Is there a Doctor you don't actually want to come back?

124»

Comments

• CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »
    I thought they all did pretty well out of that story (apart from Martha who was not utilised properly). It is one of my favourite stories over all - just the fact he thought to include a scene where Davros recognised Sarah Jane shows (to me) how he could perfectly pitch the 50th anniversary show.

That was certainly an improvement over how the reunion with Susan was handled in The Five Doctors. (And what wouldn't be?)
  • andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Definatly don't want more Tennant, unless he plays it like in that one ep he was good in

Let me guess, you are not a Tennant lover then, as in most peoples opinions he was good in a lot more than 1 episode.
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    That was certainly an improvement over how the reunion with Susan was handled in The Five Doctors. (And what wouldn't be?)

The problem with modern Who is it makes you re-evaluate Classic Who. The Five Doctors seems pretty poor now - the moment when 5th Doctor meets Susan and just smiles at her . . . woeful!
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    I thought they all did pretty well out of that story (apart from Martha who was not utilised properly). It is one of my favourite stories over all - just the fact he thought to include a scene where Davros recognised Sarah Jane shows (to me) how he could perfectly pitch the 50th anniversary show.

As others said, he pretty much had too. But I agree it was handled beautifully. However, it is one scene among a lot entertaining, but ultimately empty stuff imo.

Don't get me wrong, TSE/JE are favourites of mine, from a purely entertaining point of view. But I'd prefer something a bit more sci-fi and plot driven for the 50th.
  • ListentomeListentome Posts: 9,804
    Forum Member
    The problem with modern Who is it makes you re-evaluate Classic Who. The Five Doctors seems pretty poor now - the moment when 5th Doctor meets Susan and just smiles at her . . . woeful!

I try not to compare the old and new stuff too much. Back then, the back stories and emotional context were not primary in storytelling. However, having watched a lot of Davison stuff lately, I am pleasantly surprised at how much there was an emotional anchor to some scenes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peter Cushing's...:D
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Peter Cushing's...:D

Arabella Weir's...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 82,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    don't want either Tom or Colin to come back for obvious reasons.
    Forum Member
    Listentome wrote: »
    Don't get me wrong, TSE/JE are favourites of mine, from a purely entertaining point of view. But I'd prefer something a bit more sci-fi and plot driven for the 50th.

You see, I'm the opposite. I love it to be about the characters. RTD was brilliant at developing great characters and telling their stories. TSE/JE are all about the characters really.

Moffatt's much more about the narrative and whilst I find his stories intriguing, I don't really engage with them because I don't care about the characters as much.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    andy1231 wrote: »
    Let me guess, you are not a Tennant lover then, as in most peoples opinions he was good in a lot more than 1 episode.

He's the worst of the New-Doctors, but maybe I phrased that last part wrong, he's good in more than 1 episodes, I just only genuinely like him in one episode.(The Christmas Invasion incase you were wondering)
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Moffatt's much more about the narrative and whilst I find his stories intriguing, I don't really engage with them because I don't care about the characters as much.

Moffat's about the layers, and not all of them are plot. He doesn't shove the character work in your face as much, but it's definitely there, every bit as much.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the worst of the New-Doctors, but maybe I phrased that last part wrong, he's good in more than 1 episodes, I just only genuinely like him in one episode.(The Christmas Invasion incase you were wondering)

Was that because he was asleep for most of it? ;)

Actually, Tennant used to be near the bottom of my list personally (although it was the writing of the character rather than his portrayal that i'm not that keen on) but recently i've started to find him a lot more entertaining, mostly because me and my girlfriend have so much fun laughing at his expressions. Until she pointed it out I didn't realize just how much his acting is based on gurning and making silly faces. Now I am often laughing hysterically watching him. A few nights ago she showed me a clip of him in Harry Potter and he had stolen Billie Piper's 'tongue sticking out the side of her mouth' face (one of a range of four she employed in her Doctor Who run). We call it 'the Tennant acting school'. So, i've started liking him a lot more recently.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »

No he just didn't seem to do his cheesy overacting much in that ep, and he got a bit badass at the end, he obviously still had some of Eccleston's Doctor's awesome personality at that point
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No he just didn't seem to do his cheesy overacting much in that ep,

He was well suited to the role though because over the top melodrama was what they wanted.
  • Sophie ~Oohie~Sophie ~Oohie~ Posts: 10,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    They probably just enjoyed watching him writhing around glowing etc, and seeing how the others managed to deal with it. It's not just me ya know ;)
    Forum Member
    Moffat's about the layers, and not all of them are plot. He doesn't shove the character work in your face as much, but it's definitely there, every bit as much.

I really do disagree. I think Moffatt is almost all about plot. The characters seem more like devices to drive the plot and the characterisation is written in around it. Amy and Rory are great examples of this.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    I really do disagree. I think Moffatt is almost all about plot. The characters seem more like devices to drive the plot and the characterisation is written in around it. Amy and Rory are great examples of this.

But isn't that the way character-driven stories are supposed to work? The character's personality and relationships to other characters should be an integral part of the plot, not tacked-on afterwards.

Moffat has taken great care to examine and present how encountering the Doctor changes people's lives through the stories, previously there was a tendency to present it in speeches rather than in action.

It comes back to the old writing maxim, "Show, don't tell".
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Show,_don't_tell
  • steven1977steven1977 Posts: 3,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benrees21 wrote: »
    They should just include 8,10 and 11. Thinking about practicality and that CE won't do it. Make it hour and half - hour 45 mins episode or two!

Yeah great way to piss all over the classic series!