The Curate. :D
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    The Curate. :D

He reminds me of PC Spooner from Heartbeat. :D

Enjoyed the episode so far - has been the best paced of the three so far.
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm loving this as well. I think the best friend that he is in love with (can't remember her name) loves him too, so why is she marrying the other guy? Purely for money? If so he is better off out of it.

I think she's a cow, actually. The scene in the church, where she didn't bother to hide her mocking laughter at the struggling curate, was unforgivably cruel. The behaviour of a spoilt, self regarding, local beauty uncaring of the feelings of anyone but herself. I suppose Syd is going to end up with her, but he'll eventually find her out.
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    He reminds me of PC Spooner from Heartbeat. :D

Enjoyed the episode so far - has been the best paced of the three so far.

I don't know why, but when I saw the curate hoovering I had Queen's 'I Want to Break Free' running through my mind lol.

I agree. I thought this episode was the best yet. I'm loving this drama now.

It doesn't seem to matter now that the crimes are on the light side; it is the main characters that make this drama be so very good.
  • Options
    LadyOfShalottLadyOfShalott Posts: 3,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this week's episode!

They really have improved on the original stories and the characterisations are excellent. I love Leonard and Michael Simkins was great as the annoying coroner Derek Jarvis. His character recurs in the stories - I wonder if he'll be back?

It looks good too - the prettiness of the village and Cambridge contrasting with the dingy kitchens and drab furnishings.

The humour is working well, too.:)

PS If you think these tales are light read the original stories.:o
  • Options
    nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved this week's episode!

They really have improved on the original stories and the characterisations are excellent. I love Leonard and Michael Simkins was great as the annoying coroner Derek Jarvis. His character recurs in the stories - I wonder if he'll be back?

It looks good too - the prettiness of the village and Cambridge contrasting with the dingy kitchens and drab furnishings.

The humour is working well, too.:)

PS If you think these tales are light read the original stories.:o

Ha ha. I was just thinking that I want to read the books now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nethwen wrote: »
    Ha ha. I was just thinking that I want to read the books now.

Some of them are good and others are somewhat.... odd.

I like this better than the books and I don't say that often! Have only read the first two - they're very cheap for Kindle.
  • Options
    eveningstareveningstar Posts: 19,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    I think she's a cow, actually. The scene in the church, where she didn't bother to hide her mocking laughter at the struggling curate, was unforgivably cruel. The behaviour of a spoilt, self regarding, local beauty uncaring of the feelings of anyone but herself. I suppose Syd is going to end up with her, but he'll eventually find her out.

Totally agree, every time Amanda is on I find myself muttering 'biatch' at the tv. Love the other main characters, and enjoying the series.
  • Options
    Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another watchable episode.

The "will they, won't they?" business with the vicar and Amanda, is just to maintain your interest, "everyone loves a happy ending."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Norton has been answering questions on Twitter

https://twitter.com/GrantchesterUK

Nice sense of humour and seems to have enjoyed playing the role (not that he'd say it was the worse job he'd ever had, would he....)
  • Options
    H of De VilH of De Vil Posts: 26,539
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better episode tonight, and next weeks looks good too. Unfortunatly the 1st two poor episodes will undoubtedly have cost this drama another series. Unless ITV can see its potential.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Totally agree, every time Amanda is on I find myself muttering 'biatch' at the tv. Love the other main characters, and enjoying the series.

I have disliked everyone named Amanda that I have ever met (or seen on the telly!) :D
  • Options
    PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    A bit pedantic of me I know but...The story tonight was interesting but something didn't add up about their ages. How old was Isobel meant to be? Her mother was 75 (it was on the death certificate) so even if Isobel was say, 45 , (rather a top end of a woman getting pregnant) her mother would have been 30 when she had her.

Yet Isobels father said something about having being a lad too young for responsibility when she was born. What at 30? Even if he were younger than Daisy it can't of been by much because he mentioned going to school with her and her sister. So as I said it seemed odd and annoying.

Yeah I know, I'm being picky. ;-):blush:

I am enjoying this in a lighthearted, don't have to think about it too much and it all looks pretty and authentic, kind of way though so...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have disliked everyone named Amanda that I have ever met (or seen on the telly!) :D

Yes, I can understand that and I bet you think if you've read some reports in the papers, a particular Amanda. has recently been "a bit of an arse" too.
  • Options
    Leicester_HunkLeicester_Hunk Posts: 18,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretzel wrote: »
    A bit pedantic of me I know but...The story tonight was interesting but something didn't add up about their ages. How old was Isobel meant to be? Her mother was 75 (it was on the death certificate) so even if Isobel was say, 45 , (rather a top end of a woman getting pregnant) her mother would have been 30 when she had her.

Yet Isobels father said something about having being a lad too young for responsibility when she was born. What at 30? Even if he were younger than Daisy it can't of been by much because he mentioned going to school with her and her sister. So as I said it seemed odd and annoying.

Yeah I know, I'm being picky. ;-):blush:

I am enjoying this in a lighthearted, don't have to think about it too much and it all looks pretty and authentic, kind of way though so...

Isobel looked really quite old to me, older than 45 so I was shocked when it was said that she was pregnant. I thought she was in her 50s. I don't know anything about the actress Lucy who played the part.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isobel looked really quite old to me, older than 45 so I was shocked when it was said that she was pregnant. I thought she was in her 50s. I don't know anything about the actress Lucy who played the part.

This show has a few inconsistencies, that are more amusing than important.

I noticed this week in the pub, behind the two main customers, as a bit of "set dressing" there was a customer with a pint in his hand with his elbow on top of the jukebox, "that couldn't have been there."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much better episode tonight, and next weeks looks good too. Unfortunatly the 1st two poor episodes will undoubtedly have cost this drama another series. Unless ITV can see its potential.

I'm not so sure. With +1 it's reaching 4.5 million in the overnights which is pretty much all any drama can do these days (apart from Downton and Cilla, which is increasingly looking like a mega, mega hit!).

The final figures will probably be quite go and with the overseas sales in mind (this is very much aimed at selling abroad while being made for the UK), it might well squeak a second series.

The word is that it gets better and better and next week it won't have drama competition in the 9pm slot. We'll see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consolidated figures for Grantchester

5.77m....................7.69m + 1.92m
    4.58m...................6.51m + 1.94m
    4.5m......................
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Consolidated figures for Grantchester

5.77m....................7.69m + 1.92m
    4.58m...................6.51m + 1.94m
    4.5m......................

That's very good. Only half a million behind Doctor Who.

It all depends on costs, but I can see this having enough legs for series 2. Especially with the characters bedding down nicely already. I certainly hope so.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's very good. Only half a million behind Doctor Who.

It all depends on costs, but I can see this having enough legs for series 2. Especially with the characters bedding down nicely already. I certainly hope so.

If ITV give it a 2nd series which is looking likely (unless it continues to drop) then I would have it on Sunday's at 8pm leading into another drama at 9pm.
  • Options
    Daisy_DukeDaisy_Duke Posts: 1,558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Norton has been answering questions on Twitter

https://twitter.com/GrantchesterUK

Nice sense of humour and seems to have enjoyed playing the role (not that he'd say it was the worse job he'd ever had, would he....)

He's a lovely young man. I really enjoy this programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I found that confusing. She looked a good 10 years older than I do and I definitely wouldn't consider a baby now.
  • Options
    Wench02Wench02 Posts: 2,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it. Whilst it may be a little slow, its easy watching and nice plot lines.

And I wish Sidney was my vicar... I'd definatly be in church more to drool over him!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Giving this another try, after a disappointing start.

I guess it says a lot that no-one has commented since the 23rd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really enjoying it.