Options

stevie wonder homophobe

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 332
Forum Member
surprised at stevie wonders comments and then tries to dig himself out of a hole. i think he is the one who is confused

Comments

• Options
    MrIncredibleMrIncredible Posts: 5,034
    Forum Member
    Might help if you explained what he's said.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nheaney wrote: »
    surprised at stevie wonders comments and then tries to dig himself out of a hole. i think he is the one who is confused

He didn't try to dig himself out of a hole since he wasn't ever in a hole. He just expressed an opinion - maybe a not very well articulated one - in response to a question in an interview, and he then apologised for coming across the way he did. No biggie imo and no need to be calling him a homophobe for the crime of expressing an opinion.

@MrIncredible - here's a link

http://www.towleroad.com/2012/09/stevie-wonders-apologizes-for-comments-on-frank-ocean.html
  • Options
    Saltydog1955Saltydog1955 Posts: 4,134
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't come across as homophobic.

Just a tad confused in the way he expressed himself.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's homophobic?
  • Options
    ArcticJayHArcticJayH Posts: 739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess we didn't see that coming. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous reaction to SW's comments - no way was he being homophobic :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    What a revolting reaction to Wonder's comment. Nowhere is white middle class male privilege more endemic than in the mainstream gay scene. Most of them had never heard of Ocean before he came out, much less listened to him. What do they hope to gain by persecuting good people?
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People should know the difference between very close friendships and sexual attraction.
  • Options
    sorlosorlo Posts: 621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He shouldn't have apologised as what he said wasn't homophobic. Some people just like to misinterpret things and make a fuss over nothing.
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,391
    Forum Member
    He was misinterpreted and isn't a homophobe. He said that some people are confused over sexual orientation, and that's true of many people. People often take time to discover what their true sexual orientation is, and some never figure it out.
  • Options
    bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He can have his own opinons about anything,hate this dare not offend anyone malarky.
  • Options
    pasodabblepasodabble Posts: 5,865
    Forum Member
    SW was only making a point that others had made regarding Frank Ocean. Frank did not initially say he was gay (he may have done so since) but wrote candidly on tumblr about unrequited love for a man when he was younger. That then snowballed into him "coming out". I have read similar comments where people didn't think having a crush on a man at 19 = being gay. I don't think these are homophobic thoughts - many people have had same sex crushes and ended up with someone of the opposite sex. I think Frank's was much more than a crush, but you'd need to read his entire tumblr post to realise that.

SW could have worded it less clumsily, but I don't think there were homophobic sentiments behind it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,852
    Forum Member
    Here's a link: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/showbiz/news/a403210/stevie-wonder-apologises-for-gay-people-are-confused-comments.html

I don't think it was homophobic. He just had a opinion on what he thought about some people, not all of them.
  • Options
    RayofLightRayofLight Posts: 580
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gay and I don't see what he's said as being remotely homophobic.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RayofLight wrote: »
    I'm gay and I don't see what he's said as being remotely homophobic.

Every straight person who talks about gay people/a gay person in less than sycophantic terms is a homophobe nowadays. The same is true for race issues. I'm gay too and it really annoys me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 278
    Forum Member
    There's nothing remotely homophobic about what he said. Some people seem to go out of their way to see offence in comments where none is intended.
  • Options
    Tiger RichTiger Rich Posts: 1,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All he's said is "yeah, you think you're gay but you might not be", as if people don't know their own minds, which I suppose is more condescending than anything. In the direct quote words like can and some are always great disclaimers. He hasn't expressed any opinions on homosexuality, just suggested that sexually, some people go through phases and it's true.

It's sad that he felt the need to clarify he's not saying all gay people are confused - can that not go without saying?
  • Options
    ajmanajman Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you were to switch it round and say that there are lots of people who think they're straight but who are actually gay it wouldn't be considered heterophobic so, no, Stevie's comment isn't homophobic. And besides I genuinely don't think that Stevie Wonder could ever have the ability to be negative towards anyone.
  • Options
    dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member
    nheaney wrote: »

If you actually read the article, there is no way that he, or what he said is homophobic.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the black community seem to hate the idea that anyone is gay
    many of queen latifah's fan's still won't believe she is a lesbian
  • Options
    jason81jason81 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    Homophobia is a fear of gay people. Hence the 'phobia' nothing said was homophobic. It seems anyone that says something about homosexuality that is not 100% supportive of it, or has an opinion that does not conform to PC is homophobic
  • Options
    FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rotationbl wrote: »
    Every straight person who talks about gay people/a gay person in less than sycophantic terms is a homophobe nowadays. The same is true for race issues. I'm gay too and it really annoys me.

^ This.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think what he said was remotely homophobic or even offensive. A friend of mine who I've known since he was a small child has very recently came out as straight, I kid you not! Having only ever had gay relationships for the past 8 years, he said he thought he was gay because everybody else thought he was too but then realised that he wasn't :eek: - now this is confusing!
    The oddest thing is that it's harder to now accept him as straight than it ever was to accept him as gay!
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    the black community seem to hate the idea that anyone is gay
    many of queen latifah's fan's still won't believe she is a lesbian

Where did 'the black community' (whatever the hell that is :rolleyes:) come into this?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    Love is blind.
  • Options
    sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    on many black discussion forums there seems to be a hatred of gay people alot going on about how it's wrong in the bible.
    I hate to bring race into it's but that seems to be how it is.