Options

Top 5 international teams right now

O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
Forum Member
Inspired by the other thread, who would be your top 5 international teams right now. Using whatever criteria you want, personally I'm using quality of available players, and which team I'd think are likely to beat the team below them more times than not. My five would be,

1) Spain
2) Brazil
3) Germany
4) Argentina
5) Portugal

Choosing the fifth team was difficult, I was torn between choosing Portugal or Italy, Netherlands, Belgium or Columbia. I haven't really seen much of the last two though, and Ronaldo playing for Portugal helped sway that decision. Belgium's current crop of talented players are well known, and with Falcao, one of the best strikers in the world playing for Columbia and I think quite a successful qualifying campaign and fifa ranking they deserved a mention at least.

Honourable mentions also go to Uruguay and Chile, but they would be closer to tenth or so.

Comments

• Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think that you will get many people saying that you are wrong with the top four teams, then it is as you mention, a real fight to bag that last spot, and you put up a good arguement for Portugal.

Good mention of Chilie, but their defeat by Brazil does hamper their push for that fifth spot, so I would have to in the end go with the same five as yourself.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mine would be:

1. Brazil
    2. Germany
    3. Spain
    4. Argentina
    5. Holland
  • Options
    PeePee Posts: 8,154
    Forum Member
    I couldn't have Portugal anywhere near a Top 5.

I think the first 4 teams are beyond any real argument, and my fifth would be either Italy or the Netherlands
  • Options
    alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am with the first four as well, but to piss Pee off, England at 5 :D
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Pee wrote: »
    I couldn't have Portugal anywhere near a Top 5.

I think the first 4 teams are beyond any real argument, and my fifth would be either Italy or the Netherlands

They usually don't qualify in any real style, but their recent tournament record is good, and in Ronaldo they have a player capable of, essentially, inspiring wins on his own if he's on form, same with Messi. It wasn't an easy decision by any means though, the top 4 are obvious, but the fifth team was difficult to pick. There's not a lot between those three teams in my opinion if they all play to form.
  • Options
    DDRickyDDDDRickyDD Posts: 5,251
    Forum Member
    1. Spain
    2. Germany
    3. Argentina
    4. Brazil
    5. Italy
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    1, Germany
    2. Argentina
    3. Spain
    4. Brazil
    5. Colombia

Again, totally agree the teams in the top 4. Would have Germany then Argentina, Spain and Brazil close, but plumped for Spain.

5th tricky, but have gone for Colombia over considerations such as Italy, Belgium and Chile.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brazil
    Argentina
    Spain
    Germany
    Italy
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member