True Detective (HBO) - coming In January 2014

Comments

• yakutzyakutz Posts: 10,996
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    McCounaghey is absolutely mesmerising in this. The whole show, really, is so beautifully filmed that you can't take your eyes off it for a second - probably my favourite thing HBO have done since Game of Thrones began.

And Alexandra Daddario... my word.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Outstandingly gratuitous distraction in an otherwise excellent follow up to the pilot episode. So far, the characters are the stars - the murder investigation being a bit of a sideshow - but it's very watchable indeed.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    What I wouldn't give to have been Woody's character at that moment.

I haven't even watched the show yet and I think I know what you are referring to. I was skipping through episode 2 to make sure everything was in sync when I stopped because of umm, talent, and watched for 20-30 seconds before she stood up and wow, glorious. I can't wait to watch this show.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    This got off to a slowish start and it wasn't helped with some mumbling from the actors especially Matthew M. which put me off it a bit.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    The 8 episode first season of HBO’s anthology series True Detective will receive its UK premiere on Sky Atlantic on Saturday February 22nd at 9pm, it has been announced.
    http://www.tvwise.co.uk/2014/01/sky-atlantic-sets-uk-premiere-date-true-detective/
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    Does it get any better as I got almost halfway through the first episode and turned it off as it was just self-indulgent shit.

A lead in introductory start would have been better than the straight in full on and we might explain it all later approach.
  • big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im a tad bored already, really doesnt pull me back in as much as I thought it would
  • xander63xander63 Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I'm loving this show, a deliberately slow genuine mystery!

No sure where it's heading, but very interesting getting there.

Hope the pay-off at the end is as good?! Roll on next week.
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    xander63 wrote: »
    Personally I'm loving this show, a deliberately slow genuine mystery!

No sure where it's heading, but very interesting getting there.

Hope the pay-off at the end is as good?! Roll on next week.

It is utterly fantastic. Last night's episode was one of the best episodes of television I have seen in a good while.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,824
    Forum Member
    Really enjoying it. It's more of a character study into two detectives on the edge of implosion (in their different ways), with the case they're working on as the slow-moving, menacing backdrop, but the writing, acting and cinematography are top banana.

Just feels like a quality production, from the opening titles onward.

Sad that we have to wait two weeks for the next episode, after that final shot...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does it get any better as I got almost halfway through the first episode and turned it off as it was just self-indulgent shit.

A lead in introductory start would have been better than the straight in full on and we might explain it all later approach.

It is using the same retrospective slow reveal interview/flashbacks approach as The Usual Suspects. It is pacing the show and showing the flawed nature of police involved in heavy duty crime investigations as Zodiac and Seven. I think it has clear influences stylistically but if you're not a fan of those films then you probably won't be a fan of this either.

If you prefer something more fast paced or and methodical, there are always alternatives like The Following or The Blacklist. Probably not Hannibal though, that also had a long series arc about the descent of a man as a result of his work involving serial killers.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    It is using the same retrospective slow reveal interview/flashbacks approach as The Usual Suspects. It is pacing the show and showing the flawed nature of police involved in heavy duty crime investigations as Zodiac and Seven. I think it has clear influences stylistically but if you're not a fan of those films then you probably won't be a fan of this either.

If you prefer something more fast paced or and methodical, there are always alternatives like The Following or The Blacklist. Probably not Hannibal though, that also had a long series arc about the descent of a man as a result of his work involving serial killers.

Well Breaking Bad was far from fast paced at the beginning but it used the time to show us the set up and the people before it all went slightly wrong. :D

I like a story at whatever pace that starts at the beginning, sets up its stall, has a middle and then an end. This is rather like Lost where you don't know what is happening or if it ever will or what exactly the story is. And if the ending is as dreadful as Lost, I'm glad I won't be wasting 6 years of my life on this.
    Forum Member
    I like a story at whatever pace that starts at the beginning, sets up its stall, has a middle and then an end. This is rather like Lost where you don't know what is happening or if it ever will or what exactly the story is. And if the ending is as dreadful as Lost, I'm glad I won't be wasting 6 years of my life on this.

Reading the above, it is clear that you aren't aware that True Detective in its current form ends at episode eight -- so that is a definite "end." The plan for the show is to follow the American Horror Story model: each season will have completely new characters in a new setting, with a story that is fully wrapped up in the season finale.
  • G926G926 Posts: 1,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am absolutely loving this. Question about episode 3:
    Was that Woody Harrelsons Wife and the woman Matthew McConaughey was dancing with in the bar in those pictures at the end?

I get Declan_Khan liking it to Zodiac, I hadn't thought of that but you are spot on.
    Forum Member
    G926 wrote: »
    I am absolutely loving this. Question about episode 3:
    Was that Woody Harrelsons Wife and the woman Matthew McConaughey was dancing with in the bar in those pictures at the end?

I get Declan_Khan liking it to Zodiac, I hadn't thought of that but you are spot on.

Pretty sure the answer to the question is no.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well Breaking Bad was far from fast paced at the beginning but it used the time to show us the set up and the people before it all went slightly wrong. :D

This season is only 8 episodes long. I believe lost was 22 episodes at a time.

I know what is happening. In 2013 a new investigating had opened because similar killings to events that occured in 1995 have begun. The current detectives are interviewing the detectives who dealt with the first case and apprehended the suspected killer to establish if they got it wrong and the original killer was out there the entire time, if their personal issues and problematic professional relationship clouded their judgement. One appears to have had his family fall apart, the other has became a reclusive drunk broken down by his personal tragedies and way of life. Now they tell their stories and we watch.

This is only the third episode. They set up their stall, as you put it, when they revealed that copycat/a continuation of the killings is happening now.

Breaking Bad opened with a frenetic scene of a man driving across the desert with dead bodies in the back of a motor home, only for him to get out in just his shirt and pants wielding a gun, apparently being chased down by the police coming over the horizon. That is not a slow paced start to a series. It is dropping you right into the middle of the action.

If this series was as dreadful as you believe, I doubt they'd have managed to attract the caliber of talent they have to the project. They have obviously read all the material of the first season and have commited to at least two more potentially. As stated, this is likely to be an anthology series rather than a continual one, so they may appear in cameos or completely different roles. Considering their recent output, from Rampart to Mud to Dallas Buyers Club, if Matthew McConaughey and Woody Harrelson have seen fit to commit to it, I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt and I personally want to know how the Hell McConaughey's character went from what he was to what we see him as in the interview room as much as I do the chase to capture the killer, as well as the mystery of the killer and their motivations.
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love this show. Agree with the poster who said "McCounaghey is absolutely mesmerising" he is IMO. Looking forward to next episode.
  • BigPatBigPat Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I think this is one of those series I'm going to enjoy watching second time round, to see how many clues they've put in. Right now, they're so busy hinting that McConaughey's the one with the screw loose, it just makes me suspect Harrelson more.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just in case anyone is panicking, no episode this week due to not wanting it to conflict with the super bowl
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigPat wrote: »
    I think this is one of those series I'm going to enjoy watching second time round, to see how many clues they've put in. Right now, they're so busy hinting that McConaughey's the one with the screw loose, it just makes me suspect Harrelson more.

I think there have been lots of hints that Harrelson is the one who is morally conflicted, sexually voracious, egotistical, easily antagonised, religiously inclined and prone to bouts of violence against women while having a charm that plays on his ability to appear the vulnerable victim in a tough shell when it comes to appealing to women for sex.

Also, was it just me or did it appear that his girlfriend/mistress was pictured in one of the case item Polaroid photos as a victim in the woods in the closing 5 minutes of the show?

McConaughey seems a broken man who tried to keep the lid on his problems before they simmered over and he burned out as a result. However he still appears sharp when mildly intoxicated. Harrelson on the other hand seems to have kept a lid on his own problems and possibly risen up the ranks.

This series is eminently quotable to me, McConaughey has some fantastic lines.

“The visions—there were times that I was convinced that I’d lost it. There were other times I thought I was mainlining the secret truth of the universe.”

"The world needs bad men. We keep the other bad men from the door."

"The hubris it must take to yank a soul out of non existence, into this... meat. And to force a life into this thresher. Yeah, so my daughter, she uh, she spared me the sin of being a father."

“If the only thing keeping a person decent is the expectation of divine reward then, brother, that person is a piece of sh*t. And I’d like to get as many of them out in the open as possible. You gotta get together and tell yourself stories that violate every law of the universe just to get through the goddamn day? What’s that say about your reality?”

"You look at their eyes, even in a picture, doesn’t matter if they are dead or alive. You can still read ‘em. And you know what you see? They welcomed it. Not at first but right there in the last instant. It’s an unmistakable relief because you see, they were afraid and now they saw for the very first time how easy it was to just let go. And they saw in that last nano second – they saw what they were. You, yourself – it’s all a big drama. It was never anything but a jerry rigged presumption and dumb will. And you could just let go! To finally know that you didn’t have to hold on so tight, to realize that all your life – no matter all your love, all your hate, all your pain – it was all the same thing! It was all the same dream, a dream that you had inside a locked room. A dream about being a person. And then like a lot of dreams, there’s a monster at the end of it."

Honestly the action may be slow at times but the scripts are written so well it is little surprise they managed to attract the talent they have.
  • HumidHumid Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree. It was Boring, Boring Boring, with useless uninteresting dialog. One of the most boring series I have tried to watch EVER. We kept on until 40 minutes thinking it would get better, it didn't. I fast forwarded it thinking it would get better, it didn't. I then found a way to make it better. I turned it off. What utter drivel.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Humid wrote: »
    I agree. It was Boring, Boring Boring, with useless uninteresting dialog. One of the most boring series I have tried to watch EVER. We kept on until 40 minutes thinking it would get better, it didn't. I fast forwarded it thinking it would get better, it didn't. I then found a way to make it better. I turned it off. What utter drivel.

I'm still watching TD (upto epi3) but I'm still finding it boring as hell :( ... It's basically 2 inbred redneck hillbilly detectives talking shite for an hour per episode & nowt much else! :cry: ... How anyone can say TD is 1 of the greatest shows ever created is beyond me! :confused:

(Atleast Hannibal is coming back soon!!!) :cool: :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's the first act, establishing the premise, characters and motives. Now we are entering the second act with the introduction of the most likely suspect, Rene LeDoux. I think perhaps you should stick to villain of the week style series if you find the characterisation and pace to not be engaging. Try any of the Law & Order or CSI series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I'm still watching TD (upto epi3) but I'm still finding it boring as hell :( ... It's basically 2 inbred redneck hillbilly detectives talking shite for an hour per episode & nowt much else! :cry: ... How anyone can say TD is 1 of the greatest shows ever created is beyond me! :confused:

(Atleast Hannibal is coming back soon!!!) :cool: :D

If they are saying that before it is over and you are buying into that, I would like to know how you can judge something in its totality in comparison to every other TV show ever before it is even finished? Because that seems to suggest they've watched all of the series already and I am not sure how that is possible unless they work for HBO.

Also exactly what suggestion has been made they are inbred hillbillies? You sound incredibly prejudiced against Southern North American people making that kind of statement. It has not been suggested either are racist, advocate slavery or the Confederacy, live on or near mountain ranges or are the products of inbreeding. In fact it is shown both live in normal homes and Woody Harrelson's character is against his father in law's prejudiced ideals. They were both also civil towards the black preacher when they went to question him. I think perhaps you should not talk about such matters as they suggest you are quite uninformed and prejudiced.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,056
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So you don't like a show that isn't pedal to the metal and focusses much more on character to drive the storytelling, fair enough.

Pretty negative bolshy way to put it, but I get that on the internet being BOLD is The Thing.