30th Corrie Birthday

eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
Forum Member
✭✭✭
In 1984 I went to work in Saudi Arabia for 6 years so missed the majority of episodes of Corrie (just cathching a few on trips home).
In 1990, ITV celebrated 30 years with a Cilla show (Black not Battersby).
I was gobsmacked whenb Doris Speed appeared at the end as I thought she had died years back. She was still very agile (mentally) cutting Cilla short when she was telling her story.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OdaYQLU2vs

Comments

• MODTLMODTL Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting.
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MODTL wrote: »
    Thanks for posting.

Mrs Walker was an inspired character wonderfully played by Doris Speed. There she was, landlady of a backstreet boozer but with such airs and graces. I love the clip shown where Hilda offers advice.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the 30th birthday celebrations with cilla. Wasnt the whole cast sitting on a big sofa with a big 30 behind them?
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I remember the 30th Coronation St celebrations very well. I won a competition to go to the show hosted by Cilla.

It was amazing. We had a champagne reception, watched the show in seats directly facing all the Corrie cast and then went to the oficial party afterwards.

Doris Speed WAS there ans so was Jean Alexander.

we met most of the stars past and present and lots of others from different TV shows. It was an incredible night. i still have the invitaton and all the photos.

I can't believe its 20 years ago!! And funnily enough we nearly didn't get there because of snow!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Didnt Richard & Judy present an anniversary show too? I don't remember Liz Dawn having cropped hair like she does in that video!
  • eye3eye3 Posts: 2,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow..that was a cool competition prize
  • Cal2008Cal2008 Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr.Shanks wrote: »
    Didnt Richard & Judy present an anniversary show too? I don't remember Liz Dawn having cropped hair like she does in that video!

i think that was the 35th.
  • MollybeMollybe Posts: 674
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was brilliant. The mad thing is I didn't even know I was entering the competition. I heard the tail end of Richard & Judy one morning asking for people to write in about die-hard fans of CS, so I wrote asbout my Mum.

IOt was only when i received a phone call from the Corrie team that I realised it was for a competition and I had won.

It was black tie and the invite was really formal. It even said 'carraiges at midnight! I don't have one of those so had to use a cab!