observations about Rihanna. She's only got one proper dance-pop song on her current album, and I can see it not getting released tbh (nobody is paying attention to it, there is far more hype around Pour It Up, Loveeeeeee Song, Jump, Nobodies Business, etc.).

Female dance-pop has definitely been fading recently. I think it might go back to where the dance tunes in the charts mainly come from proper dance artists, rather than from R&B singers and rappers like has been the case the past few years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
  • Options
    rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For that to happen you need a good crop of artists to create an era of quality music.
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    poikly wrote: »

Clique is a brilliant song imo, and definitely different and not generic. :)

I think it actually got 9 or 10 weeks in the top 10, because it re-entered the chart. It's a shame it didn't get playlisted by Capital FM, etc. and didn't get a music video. It could've got top 10 on the charts.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 448
    Forum Member
    Agree completely, could have been huge
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ashtray88 wrote: »
    Funny how once a song or artist becomes "chart music" it is often no longer considered "good."

I just listen to songs that I like. :o I don't care if it's popular or not. Although certain songs that are over played on the radio can really kill your love for them.

now whilst i do agree with you, isnt there though a difference between 'good' music and music an individual likes?
  • Options
    ashtray88ashtray88 Posts: 1,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    now whilst i do agree with you, isnt there though a difference between 'good' music and music an individual likes?

But what I mean is that Artists and therefore the songs they write somehow lose their credibility when they become popular. A good example is Ed Sheeran's A Team. I don't get how a song or artist doing well commercially should affect their credibility. A lot of chart music is rubbish but not all of it yet people just seem to lump it into one category and declare it as "all bad." :rolleyes:.
  • Options
    Gizmo210688Gizmo210688 Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's all a matter of opinion though isn't it? Some people want 'good' music to return to the charts, others think that the charts have 'good' music. Everyone is different.

I've always found that the music I listen to is stuff I like (shocker :D). Some of it is chart, some of it isn't, but it really doesn't matter. All the charts indicate is what is currently POPULAR, not necessarily GOOD (again though, matter of opinion).

So, to answer the OP's question, will good music ever return to the charts, the answer is this; Yes and no. Because everyone is different and not everyone likes the same thing. This has always been the case and always will be the case.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But what I mean is that Artists and therefore the songs they write somehow lose their credibility when they become popular. A good example is Ed Sheeran's A Team. I don't get how a song or artist doing well commercially should affect their credibility. A lot of chart music is rubbish but not all of it yet people just seem to lump it into one category and declare it as "all bad." :rolleyes:.

well ignore them then! :D i agree 'a team' is a good track regardless of whether it charts or not.

tbh theres alot of artists from the past whos original fanbase drops them once they start getting commercial success, there has always been such snobbery which is ridiculous.
  • Options
    Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is your obsession with the Wombles?! :D

The Wombles rock!!!:D
  • Options
    brunoloverbrunolover Posts: 2,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Smudged wrote: »
    My theory is that the type of music listener (or demographic if you like) that buys singles/individual tracks has become alot narrower in the digital age and that's why there is less variety in the singles chart.

Have to say I was thinking the same. I have nothing to back it up but have wondered if the demographic (age range) of people buying singles has changed or reduced since the digital download era took off, which has caused a lot of similiar artists and styles always featuring and clogging up the top 200 downloads chart.

I think the people that use to buy physical singles of slightly alternative artists do not bother downloading regularly in big numbers as it doesn't appeal and would now rather wait for the album, hence teenagers and pre-teens having an even bigger impact on the music in the charts.
  • Options
    chrisqcchrisqc Posts: 1,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sadly i think good music is now leaving the charts with recent hits from goyte, fun, lumineers and the likes i really dont like where this trend is going
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because you don't like the music, doesn't mean it's not 'good' :rolleyes:

Actually Bridgit Mendler hasn't even charted in the UK and it stalled at like No.49 in America so it doesn't make sense for you to base the rant about the charts, about a song that basically flopped in the charts.

(I actually like the song aswell)

actually, because I dont like it does make it not good and thats my opinion by the way i respect your opinion that you like it....

I can rant about the charts if i want, even if it topped what ever in the charts in america, because see the paragraph above ^, doesn't matter to me, if its flopped or not.

Actually what do i know about music well, quite a lot, I worked as a sound and lighting tech, I worked on tours, arenas, for some of the biggest artists including studio work... now im a mental health service provider... but that's a long story, doesn't mean that my view on music is not better then you, I have the ability, as I know how music is created and produced recorded etc, i can look at it from a critical angle as I have spent about 26 years studying and playing music. I'm not a failed jealous musician.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member

I'm the same. If I like a song then I'll listen to it, now matter how popular or commercially successful the song is. I don't really listen to mainstream radio but I notice a lot of songs are overplayed on music channels and it runs them.
  • Options
    SemieroticSemierotic Posts: 11,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Music is subjective... except when it's by Will.I.Am. Then it's objectively bad.
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    Smudged wrote: »
    My theory is that the type of music listener (or demographic if you like) that buys singles/individual tracks has become alot narrower in the digital age and that's why there is less variety in the singles chart.

Indeed. I'm pretty sure that for the US at least, the top 40 is determined solely by a 12 year old girl named Madison who lives in Cleveland.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    tbh theres alot of artists from the past whos original fanbase drops them once they start getting commercial success, there has always been such snobbery which is ridiculous.

There are situations when it's not just down to 'snobbery' though. A good example is Kings of Leon when they sold out with all that Sex on Fire business.

I know this chavvy guy who instantly decided they were the best band in the world but he thought their older (and better) stuff was awful :o

Kind of a kick in the balls to fans when bands change their records to what's popular when fans have remained loyal because they enjoy the original music. I want to point out though, I don't mean when bands experiment with new sounds etc, just when they're clearly making an effort to move towards the money.
  • Options
    ScrubberScrubber Posts: 4,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To my taste the answer is no. I do like some songs on the Radio but the majority is tripe and generic crap.
  • Options
    scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Semierotic wrote: »
    Music is subjective... except when it's by Will.I.Am. Then it's objectively bad.

so so so true