Options

Do Germany get to keep this trophy?

JBOJBO Posts: 6,148
Forum Member
Like Brazil in 1970, aren't they the first team to win the current trophy 3 times?

Comments

• Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy have won it three times as well
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Italy have won the current trophy twice.
  • Options
    SaddlerSteveSaddlerSteve Posts: 4,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a stipulation made by Jules Rimet himself that the first team to win his trophy 3 times would get to keep it.

There's nothing like that in place for this one.

The winners always get to keep a gold plated copy of the original anyway.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    JBO wrote: »
    Like Brazil in 1970, aren't they the first team to win the current trophy 3 times?
    No. They get a replica. The original stays with FIFA.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    They were West Germany when they won it 1974 but no they don't get to keep it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's also now only space for 3 more teams to be engraved on the present trophy which would indicate they'll need a new one anyway in 2030.

That will also be the 100th anniversary of the tournament so would be a good time for a new trophy anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodwin wrote: »

And indeed in 1990 : the country wasn't officially reunified until October that year.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The German national team incorporates the history of the West Germany side, so this is still their fourth win.
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think it would have been nice to see them keep it after Brazil did to be honest
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even the original trophy, in gold terms is only worth less than half of Ronaldo's weekly wages.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-price-of-the-world-cup-its-about-half-of-ronaldos-salary-30340903.html

But it's the win that counts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »
    The German national team incorporates the history of the West Germany side, so this is still their fourth win.

Yes, it's the same football federation and team
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it would have been nice to see them keep it after Brazil did to be honest
    If it's worth $10m can you see FIFA giving that away?
  • Options
    Apollo CreedApollo Creed Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    If it's worth $10m can you see FIFA giving that away?

I reckon FIFA have enough to cover it ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    celesti wrote: »

Indeed.
    I noticed on their Wikipedia page someone has already amended the badge so it shows 4 stars!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I reckon FIFA have enough to cover it ;-)
    I'm sure they have billions in the bank. Doesn't mean that they like to give money away.
  • Options
    Scarlett BerryScarlett Berry Posts: 21,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You really have to let this point go. Germany was never 2 countries as much as you would like it to appear so.

Germany have won the WORLD CUP FOUR, that is, 4 Times. Being bitter and trying to rewrite geogriphical (sic) boundries just doesn't wash. Only makes you look delusional and not a fair sport.

Well done Deutschland!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You really have to let this point go. Germany was never 2 countries as much as you would like it to appear so.

Germany have won the WORLD CUP FOUR, that is, 4 Times. Being bitter and trying to rewrite geogriphical (sic) boundries just doesn't wash. Only makes you look delusional and not a fair sport.

Well done Deutschland!

I wasn't trying to make any point. Somebody pointed out before you about German unification and the world cup wins under West Germany. I didn't dispute it. And don't accuse me of being bitter. I was more than happy that Germany won the world cup as I pointed out in the world cup final thread. Thank you.
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A German friend of mine is always adding all the West and East German Olympic medals to show that Germany is the most successful Olympic nation or something similar...

Obviously, Germany now have 4 stars in football, but to the poster who said West and East Germany were never two different states... :confused: That's wrong.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't trying to make any point. Somebody pointed out before you about German unification and the world cup wins under West Germany. I didn't dispute it. And don't accuse me of being bitter. I was more than happy that Germany won the world cup as I pointed out in the world cup final thread. Thank you.

Fair dues, please accept my apologies. No offence intended;-)x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Fair dues, please accept my apologies. No offence intended;-)x

Of course. Thank you :)
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I asked the same on the final game thread.

I think it would be good for Germany to keep this one, make a new one, and first to get 3 wins the new one. Why not?
  • Options
    Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Merkel should just keep it anyway

Who's going to stop her?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Who's going to stop her?

Christ, I hate crap like this. >:(
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Who's going to stop her?

Not David Cameron that`s for sure!! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Christ, I hate crap like this. >:(

Well Merkel could be better at PR. Showing up at a Greece Germany (I think it was the last Euros) is exactly the Thatcherlike bs no one needs.

Anyway with her elephant in a China shop PR methods, one can sadly say the ones without a detailed knowledge of German politics will react to her and not to the large left wing party percentage most Germans vote for. (SPD, Gruene, Die Linke) etc.