Options

Wales Football Thread

O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
Forum Member
Thread for discussing all things related to the Wales national team, and Welsh football in general.

Just about to kick off against Finland, Ramsey not surprisingly has a virus so misses out, Bale starts however. As always a win would be great, Finland weren't that great last time they played Wales a few years ago.

Comments

• Options
    OneTreeHillFanOneTreeHillFan Posts: 7,725
    Forum Member
    I feel like Wales should do better than they do, they have some good players.

Like the shirt they are wearing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I agree, they are too inconsistent, hopefully they get an easier group next time, and play the first eleven as often as possible, might actually have an outside chance of qualification for the expanded Euro 2016 then.

Playing ok so far, quite low key game to be fair, I know the world rankings are sometimes questionable, but Wales are around twenty places above Finland, though I think it's down to Bale to inspire anything positive going forward.
  • Options
    simonl87simonl87 Posts: 587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have a better band then the England team that's for sure. They have a lot of young talent and could benefit from an expanded Euros.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    It's a shame you've got Church upfront. I don't even think he's Championship standard. With a half-decent striker who could make use of Bale's service Wales would be so much better. Also seem to be missing a midfielder tonight who can provide a spark going forward i.e. Ramsey. Is he injured?

By the bye, Hayley McQueen's looking fine!
  • Options
    barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Would this be teams like Cardiff, Swansea, Newport and the Welsh league too?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Swansea have a thread on here, but I guess it could also be for discussing Welsh football teams that don't have a thread up to now.
    Parthenon wrote: »
    It's a shame you've got Church upfront. I don't even think he's Championship standard. With a half-decent striker who could make use of Bale's service Wales would be so much better. Also seem to be missing a midfielder tonight who can provide a spark going forward i.e. Ramsey. Is he injured?

They mentioned he has a virus. Agree about the forward options, it's one of the problem areas, there's Sam Vokes also, but he's much of the same.

Goal, Andy King:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Game finished 1-1, Finland scored in the 91st minute. Typical.

Surprised Bale played the 90 minutes, thought he'd only play around an hour maximum.
  • Options
    Reg_1994Reg_1994 Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    So pleased Finland levelled.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,023
    Forum Member
    With Ramsey/Allen and King your midfield isn't bad and of course there is Bale.

Probably need a striker - any youngsters coming through?

I guess like with Scotland you will be hoping for a kind group considering 24 teams can get into the Euros.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mark F wrote: »
    With Ramsey/Allen and King your midfield isn't bad and of course there is Bale.

Probably need a striker - any youngsters coming through?

I guess like with Scotland you will be hoping for a kind group considering 24 teams can get into the Euros.

Don't think so, no obvious ones come to mind at least.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    We missed Ramsay's creation in midfield, he would have got better quality balls to Bale.

Finland defended well
  • Options
    Forum Member
    An unfortunate but very tragic night 20 years ago today:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/24962509

The death of the poor bloke probably put the agony of the final score into perspective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Wales currently 1 nil up against Iceland, very good start, particularly by Gareth Bale.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bale very impressive, best Welsh player I've ever seen, 3-1 so far.
  • Options
    richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very good team performance, bring on Holland in June :)
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »

She ALWAYS does.
  • Options
    jackyorkjackyork Posts: 6,608
    Forum Member
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Bale very impressive, best Welsh player I've ever seen, 3-1 so far.

Bale was outstanding tonight and the whole team played well against a decent Iceland team. Emyr Huws had a good debut and I also thought we looked dangerous going forward after Bale went off.....but vunerable at the back when Collins and Ashey Williams were subsituted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you fancy your chances for Euro 2016 qualifying?

Belgium and Bosnia not easy but could have been worse...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it's a very big ask to finish in the top two, 3rd should be the aim. It's not outside the realm of possibility though, especially if the squad doesn't suffer from withdrawn players.
  • Options
    mikeydddmikeyddd Posts: 11,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Do you fancy your chances for Euro 2016 qualifying?

Belgium and Bosnia not easy but could have been worse...

On a good day Wales can take points of both of these , so there is a realistic chance of 2nd in the group