Options

Internet Troll discussion

Comments

• Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I think many people online know and have bitten their tongue. Very clearly all is not all it seems.
  • Options
    What name??What name?? Posts: 26,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    If she posted something once that wasn't a threat or intimidating, fair enough. It does say in the article that that was one of her messages posted. She could have posted intimidating tweets in some of the others. Going by that, she obviously must have posted more than one tweet to them.

She posted more than one but not too the Mccans and not threatening. Sky comments on what they said was her worst tweet. It basically only stated that they would and should suffer for the rest of their miserable lives.

That's an opinion on what she thinks they deserve not a threat. It's like saying I hope and expect Margaret Thatcher burns in hell - just an opinion. People are expressing much worse opinions about the 15 year old jihadi bride on a thread on this board right now. Why protect the Mccanns and not her or anyone else?
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is she a member here?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She posted more than one but not too the Mccans and not threatening. Sky comments on what they said was her worst tweet. It basically only stated that they would and should suffer for the rest of their miserable lives.

That's an opinion on what she thinks they deserve not a threat. It's like saying I hope and expect Margaret Thatcher burns in hell - just an opinion. People are expressing much worse opinions about the 15 year old jihadi bride on a thread on this board right now. Why protect the Mccanns and not her or anyone else?

Hateful messages could also be classed as illegal as well, especially if they've been posted more than once.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    It's not open to debate except by trolls. The Sky article clearly identifies what it thinks is her worst post - which is above.

so who is stalking who?

:confused: I'm not sure I understand the BIB. You seem to be arguing over the extent of this woman's involvement when that wasn't even the thrust of any of my posts. Neither of us know the full extent of this woman's actions and I'm not sure Sky will either at this point. Their article only directly mentions her sweepyface account (do trolls ever have multiple accounts?) and some statement about "hoping the McCanns suffer for eternity" or something of that nature but it doesn't say whether this was her only message or even how thorough an investigation they undertook before publishing the article. I don't think it attributes the other comments to anyone in particular. As I said originally, she might have been responsible for almost all, some, almost none, or none of the most abusive messages (I thought I'd covered all the bases there). That's not a judgement - it's a statement of fact that we as ignorant observers don't know the full extent of this story (i.e. it's open to debate). I'm sure the police will uncover everything in time - much of which won't be covered by a single news article.

The stalkers would be the people reporting that that they were following the McCanns in Leicestershire and keeping track of their movements - if that is true rather than just the work of fantasists.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: I'm not sure I understand the BIB. You seem to be arguing over the extent of this woman's involvement when that wasn't even the thrust of any of my posts. Neither of us know the full extent of this woman's actions and I'm not sure Sky will either at this point. Their article only directly mentions her sweepyface account (do trolls ever have multiple accounts?) and some statement about "hoping the McCanns suffer for eternity" or something of that nature but it doesn't say whether this was her only message or even how thorough an investigation they undertook before publishing the article. I don't think it attributes the other comments to anyone in particular. As I said originally, she might have been responsible for almost all, some, almost none, or none of the most abusive messages (I thought I'd covered all the bases there). That's not a judgement - it's a statement of fact that we as ignorant observers don't know the full extent of this story (i.e. it's open to debate). I'm sure the police will uncover everything in time - much of which won't be covered by a single news article.

The stalkers would be the people reporting that that they were following the McCanns in Leicestershire and keeping track of their movements - if that is true rather than just the work of fantasists.

It's like hysteria has took hold of some people with regards to this.
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thread name changed - so hopefully this can be a general discussion about it but somehow I doubt it.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On one hand I find those who participate in stalking and harassment online to be despicable, and at the same time I feel sorry for them if that's how they choose to spend their free time. Pretty sad really, why not do something more positive with your life if you're that bored? It's unfortunate that police have to get involved but with people so ready to abuse anonymity, is there any other option? I believe a lot of trolling is down to a 'because I can' mentality and there's no consideration of the impact it might have on people. I also don't believe it's about expressing opinions vs not being allowed to. It's one thing to say "I think those people may not be telling the whole story, there's more to it than meets the eye", etc. and quite another to say they should be burned alive or tortured. That's not an opinion, it's disturbing.
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the use of the word troll to describe people who abuse others online of offline.

Gives a bad name to the supernatural being from Norse mythology.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like the use of the word troll to describe people who abuse others online of offline.

Gives a bad name to the supernatural being from Norse mythology.

or a troll to me has always been a creature that stands on a bridge and stops you passing lol.

I prefer fairy tales to mythology :D
  • Options
    TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    or a troll to me has always been a creature that stands on a bridge and stops you passing lol.

I prefer fairy tales to mythology :D

Those two things are pretty closely linked :)
  • Options
    debdawdebdaw Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    I am very pleased about this development. Some of the stuff posted online by some people about the McCanns has been particularly venomous and spiteful. It's difficult to believe that grown up individuals are behind this sort of bile rather than school bullies. I fully believe that the perpetrators are hiding behind the anonymity of the internet and hope they are now quaking in their cowardly boots at the thought of being exposed. I hope the investigation is thorough, and that anybody who deserves to be, is prosecuted.
  • Options
    butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    debdaw wrote: »
    I am very pleased about this development. Some of the stuff posted online by some people about the McCanns has been particularly venomous and spiteful. It's difficult to believe that grown up individuals are behind this sort of bile rather than school bullies. I fully believe that the perpetrators are hiding behind the anonymity of the internet and hope they are now quaking in their cowardly boots at the thought of being exposed. I hope the investigation is thorough, and that anybody who deserves to be, is prosecuted.

I agree with much of your sentiments, but I'm not sure if it should be a criminal act, as such. I believe that, for example, the people that (or used to) go round leafletting their home town, waiting outside their house, etc. do deserve to be prosecuted, or done for slander/libel as appropriate. Similarly, anyone contacting them directly with threats or abuse or just harrassment should get the same.

For the sort of low-level mentals that just post the same old, same old on forums, twitter, facebook etc (of which sweepyface seems to be one) they just need publicly calling out, being exposed for their obsession and left to suffer the disapproval and/or mockery of their peers.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,274
    Forum Member
    this has always happened

in that past people used to send nasty letters in the post

now people have given people direct access via the internet

it will never stop there will always be a small percentage who are like this

Yep. Pretty much.
  • Options
    BerBer Posts: 24,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least now some people might understand why DS doesn't allow any discussion on the subject!
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AnnieBaker wrote: »
    i don't understand ... why do these people hate the McCanns?
    They don't.
    They don't know them other than they are high profile.
    They're a platform for feeding their egos and disorders.

If it wasn't them it would be someone else in the public eye and they are probably targeting several subjects anyway.
    It's a world away from what we regard as "trolling" on here.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    I really hope that woman is now suitably embarrassed that she has been publicly exposed. I really don't understand what it is that motivates some people to post such spiteful and hateful stuff online especially in regard to grieving parents.

It's my guess this woman (and others like her) thought she was totally anonymous and couldn't be traced - this should be a wake up call to all of them.

An opinion (even a differing one to the majority) is one thing - lies, hate and ignorance is unacceptable.

Maybe now she'll get a small and diluted dose of her own medicine and may think again. What a sad and pathetic life she must lead if she is motivated daily to post spiteful stuff. She needs help IMO.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They don't.
    They don't know them other than they are high profile.
    They're a platform for feeding their egos and disorders.

If it wasn't them it would be someone else in the public eye and they are probably targeting several subjects anyway.
    It's a world away from what we regard as "trolling" on here.

The trolling on here will be extremely mild compared to what's directed at some out there.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zx50 wrote: »
    The trolling on here will be extremely mild compared to what's directed at some out there.

That is because DS is moderated. Would be much better if other places were moderated as well.

I reported a few posts to FB the other day. Really really nasty stuff and they said the posts were not in violation of their terms.
    What can you do when they read it and just let it stay. Maybe there needs to be someone accountable for what is posted on their open forums. Maybe they would then remove the nasty stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is because DS is moderated. Would be much better if other places were moderated as well.

I reported a few posts to FB the other day. Really really nasty stuff and they said the posts were not in violation of their terms.
    What can you do when they read it and just let it stay. Maybe there needs to be someone accountable for what is posted on their open forums. Maybe they would then remove the nasty stuff.

How can you monitor Facebook or Twitter there are a billion facebook posts everyday, 2.7 billion comments how on earth do you think they can moderate that?
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That just brought to mind that not long ago I noticed a lot of articles posted on the msn site in the celebrity forum had the comment section taken down. I would go there regularly to log into my hotmail account and sometimes read a story or two. I wonder if they got tired of moderating and just decided it wasn't worth the hassle anymore.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    How can you monitor Facebook or Twitter there are a billion facebook posts everyday, 2.7 billion comments how on earth do you think they can moderate that?

Er you have a report button and reports should be look into properly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That just brought to mind that not long ago I noticed a lot of articles posted on the msn site in the celebrity forum had the comment section taken down. I would go there regularly to log into my hotmail account and sometimes read a story or two. I wonder if they got tired of moderating and just decided it wasn't worth the hassle anymore.

I didn't even know MSN was still going.:blush: I did go to them a lot, for many years but for some reason less and less till I forgot about them.

But yes I expect you are right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Er you have a report button and reports should be look into properly.

and you have 1 million smart alecs who think it's funny to misuse it as a joke or make silly comments to Facebook and how do you go through all the chaff?