Options

Open Uni/benefits question

angelbabyxangelbabyx Posts: 742
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm confused about part time/full time course (whether it would be considered that) and jobseekers.

Basically I was under the impression that 2 open uni courses is considered 'full time' but is it only considered part time? As I don't think I'll get any funding for doing it, apart from they fund one of the courses (course fees), but not the other one. They give me nothing towards 'living costs' i think, so I'm worried if I can't claim JSA? I'm looking for a job, so I guess I have to stay on JSA. :confused:

If ive got to sign off to do the 2 courses I wanna do, then I will just have to... maybe a big mistake but I don't like the idea of lying to them and they've done nothing specific to help me find work on the 'work programme' im on, to me they've seemed completely useless at helping me (the advisor i had who has now left apparently didnt even put my details into their system so they could send me for jobs wtf :confused: whole time she was telling me she was putting me in for jobs :confused: how exactly??) and honestly the jobcentre only care that I turn up to my appts. I have to find a job by myself clearly as the help isn't good enough. I'm finding it very hard.

Does anyone know regarding my question?

Comments

• Options
    sadmuppetsadmuppet Posts: 8,222
    Forum Member
    I think that 120 points per year is counted as full time on OU degrees - that may be 2 or 4 courses, depending on which ones you're doing!

That's what I always understood, but worth checking with student services.
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    To be on job seekers you have to be available for work. So if you are doing courses then they will say you are not available to work
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't you just do one part time course, receive jsa and course funding, and continue looking for work?
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    The formal advice is below:
    Full-time students

Full-time students can’t usually get JSA until their course has officially finished - check the date with your college or university. You may be able to claim JSA during the summer holiday if you have children.

You can usually do an Open University course or short course (2 weeks or less) without it affecting your JSA - tell Jobcentre Plus before you start.

Part-time students

You can get JSA while studying part-time if you can combine your course with a job, or are willing to give up your course for a job.
    https://www.gov.uk/jobseekers-allowance/eligibility

The implication of the above is to check with the local Job Centre and see what they say about the proposed course(s) and weekly time that would be devoted to the course(s).
  • Options
    tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can also work full time and do 60 points a year. Some crazy people have even done 90 if they overlap (sept and feb start).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    To be on job seekers you have to be available for work. So if you are doing courses then they will say you are not available to work

What if you say you're doing them (or maybe one) at weekends?

You only have to be available for work during weekdays, as far as I know.
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just say its a part time course... How will they know?

If found out down the line just say you didn't understand
  • Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    Peter_CJ wrote: »
    What if you say you're doing them (or maybe one) at weekends?

You only have to be available for work during weekdays, as far as I know.

As soon as you mention you are doing one then they will ask for proof, So times and dates will come up

And people saying don't tell them, What about when the OP gets sent on job centre courses that could clash
  • Options
    maxsimaxsi Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cris182 wrote: »
    As soon as you mention you are doing one then they will ask for proof, So times and dates will come up

And people saying don't tell them, What about when the OP gets sent on job centre courses that could clash

You can do OU when you want to so unlikely to clash