Options

Twitter

henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Many employees have to have their work related Tweets vetted by the firm's press relations officer.

How come football players don't have their tweets vetted by their clubs?

Comments

• Options
    Grim FandangoGrim Fandango Posts: 4,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure I follow. 'Work related' seems a bit ambiguous. Do you mean tweets referring to their workplace or simply tweets made from work?

Either way, I guess the answer would be because searching out and monitoring countless different social networking pages of the dozens of players on a club's books seems a bit Orwellian? I'd imagine that warning the players that any controversial comments (or other actions) made in the public realm could have an impact by extension on their club is about as far as it need go.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    If you are thinking about the Balotelli one, laughing at Manchester United, and then suggesting footballers should have all tweets about football vetted by their clubs, that's way OTT.

In general, twitter has been very good for connecting footballers with fans. And the more than occasional stupid, ill considered tweet from a footballer doesn't change that fact.

Educate, deal with particular tweets at the time, if there is an issue but vetting all footballers' football related tweets, as I said just totally OTT, unnecessary, probably unworkable and frankly pretty silly IMO.

As for Mario's laugh at Man United, most folk recognise him as a harmless oaf, kind of typically not even considering Liverpool's loss of the previous day.

If you want something to be concerned about, concern yourself that society has so many dregs in it who spend time replying with such vile, racist tweets.

PS : apologies if I have interpreted your OP wrongly, but you hardly made yourself clear.
  • Options
    CoenCoen Posts: 5,711
    Forum Member
    The whole point of twitter is that it allows people to express spontaneous. off the cuff commentary on stuff as it happens. The idea of "vetting" peoples tweets is unworkable. The fact that this seems to have arisen as a suggestion simply because a footballer used twitter to laugh at Man Utd is frankly ludicrous.

If clubs are worried about what footballers tweet the only real option is to ban them from using twitter entirely, which is something that some clubs have done (Leeds United did it for a while).
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 57,186
    Forum Member
    Many employees have to have their work related Tweets vetted by the firm's press relations officer.

I don't think it's really work related for Balotelli to tweet about Man Utd personally.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    If anyone gets wound up by a footballer posting "LOL [insert team here]", they need to give their head a wobble.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As you mention with many employees outside football , a lot of clubs do have guidelines and policies if they see it as representing the club publicly.

As a rule of thumb I think they should really be trusted until they give someone a reason not to, posting LOL about a rival team losing is really pantomime stuff and only becomes offensive in the pitchfork-lighting replies as the mob get together and try to out-shock each other behind the mask of anonymity.
  • Options
    BosoxBosox Posts: 14,191
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Wait, what do you mean vetted? I don't believe 'many employees' have to have their tweets pre approved by employers. Footballers generally are given advice about what they tweet and can be subject to discipline if they tweet inappropriately.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine a lot of people were. thinking Man U LOL, yesterday I don't get what Mario said wong
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I imagine a lot of people were. thinking Man U LOL, yesterday I don't get what Mario said wong

I agree. A radio news report yesterday evening said 'There was an upset in the Premier League today as Man Utd lost to Leicester City'

I thought, I'm not upset!!!
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The only reason that Balotelli probably shouldn't have done it, is that his own team had been schooled by West Ham, the day before. Just made him look stupid.

If Liverpool had smashed West Ham, with him scoring a hat-trick, then fair enough.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Poor Mario. He is literally an innocent abroad here.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ex- Man City player, now playing for Liverpool, making a comment about a rival.

Where is the wrong in that?

For anyone taking his comment serious, please, please, please, stay off social media.

Pretty sure he gets dogs abuse every day of the week. Makes a throw away comment gets racial abuse back.

Stay classy football fans.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The only reason that Balotelli probably shouldn't have done it, is that his own team had been schooled by West Ham, the day before. Just made him look stupid.

If Liverpool had smashed West Ham, with him scoring a hat-trick, then fair enough.

True. But I didn't get any impression that the string of offensive replies had very much to do with the illogically of Mario's position.

He did set himself up for some interesting replies about just how Liverpool's match had gone. But, I suspect, that was totally beyond the wit of many of these tweeters, either seriously troubled or more likely just trying to be more offensive than other ones.
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    True. But I didn't get any impression that the string of offensive replies had very much to do with the illogically of Mario's position.

He did set himself up for some interesting replies about just how Liverpool's match had gone. But, I suspect, that was totally beyond the wit of many of these tweeters, either seriously troubled or more likely just trying to be more offensive than other ones.

Yes, I quite agree.

I don't for a second condone, or even understand, spittle-flecked, mouth-breathing cretins spewing their vitriolic abuse.

He could have been made to look pretty stupid, but instead he's rightly seen as a victim.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Twitter can be a tool for good, but sadly it can also be used by people to say the most horrible of things.

Just because someone posts something, doesn't mean it has to have a reply, people should engage their brains before posting, sadly far too many people do not.
  • Options
    jazzydrury3jazzydrury3 Posts: 27,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isnt football taken far to seri sly these days.

If it is fans, who get uptight with this kinda thing.

I support a team, yes I would likt them to win, if tbey don't I don't get over upset, maybe that doesn't make me a true Foitball fan.

I don't no why Footballers and celebrities do all this Twitter etc, cause it always seems to land em in trouble
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Twitter can be a tool for good, but sadly it can also be used by people to say the most horrible of things.

Just because someone posts something, doesn't mean it has to have a reply, people should engage their brains before posting, sadly far too many people do not.

Completely agree.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    If anyone gets wound up by a footballer posting "LOL [insert team here]", they need to give their head a wobble.

While I agree, there are plenty of nutters out there in the intarweb, and Balotelli would have known this.

I don't condone anything that came back to him that was of a racist nature, but obviously United have fans all over the world.......some countries less "civilised" that others....shall we say.

Now he will cry that he is the victim, when he is the one that could have avoided it entirely.
  • Options
    JoTaylorJoTaylor Posts: 9,870
    Forum Member
    RotMojo wrote: »
    While I agree, there are plenty of nutters out there in the intarweb, and Balotelli would have known this.

I don't condone anything that came back to him that was of a racist nature, but obviously United have fans all over the world.......some countries less "civilised" that others....shall we say.

Now he will cry that he is the victim, when he is the one that could have avoided it entirely.

I agree - my first reaction was "This won't end well". Bit like Tom Cleverley Q&A sessions - always ends up with abuse so why keep on doing them.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But he is a victim in this. There's nothing that he could have said that would justify the abuse he got.
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just because someone posts something, doesn't mean it has to have a reply

:D:D:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    But he is a victim in this. There's nothing that he could have said that would justify the abuse he got.

He provoked a reaction, and knew exactly what he was doing imo.

I don't condone anything that came back at him, but anyone could have seen it coming. Even Balotelli.

I think he enjoys being a victim, in a weird way.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 130
    Forum Member
    As a Manchester United fan I see nothing wrong in what Balotelli said yesterday.

If you're willing to dish it out, you have to be willing to take it.
  • Options
    Super Dog ManSuper Dog Man Posts: 4,810
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He provoked a reaction, and knew exactly what he was doing imo.

I don't condone anything that came back at him, but anyone could have seen it coming. Even Balotelli.

I think he enjoys being a victim, in a weird way.

Sure he loves to be racially abused.

It was a throw away comment from a ex-Man City player, now playing at Liverpool. Again, I am also pretty sure he got abuse because of the West Ham game.

People take it far too serious.

Its only a game.
  • Options
    henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not wrong. I would say unwise. However if Liverpool FC (or indeed his own PR agent) are happy - then I'm happy.
    Coen wrote: »
    The whole point of twitter is that it allows people to express spontaneous. off the cuff commentary on stuff as it happens. ... .

Quite. That's the benefit to readers and the media. That's also the danger to those who might want to control the comments of their staff - and thereby their firm's image.

The Mario Balotelli comment was quite mild compared with many of Joey Barton's tweets - not to mention Kevin Pietersen.