Wedding Etiquette

2»

Comments

• JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member
    eluf38 wrote: »
    I would suggest she is no longer allowed to be in charge of the money!

What a damned cheek - let's turn this into a fund-raising operation for my works' charitable cause. If you only put in a tenner each, surely the sensible thing would be to not ask for anything at all - it's not as though you've been left massively out of pocket.

BIB - definitely! I'm worried for the poor bride now.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought I was overreacting cos no-one agreed with me but after reading your replies im going to stand my ground and get the MOH to phone the bride to inform her, hopefully she will.

In answer to your questions they can afford it, all people involved have good jobs and we only put in a tenner! They want to ask the guests for £15 which doesnt make sense and there will be money left over.

the person who came up with this idea and is taking charge of the money is saying she is going to give the leftover money to some fundraising thing at her work. Well I have reason to be suspicious and its all a bit weird. I suggested donating online to a registered charity and printing out the receipt just in case and this did not go down well.

OP this sounds dodgy. If you only put in a tenner then why are they getting their knickers in a twist to recoup it. I would feel embaressed to ask for £15 to somebody invited to the party. If it was £1000 they have put in then I could see the point but for a tenner thats disgraceful.

OP speak to them again
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    Agree with everyone else who has posted and this isn't good at all. I got married 3 months ago and we went to this dinner and entertainment night. right up front when I invited people I told them how much it would cost as I couldn't afford to pay for everyone. So everyone had a choice to come or not.

Some of the people invited might not have such good jobs as the rest of these girls and £15 would be a lot of money for them. They could have planned to just have a couple of soft drinks but wanted to celebrate with everyone, only to turn up and find they are being charged to get in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 34
    Forum Member
    NO NO NO !

Thats shocking, im sure the bride would be absolutely mortified !

Thats like having a birthday party and asking people to chip in for the banners and balloons !!!
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dreadful idea, and the woman who has obviously decided that she is in charge should be REMOVED from any and all arrangements.

Personally, I'd tell the bride about it as well. I would be mortified if I thought that people had been charged for attending my hen night.
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not even sure it's legal.

They are charging for the alcohol they are serving, for which they would need a licence and, given that the alcohol would be drunk there, an "On Licence" at that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I'm not even sure it's legal.

They are charging for the alcohol they are serving, for which they would need a licence and, given that the alcohol would be drunk there, an "On Licence" at that.

Agreed. I'm certainly no expert but if they are charging the guests for the alcohol, even if it is for a ticket or contribution, they would need a licence.
  • Hobbes1966Hobbes1966 Posts: 5,370
    Forum Member
    TBH I wouldn't trust anyone with telling the bride, I'd do it myself. Its absolutely disgusting what these so called friends are doing, its like they don't give a toss for the bride. She really must be told or it would completely ruin her big day.
  • Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    I think the person in charge of the money is on the make for herself to be honest.

A very bad idea all round if you ask me. If I were the bride I would be mortified to find this out ..... come to my party but pay for the privilege. A complete and utter faux pas.
  • ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just had to say how I agree with everyone very tacky idea. Get it stopped.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    Thanks. I thought I was overreacting cos no-one agreed with me but after reading your replies im going to stand my ground and get the MOH to phone the bride to inform her, hopefully she will.

In answer to your questions they can afford it, all people involved have good jobs and we only put in a tenner! They want to ask the guests for £15 which doesnt make sense and there will be money left over.

the person who came up with this idea and is taking charge of the money is saying she is going to give the leftover money to some fundraising thing at her work. Well I have reason to be suspicious and its all a bit weird. I suggested donating online to a registered charity and printing out the receipt just in case and this did not go down well.

I've read some things on DS during my time but this has to be up there with one of the most inappropriote things ever :eek:

Put your foot down, scream from the rooftops that this is a bad idea - involve the bride if you have to.

Do not let this happen.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've read some things on DS during my time but this has to be up there with one of the most inappropriote things ever :eek:

Put your foot down, scream from the rooftops that this is a bad idea - involve the bride if you have to.

Do not let this happen.

Completely agree. I'm so shocked at what the OP has said :eek:

Awful idea. Cheeky, insulting and rude.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    I see the logic in it. It's just like putting into a kitty, It's not the done thing but I don't see why there should be a free bar if those putting on the party can't afford to pay for all the drink. Maybe instead of charging for this, it should be a a BYOB affair to avoid people getting their panties in a bunch. IMO, it's the same either way.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zombi wrote: »
    I see the logic in it. It's just like putting into a kitty, It's not the done thing but I don't see why there should be a free bar if those putting on the party can't afford to pay for all the drink. Maybe instead of charging for this, it should be a a BYOB affair to avoid people getting their panties in a bunch. IMO, it's the same either way.

Have you read the thread?

The organisers of the party have paid £10 each for decorations, drinks etc, and want to charge guests £15!!! each to attend! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    lesleyanne wrote: »
    Have you read the thread?

The organisers of the party have paid £10 each for decorations, drinks etc, and want to charge guests £15!!! each to attend! :eek:

Missed that bit! My bad <blames the wine> . I do agree with the principle but obviously these people are taking the piss.
  • LushnessLushness Posts: 38,168
    Forum Member
    This is similar to a wedding my work colleague was telling me about. He has been invited to a wedding and all the guests have been asked to provide monetary gifts before the wedding, essentially to help fund the cost. Seriously dude if you can't afford to get married, don't bother ! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »
    This is similar to a wedding my work colleague was telling me about. He has been invited to a wedding and all the guests have been asked to provide monetary gifts before the wedding, essentially to help fund the cost. Seriously dude if you can't afford to get married, don't bother ! :eek:

Yes, or have a really cheap, low key wedding.
  • Beau_SoirBeau_Soir Posts: 1,811
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lushness wrote: »

Wtf?! What is wrong with people!!
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    OP - I hope this has been sorted out? Let us know how things go
  • fairy_fairy_ Posts: 1,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zombi wrote: »

Surely though if it were the case that the bridesmaids didn't think they could afford it all then they should have planned a different event where it's more acceptable for each person invited to pay their own way like a night out or having the party in a pub or something?!