Remember 9/11

Comments

• Stever7Stever7 Posts: 1,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was at school at the time and whilst I can't remember how word got to us I remember talking about it in the playground and being extremly scared because my Godfather was flying back to the states that day. As it turned out he was pretty much half way when they were told they were diverting to another airport (which turned out to be the one they had left; they turned around and came back).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,510
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    Until yesterday I forgot all about it.

And later today I'll forget about it again.

How nice of you, so glad you shared that with us :mad:
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Knock knock".
    "Who's there?"
    "September 11th".
    "September 11th who?"
    "YOU SAID YOU'D NEVER FORGET, YOU BASTARD!!!"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They kind of have a point though. No one really gives it any thought until the anniversary.

For the last 12 months I had forgotten about it. In fact was it not for the media and repeated documentaries I would probably not have realised it was the anniversary.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember being home that day and then it coming up on CNN as I had Sky back then.
    About 15 mins later it came on all the main channels but think CNN got it first?
    Forum Member
    They kind of have a point though. No one really gives it any thought until the anniversary.

For the last 12 months I had forgotten about it. In fact was it not for the media and repeated documentaries I would probably not have realised it was the anniversary.

Are you talking about noone in the entire world, cause please dont include me in that. I think about it all the time
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Don't be angry with me little man, be angry with US foreign policy that made 9/11 possible. But thats another argument for another day.

People forget about things all the time, for say someone in NY right now who lived through it, it's hard to forget but for someone on the other side of the world who TBH it didn't affect and didn't impact on their lives it's going to be a case of them not remembering as such.

If it wasn't for the media's reporting of the anniversary and the like some people who were not directly affected by it would of happily have gone about their business. Myself included.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are you talking about noone in the entire world, cause please dont include me in that. I think about it all the time

By "no one" I suspect the poster meant either people they know personally, not in "the entire world".
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He went about it the wrong way, but in essence he's right. Plus the American population in general hold onto it way too much. Time to let it go and leave it in the past where it belongs.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Why are we instructed to remember 9/11 in particular each year? It couldn't be because it was largely American lives that were lost, could it? Plenty of other nations suffered from terrorism both before and after 9/11 - I don't see an annual appeal for those incidents to be remembered.
    Forum Member
    Why are we instructed to remember 9/11 in particular each year? It couldn't be because it was largely American lives that were lost, could it? Plenty of other nations suffered from terrorism both before and after 9/11 - I don't see an annual appeal for those incidents to be remembered.

Whos instructing, I beleive its a personal thing, but who could be so ignorant to forget what happened that day
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member

That day changed the world. Millions of people watched these horrifying pictures around the world. How anyone can forget is mind boggling. I was 10 years old that day and I remember it crystal clear though I didn't really understand what was going on. Each year I have found out what went on that i didn't know when I was that age and it has upset me.
  • George_McPhailGeorge_McPhail Posts: 21
    Forum Member
    Of course no one who saw this happen is getting to forget. It was a day that changed the world forever.

What I do find really tasteless and tacky, is that a couple of my American friends on FB have been posting pictures of themselves proudly showing off 9/11 memorial cups, t shirts, tote bags and stuffed fire rescue dogs emblazoned with 9/11 on it. they bought from a 9/11 Memorial gift shop.

Yip, A gift shop dedicated to 9/11.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    Of course no one who saw this happen is getting to forget. It was a day that changed the world forever.

What I do find really tasteless and tacky, is that a couple of my American friends on FB have been posting pictures of themselves proudly showing off 9/11 memorial cups, t shirts, tote bags and stuffed fire rescue dogs emblazoned with 9/11 on it. they bought from a 9/11 Memorial gift shop.

That is distasteful!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My OH watched a documentary last night about a survivor.

The first advert after each section was the British Army trying to recruit. That did not sit well with me at all. Hard to explain why but I just thought it a bit dis respectful to use the incident as a recruitment drive.

Also I was surprised they are recruiting seems as they only just recently laid a load off.
  • habbyhabby Posts: 10,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

And it wasn't the 9th November.....it was the 11th September!!:)
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    :confused: Why do we have to do this dance every single year?

Who's "we"? Nobody's forcing you to.

Any reason to moan, huh? :rolleyes:
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Whos instructing, I beleive its a personal thing, but who could be so ignorant to forget what happened that day

I remember this Sept 11th. It's more pertinent to me.
  • BrooklynBoyBrooklynBoy Posts: 10,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    Why, what happened on the 9th of November?

Really? Every damn year this tired old joke.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess people view loss of lives at the hands of other people, much stronger than lives lost to natural disasters.

I mean on Boxing day does anyone post anything about this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake_and_tsunami

230,000 lives lost.

I am not saying you shouldn't be emotional about either but 230,000 lives wiped out and it seems to have been forgotten.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Seriously:eek::confused:
    Why would you do that with everything else that happens all the time, whether in public eye or in your personal life? Unless you lost someone close, or as a consequence of that , someone close is out fighting in Afghanistan, then why would you?
  • rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Remember being home that day and then it coming up on CNN as I had Sky back then.
    About 15 mins later it came on all the main channels but think CNN got it first?

Yeah because CNN is in America
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,193
    Forum Member
    Who's "we"? Nobody's forcing you to.

Any reason to moan, huh? :rolleyes:

I'm sorry. I didn't know you paid for my computer & internet usage what else can't i complain about?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an aunt and uncles wedding anniversary and also my sister in law and another aunts birthday. I feel quite sorry for them, as they've never really had that day as their own since it's always tinged with this anniversary.
  • CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel the most fitting and respectful way to remember 9/11 is to wear a snazzy 9/11 memorial bow tie, reasonably priced at only $57.