Options

Doctor Who: The End of Time part two, BBC1 new year's day, 6.40pm.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ...especially to say it was over 2 hours long. Basically, the Master got resurrected by a magic potion, turned everyone on earth into himself, the Timelords used him to come to earth for a couple of minutes, then took him back to Gallifrey. Not very exciting!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mad_dude wrote: »
    I was genuinally interested in whether local authorities inforced some sort of lawed smoking ban before the 2007 ban was introduced.

Ah I apologize.
  • Options
    Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you see it's points like these that I find niggly. RTD sets these big things up..like Rose being trapped forever and then Donna not being able to remember otherwise she would perish and it's all glossed over with such a glib explanation. RTD always said he had it all mapped out so there was no need to box himself into a corner really.

I agree with you about Rose, but I think it was a little different with Donna, because she didn't really start to remember, all she was getting was flashes of images that didn't really mean anything to her. Plus it made sense that he would have built in such a safegaurd.

What I actually liked about that was him calling Donna his best friend!:)
  • Options
    Mark.Mark. Posts: 84,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tungsten wrote: »
    So who or what was it that planted the drumming in the Master's head when he was 8 when he looked into the time vortex? The Master was trying to trace it, and so were the Time Lords, the weird old granny one hinted that a diamond could be used. :confused:
    Rassilon wanted a link to the outside world, so as to have a way of escaping from the Time War (and its associated lock).

(This next bit may be a slight misunderstanding, so someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong :))

The Time Lord Council were able to see what was happening with The Master on Earth, so Rassilon ordered that time be manipulated such that when the 8-year-old Master looked into the Untempered Schism, the drumbeat would be implanted in his mind to provide a link.

This link was enough to send something small through - the diamond - which then allowed it to be "widened", allowing Gallifrey to pass through.
  • Options
    ZaphodskiZaphodski Posts: 4,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    G926 wrote: »
    A 75 minutes episode and I enjoyed about 5 minutes of that. I have enjoyed DT as Doctor Who but he deserved a better ending. Once again RTD reached for the summit and has fallen well short.

I am grateful that RTD ressurected DW but it is time for him to move on.

Agreed!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Taking a poll of my family; the final episodes of DT's rule has made no new Dr Who fans. Ahhhh, it was sweet for me a fan, too sweet mayhap...a case of Lord of the Rings final 20 minutes...go hobit goooooo!!! The Master was fabulous though. The End of Time for the casual Christmas TV watchers...wot?..wot?..they chimed and then a game of spot the series 'that' was nicked from and finally taunt the git who makes us watch this....sigh.

Seriously though, DT you are obviously a good guy and you have helped create some great episodes. Thank you.
    RD, I love you for loving Dr who and giving us a new start, No 9 and Rose, good luck.:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 44
    Forum Member
    Quite agree.

Utter crap.

Russell T Davies can do some amazing writing - his 'Moonlight' episode springs to mind, as does the series 1/2 finales, Torchwood COE and many others (including, btw, Casanova).

But we found David's last episode and the Series 3 and 4 finales to be crap. Some nice moments in all - and Jon Simm as the master was again brilliant - but it was all a travesty.

The only two things that saved tonight's episode was the brilliant acting (given the bad lines) by David, Jon and Bernard, and (for me) the look and voice of David as he said the line 'I don't want to go' at the end.

Very sad to see David go but it's right he does - the longer he stayed the harder it would be.

Then again I'm not looking forward to Matt Smith particularly...
  • Options
    playitagainplayitagain Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    you see it's points like these that I find niggly. RTD sets these big things up..like Rose being trapped forever and then Donna not being able to remember otherwise she would perish and it's all glossed over with such a glib explanation. RTD always said he had it all mapped out so there was no need to box himself into a corner really.

i get what you mean...
    a timelocked war thats had two escapees
    a memory locked donna who remembers
    a universe locked rose who comes back but has to go again.
    but that tends to go with most sci-fi territory and you just have to go with the ride
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't think it was a bad episode, although everything exciting built up in the end of Part 1 was all kind of thrown away with a little line, or lasted 5 minutes then ended, was strange imo.

Honestly I think Donna had a better written ending when she left last season (ignoring the "Safeguard" that was used tonight which kinda tainted her ending for me)

I did enjoy the last scenes with all the companions (Sarah Jane is still one of the most woeful actresses I've ever had the misfortune to witness)

As I said, not a bad episode, just slightly disappointed and left with a sort of "Is that really it?" feeling at the end.

And I know it's only first impressions, but based on my first impressions, Matt Smith has a LOT of work to do to win me round.
  • Options
    OreoOreo Posts: 1,145
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    What I actually liked about that was him calling Donna his best friend!:)

I loved that.

The winning lottery ticket bought with a quid off her dad was a nice touch too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    theginger wrote: »
    Quite agree.

Utter crap.

Russell T Davies can do some amazing writing - his 'Moonlight' episode springs to mind, as does the series 1/2 finales, Torchwood COE and many others (including, btw, Casanova).

But we found David's last episode and the Series 3 and 4 finales to be crap. Some nice moments in all - and Jon Simm as the master was again brilliant - but it was all a travesty.

The only two things that saved tonight's episode was the brilliant acting (given the bad lines) by David, Jon and Bernard, and (for me) the look and voice of David as he said the line 'I don't want to go' at the end.

Very sad to see David go but it's right he does - the longer he stayed the harder it would be.

Then again I'm not looking forward to Matt Smith particularly...

i agree with everthing you said ,rtd should be given due credit but all his specials have had good ingredients just not cooked properly.
    i seem to be alone in that i liked ep 1 apart from the last 10 mins
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14
    Forum Member
    enjoyed wilf & the master a lot - hope they will be back
    didnt cry as much as i thought i would only once - i am quite often a blubbering wreck
    but it was too long - mushy but not sad

looking forward to the new series
    glad to see some new bad guys in the trailer - matt has a gun & it looks like a different one

not watched either confiendial yet - i hopt rtd doesnt claim to have reinvented sci-fi again when so many ideas were copies
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    Cribbins was terrific.

The cause of the regeneration was silly, but like you say refreshing for it not to be about something overblown.

Agreed. It was almost as if after all the self indulgence from RTD he had forgotten to link the regeneration into the plotline and hastily wrote in the Star Trek / Spock / Khan type sacrifice (which was almost the length of a standard episode) Sorry, but it would have been better for the Dr to have been irreparably damaged by the main villain in the main story line, like in the old days.... :eek:
  • Options
    notinnotin Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just watched dr who confidential.............wonderful, so put the script and emotions into place.........i watched dr who as a child of the 70's/80's then lost the plot cos life got in the way, it wasn't until i stumbled upon BLINK that i came back to the family. just loved david tenant and off course the very clever scripts..........can't wait to see how things move on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    did not mind the past companions bit other than rose i thought that could have been a lot more subtle such as some how 'arranging' for her to get the shop job.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    did not mind the past companions bit other than rose i thought that could have been a lot more subtle such as some how 'arranging' for her to get the shop job.

Rose is now in the parallel universe with the spare part tenth Doctor, so he couldn't prevent that happening or all the other stuff wouldn't happen later on in her story.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, let's review.

The Spaceship/Missile bit.

You've just reminded me that my kids said 'this is just like Star Wars'! The part where Bernard Cribbins hears Luke calling him to man the laser turret of the Millenium Falcon.... :D Twas a good part of the film that!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oreo wrote: »
    Rose is now in the parallel universe with the spare part tenth Doctor, so he couldn't prevent that happening or all the other stuff wouldn't happen later on in her story.
    I think he meant her job in the shop that Doc 9 blew up in 'Rose'.

Doing that, though, would have probably been a bit too "whoa" for a scene that was essentially just "goodbye".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    I think he meant her job in the shop that Doc 9 blew up in 'Rose'.

Would she have gone off with him if she had a job to stay at home for? That's what I meant. He couldn't change what was going to happen to her that year.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rapture TV wrote: »
    It was fantastic and as a Doctor Who fan for 40 years I loved it. It was bigger on drama than any other British TV programme I can remember. I can never say any ITV show has ever come close and well Sky have never made any real TV.

You're spot on there.....the final episode of Blackadder Goes Forth couldn't hold a candle to tonights Dr Who..... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oreo wrote: »
    Would she have gone off with him if she had a job to stay at home for?
    You don't understand.

Rose (the character) had a job in 'Rose' (the episode). That's how she met Doc 9 in the first place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark. wrote: »
    You don't understand.

Rose (the character) had a job in 'Rose' (the episode). That's how she met Doc 9 in the first place.

Oh, duh!! Sorry I get it now! It's late... :o
  • Options
    NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really can't believe what I'm reading, just on the last page of this thread anyway.

I thought tonight was great, especially the second 40 mins once we'd got past the whole multi masters thing (not a fan of that).

I nearly totally lost it on his last words, so cruel.

5* for me.
  • Options
    DICKENS99DICKENS99 Posts: 2,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paper thin story but hey it was never going to be about the threat, that was just a mechanism so the doctor could be engineered into a series of increasingly bitter sweet elegaic moments, a series of emotion bombs loosely tethered together. Did it work? I think so. I still hope that with SM in charge we might get a majority of episodes which manage to be both tightly narratively constructed and emotionally engaging, but I don't think you can deny RTD his ability to tug at the heartstrings.
  • Options
    clacker2005clacker2005 Posts: 384
    Forum Member
    Haven't had chance to read through the earlier posts, but thought it maybe worthwhile to record that I thought it was magnificent.

I don't and can't claim to be an expert, but I have - genuinely - been a Dr Who fan since I curled up on the sofa and watched wide-eyed on 23.11.63, my 6th birthday.

David Tennant was magnificent in the role.

A hard act to follow (as was his predecessor).

A few tears shed here at Clacker Cottage tonight.