'The Boys' and 'Powers' no more, what's next?

SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So Ennis' said early on that 'The Boys' would out-Preacher Preacher.. and in my opinion it did at times, especially the early arcs, the 'Herogasm' mini and the thought provoking 'Butcher, Baker, Candlestickmaker' mini.

I think the final throwdown with the capes could have been done better, but it wasn't that bad. The final arc was a great idea... but could once again have been done better.

So for me, unlike Punisher Max, but like Preacher, Ennis produced an intriguing and fully fleshed out world but ended a great series with less gumption than they began with.

The ending of Bendis' Powers alhtough quite cool art-wise left me feeling less than satisfied in the context of the great series it has been... although with Bendis' fingers in so many pies, it's a wonder that he found time to finish it all... so onwards to Powers: Bureau, I do believe?

Two of the mainstays of my monthly picks were Bendis' Powers and Ennis' The Boys. Both finished this year... so what now for quality non-mainstream reads?

I read Morning Glories, Fables, TWD, Inseparable, Jennifer Blood, Invincible etc. and only TWD has that 'feel' that I'm looking for is there anything else out there?

Anything worth reading from DC's 52, I last read DC at 'Flashpoint' so haven't read any of the new '52' books.

Alll-in-all two Powers and The Boys will be sorely missed by me.

Comments

• ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They'll be missed by me too. The tv version of Powers also seems to have hit the buffers.
    More Astro City and Top 10 might compensate for their passing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    I enjoy Mind the Gap from Image and if you are interseted in playing catch up Gotham central from DC by Rucka and Brubaker is very good. GC is a available in 4 volumes and Mind the Gap is 6 issues in and the first trade is already out.
    Snyder's Batman series is very good probably the best of the New 52 IMO.
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    They'll be missed by me too. The tv version of Powers also seems to have hit the buffers.
    More Astro City and Top 10 might compensate for their passing.

Actually that's a great idea... I think I'll re-read Astro CIty! cheers
  • SWW (SWW)SWW (SWW) Posts: 23,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jakeyv37 wrote: »
    I enjoy Mind the Gap from Image and if you are interseted in playing catch up Gotham central from DC by Rucka and Brubaker is very good. GC is a available in 4 volumes and Mind the Gap is 6 issues in and the first trade is already out.
    Snyder's Batman series is very good probably the best of the New 52 IMO.

I've actually got GC in cbr files, so I will most likely give it read. I think I've read a few when the crossed over with some multi-cross-over Batman story line.

Lots of talk about Snyder's Batman, I might give it a few more months, so that the issues available build up to a worthwhile read. I haven't read any New 52 yet!