2014 Celebs. Who do we think?

Comments

• 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,506
    Forum Member
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    On the flipside to that, would viewers over 50 have heard of Abbey Clancy or Ashley Taylor Dawson? What I like about Strictly is it caters for all ages. I hadn't heard of Fiona Fullerton, but her taking part in the series made me a big fan of hers.

I agree. I'd never heard of Tony Jacklin but my (60 year old, non-Brit) dad had. Give him Kimberley Walsh or Ashley T-D, though, and not a clue!
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve9214 wrote: »
    I also was disgusted at last year's signing of long-retired stars like Tony Jacklin and Fiona Fullerton. They had retired so long ago they were irrelevant, and would be unknown to viewers under 30
    But they would have been well known to viewers over 30, meanwhile those over 30 would have had some modern-day celebs who were unknown to them (especially so in some series prior to last year)!

It cuts both ways.
  • DamahepaDamahepa Posts: 14,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Miriam_R wrote: »
    I wonder if we'll get anyone from this Commonwealth Games (as has been mentioned), esp if they're on the verge of retiring after it finishes or, for whatever reason, need to take a break from their sporting life. I can't see any of the big names (that are at the peak of their careers) doing so because it will break the momentum of their success/training for potential up-coming success, but maybe the sort of known name that will retire after this Games and has done so with a gold medal wouldn't be a surprise to see.

i think it'll be more to do with if they have 3 months to spare. As much as Victoria Pendleton was retiring after 2012 and thus prime to do Strictly, Louis Smith was a young, vibrant hot prospect who'd just won a medal and was hoping for further success. There is absolutely no reason why one of the younger, brighter stars can't do it, just if they have time between September and December.

As mentioned above, I think Max Whitlock would be a perfect contestant- but if he has the world Championships soon he'll steer clear for another season at least. Maybe a swimmer or maybe even Mr. Daley now that Splash has been cancelled...
  • Kmc1978Kmc1978 Posts: 7,144
    Forum Member
    Helen Skelton! Helen Skelton!

Hmm, not sure. My memory of her on the xmas special is that she wasn't that great. I know that they don't get much training for it though so I suppose she could have potential with the full training regime. On the flip side she does, IIRC, have quite a full working schedule & may not have as much time to train as she would need.

Most likely she's not even in and all this speculation on my part will be pointless :p:D
    Forum Member
    Kmc1978 wrote: »
    Hmm, not sure. My memory of her on the xmas special is that she wasn't that great. I know that they don't get much training for it though so I suppose she could have potential with the full training regime. On the flip side she does, IIRC, have quite a full working schedule & may not have as much time to train as she would need.

Most likely she's not even in and all this speculation on my part will be pointless :p:D

She was one of the best on that special and is a certified dance teacher. If we give him the evil ringer he won't win, now will he?

I think she is in. If past rumour seasons have told us anything it's that The Sun more often than not get it right. But we shall see :kitty:
  • LamballeLamballe Posts: 328
    Forum Member
    Stuart25 wrote: »
    On the flipside to that, would viewers over 50 have heard of Abbey Clancy or Ashley Taylor Dawson? What I like about Strictly is it caters for all ages. I hadn't heard of Fiona Fullerton, but her taking part in the series made me a big fan of hers.

That's what I love about SCD, it is a show for all generations! There's a gross misconception that all television should solely cater for "the youf", which is just miserable really. I like a mix of contestants of all ages, celebs I know and celebs I can get to know.
  • dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Latest scd rumor on twitter via celebbritain.com

David Ames ( Dr Copeland from Holby City)

Must admit had to google him !
  • Andrew_MAndrew_M Posts: 500
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Same! He is an obscure enough name to turn out to be true. Similar (if memory serves) to Patrick Robinson off Casualty last year :-)
  • StigOfTheKrumpStigOfTheKrump Posts: 36,363
    Forum Member
    Never heard of him.

But if it does turn out to be true, we've a long list of potential young men what with Thom, Mark, Dave, etc - I guess they really are angling for a year of the man!
    Forum Member
    I've never heard of him but he looks about 15!

Anyone else think Mark Wright might not be quite the natural talent you'd expect him to be (if he's in?) I can see him going down a similar kind of route as Gavin Henson (who's name was equally derided when it was first announced he might be taking part)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    any word on when the official announcement is?
    Forum Member
    rifleman wrote: »
    any word on when the official announcement is?

It's still looking to be early September as with previous years, so still a little while to wait yet.

(is David being rumoured anywhere other than this Twitter account or not?)
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    But they would have been well known to viewers over 30, meanwhile those over 30 would have had some modern-day celebs who were unknown to them (especially so in some series prior to last year)!

It cuts both ways.

My point about Tony and Fiona was not their ages, but the mere fact that they had both been retired for so long.
    Strictly has to have young and old celebs, but at least make sure they are active in their field.

The opposite of the old, retired celeb is a young one who has not done anything yet - Chloe Madeley anyone ??? (Dancing on Ice)

Is anyone picking up new celebs "following" strictly Pros on Twitter yet ???
    Forum Member
    All I got was Alison following Robin and Craig, although I really hope they aren't as blatant as to pair Robin with another "doing it for the big girls" contestant .
    Forum Member
    To double post, I wonder if we'll be getting any minority sports represented this year?

By minority I mean a sportsman/woman from outside of the football/ cricket/ athletics/ rugby wheelhouse. Last year we had Golf and it's been a while since our last tennis player. We've only ever had one jockey (although I can't think of any retired ones who could possibly do it?) and it's been a long time since Willie Thorne representing the world of snooker (Rishi Persad, anyone?)

If they want to go back to golf they could possibly go for Sam Torrence who's older but not quite as decrepit as Tony.
  • Steve9214Steve9214 Posts: 8,405
    Forum Member
    To double post, I wonder if we'll be getting any minority sports represented this year?

it's been a long time since Willie Thorne representing the world of snooker (Rishi Persad, anyone?)

Stephen Lee (snooker) is free for the next 12 years or so !!!
  • Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of him.

But if it does turn out to be true, we've a long list of potential young men what with Thom, Mark, Dave, etc - I guess they really are angling for a year of the man!

No objection from me.;-)
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    I would LOVE Rishi, such a good presenter.

I'd also love David Ames, but for purely for observational reasons
  • cwickhamcwickham Posts: 10,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's on the front cover of the latest Gay Times and was once in a Doctor Who special.

I can see them going for someone from Holby as it's been a while, actually.
  • Stuart25Stuart25 Posts: 12,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd love a rower to take part - team GB did very well in rowing in London 2012.
    Forum Member
    I imagine we'll get another name before the weekend is out- during the first weekend of August last year we got Dave, Tony and Fiona.
    Forum Member
    I imagine we'll get another name before the weekend is out- during the first weekend of August last year we got Dave, Tony and Fiona.

I'll keep my eyes out at midnight (although saying that, we'll be more likely to see something in the Sunday papers)

I'm still seeing no other mentions of David being rumoured other than this tweet...
    Forum Member
    Nothing as of yet, apart from Louis Walsh going on his annual anti-Strictly rant. This year, he wants to 'kill' this show. Whatever that means.
    Forum Member
    We're probably due a proper sporty rumour and an actor, both of which we're very short of.
  • pothuthicpothuthic Posts: 47,103
    Forum Member
    How about Alice Perkins?