Amazons prices are wrong!

Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I just saw a good book on Amazon and it said used from 0.01p so I clicked on it and the cheapest one they had available was £3.55. Plus postage.

Why are they saying the cheapest is 1 p plus postage?

Comments

• AnnieBakerAnnieBaker Posts: 4,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's really bad, what time wasters!
  • AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Are you sure you read all the options eg used condition?
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Abriel wrote: »
    Are you sure you read all the options eg used condition?

Read it several times and definitely says in the middle used from 1p
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just saw a good book on Amazon and it said used from 0.01p so I clicked on it and the cheapest one they had available was £3.55. Plus postage.

Because the book only costs 0.01p but the cost of postage is £3.54.
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member

I visited OP's link and the book was £3.54 with £2.80 postage I think.
  • Mountain_RunnerMountain_Runner Posts: 1,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No it says 1p plus £2.80 postage which is normal then I click on it and there is no option for this it only gives £3.55 plus £2.80 postage.
  • MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazon sometimes get things wrong.

Like the time I noticed they had charged me £79 for Prime when I had never ordered it or trialled it, and they had no record of any such transaction. Sometimes they just have bugs in the system they aren't aware of.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe there was a copy for a pence, but someone else put it into their cart making it unavailable when you clicked on the link. It happens.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it "Veronica decides to die" by Paulo Cuelo?
    I bought that book on amazon for a penny but the postage was £2.50
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This has been happening recently with Amazon.

For people who don't understand, the price is mentioned as being £X in a search. But when you click to the actual item it's a different price entirely.

And it's not the elevated postage that's the issue.

I have clicked on search items that were, say, £64.99 (free postage) then when I click to it it's a much higher price.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've complained about the prices going up and down in the past when I was watching the price of the complete series of buffy the vampire slayer on dvd. I bought it when it was a good price but it went down again
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I've complained about the prices going up and down in the past when I was watching the price of the complete series of buffy the vampire slayer on dvd. I bought it when it was a good price but it went down again

What did they say when you complained? I'd have thought it was fairly standard business practice to have flexible pricing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Ive noticed that the few times Ive bought from Amazon. Something will say one price and at checkout its higher. I dont buy from them anymore, their conversion from dollars into Mexican pesos is confusing and not always right.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What did they say when you complained? I'd have thought it was fairly standard business practice to have flexible pricing.

I can't remember exactly but think it was some excuse about prices going up and down because of different sellers.
    At least if you preorder something the price you preordered it at is the price you pay. Supernatural season 9 blu ray was something like eight pounds cheaper and now its gone back up again but it is the only supernatural blu ray I've bought at full price so I don't mind
  • TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    #First World Problems

(Oh yes, I went there :D)

I find that when I find out who much the item will actually cost me, I either buy it if it's still affordable or I don't and either source it from elsewhere or wait until it's affordable.
    What I don't do is piss and moan about it on an internet forum.
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    I've started to buy books elsewhere because they can be a lot cheaper on other sites. I use Wordery, although they've had mixed reviews, and they're much slower to deliver than Amazon, I've been happy with them so far.

That said, Amazon sometime has some great price glitches, where you end up buying something whether you want it or not.:D
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member
    I can't remember exactly but think it was some excuse about prices going up and down because of different sellers.
    At least if you preorder something the price you preordered it at is the price you pay. Supernatural season 9 blu ray was something like eight pounds cheaper and now its gone back up again but it is the only supernatural blu ray I've bought at full price so I don't mind

Well prices will go up and down, that's what happens in a free market economy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Maybe there was a copy for a pence, but someone else put it into their cart making it unavailable when you clicked on the link. It happens.

The copy would still be available to buy as putting it in one's cart/basket does not cause it to disappear. Only when one has paid will it vanish.

Ducky
    Amazon Marketplace Seller
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »

Like the time I noticed they had charged me £79 for Prime when I had never ordered it or trialled it, and they had no record of any such transaction. Sometimes they just have bugs in the system they aren't aware of.

they did the same to me, what a "coincidence".
    Forum Member
    Amazon have bugs all the time - they never stop tinkering even when the system is working OK. They have now done away with the advanced search option for CDs and as for their book catalogue ... quackers.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon have bugs all the time - they never stop tinkering even when the system is working OK. They have now done away with the advanced search option for CDs and as for their book catalogue ... quackers.

Duck with orange, duck with cherries, duck surprise..

What's duck surprise??
    Forum Member
    Duck with orange, duck with cherries, duck surprise..

What's duck surprise??

Quack orff missie.:o
  • anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    they did the same to me, what a "coincidence".

Wow, same "coincidence" here :D
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    MrQuike wrote: »

I bet they have never accidentally paid £79 into your bank account though, i wonder why that sort of glitch never happens.;-)
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I got an email last year asking why I hadn't used my Prime. I wasn't aware I had signed up, although I had trialled it in the past.

I checked my bank statements and the £79 was indeed listed and I had missed it.

I thought I would complain, but it turned out I didn't have to. Cancelling gave me an automatic refund