Options

New Bathroom Cost

jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This is the question - basically how much - approx - would it cost to have a professional come into MIL's house, remove the bath and install a shower cubicle including hot water.

We don't want her to know anything about it incase she does not have the money to pay for it - we could help with a certain amount - so this is why we do not want anyone to come to the house as she will tell them to install it straight away.

We have no idea how much - not how many hundreds or thousands - hence the question.

Thanks you

Comments

• Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Take a pic of the bathroom (and any existing piping if you can get to it) and get the measurements, have a look at some shower cubicles yourself so you know what the prices are, then obtain some quotes from local installers. If you are, or if you know someone who is a member of Which? then visit the Members only Which? Local website where you can find member recommended installers in your area. You could take out a trial membership as well, which would give you access.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You will need to budget for new flooring throughout and new wall finishes where the bath has been removed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Approx £3000 for removal of old suite,ceiling plastered, floor to ceiling tiles, floor tiles, new P-shaped bath and shower, toilet and basin and about 7 days labour.
  • Options
    peonpeon Posts: 1,671
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    my costs in a smallish ensuite shower room recently were as follows

basin, toilet set - £600
    basin mixer tap - £200
    shower mixer - £400
    shower fixed rose head - £200
    shower tray 900 x 900 - £200
    shower recess frameless door - £650
    towel heater - £300
    illuminated mirror - £300
    tiles - £900
    light fitting - £60
    vent fan - £40
    joinery - £400
    plumbing - £500
    tiling - £700
    painting ceiling - £100
    electrical work - did myself

about £5,500 in total. i couldn't believe the price of tiles, i haven't tiled for some years, but they cost a fortune these days!
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    peon wrote: »

basin, toilet set - £600
    basin mixer tap - £200
    shower mixer - £400
    towel heater - £300
    tiles - £900
    light fitting - £60
    vent fan - £40
    joinery - £400
    plumbing - £500
    tiling - £700
    painting ceiling - £100

about £5,500 in total. i couldn't believe the price of tiles, i haven't tiled for some years, but they cost a fortune these days!

Wow, it didnt cost me that much for my kitchen!! Think I will leave the bathroom for a while :eek:
  • Options
    Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    It can be in the thousands depending on what you want done and who does it. Is your mil entitled to any help? I know my grandparents owned their bungalow and due to disability they had to rempve their bath and put a shower in but they did it by taking money off the bungalow to cover the costs. So to them it seemed free and their children dont mind losing a bit of inheritance if it meant they kept their independance.
  • Options
    SupratadSupratad Posts: 10,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Better the cash go to improving their lives than straight into the Inheritance tax coffers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

basin, toilet set - £600
    basin mixer tap - £200
    shower mixer - £400
    towel heater - £300
    tiles - £900
    light fitting - £60
    vent fan - £40
    joinery - £400
    plumbing - £500
    tiling - £700
    painting ceiling - £100

You obviously don't shop at B&Q and Wickes then......
    Towel heater for £300? Mine was £59.
    Tiling for my whole small bathroom was about £120
    Light fitting was £25
  • Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    what sort of shower? an electric or pump as it'll cost alot more and could be a pain having to route 10mm T&E to the bathroom where as a pump will just need a small spur which can probably be knicked from the next room

but things like this can go from perhaps a grand all in for a real cheapy to heart stopping with gold fitting and hand made italian tiles on the wall

probably best to spec it up on what you want and then go to places like screwfix to see how much it'll cost to give a rough idea

and don't forget the work that may be needed such as rerunning outflows, fuseboard upgrades if the current one can't handle the load and the fact that its gonna take a few days so there wheres she gonna go when nature calls etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    You obviously don't shop at B&Q and Wickes then......
    Towel heater for £300? Mine was £59.
    Tiling for my whole small bathroom was about £120
    Light fitting was £25

i was a bit indulgent with the en-suite. it had been so horrible for years because i never got round to doing it. the tiles were those huge oversized things at £25 per sq/m, the towel rail a designer anthracite one, designer mixer taps, walnut washstand etc.

soon adds up
  • Options
    evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Why not install a shower bath instead and have a gravity fed shower above the bath. That's what I did as part of my total refurb. It'll be a lot cheaper. I've dug out the prices that I paid and, bearing in mind that I had a plasterboard wall knocked down and extended the bathroom by 50% and put in a new dg window, the cost for the whole bathroom was £2850 19 months ago and I paid for the tiles which the builder fitted.

The shower bath which I chose was bought in the B&Q sale for half price, so £74.50 and B&Q Nile four-fold bath screen full price £80. I allowed the builder to fit his own gravity fed shower which was only a cheap one but it works just fine. The taps are matching chrome finished B&Q ones, the basin taps were £18 and the bath taps £22. One point, do not buy a towel rad or any other rad from B&Q as they have a dreadful fail rate, and the 10yr gtee is worthless.

If you have a new light fitting put in, make sure it is IP44 rated.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was a bit indulgent with the en-suite. it had been so horrible for years because i never got round to doing it. the tiles were those huge oversized things at £25 per sq/m, the towel rail a designer anthracite one, designer mixer taps, walnut washstand etc.

soon adds up

Thanks for clearing it up, bet it looks top notch :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mc wrote: »
    Thanks for clearing it up, bet it looks top notch :)

thanks, we think so. i'm certainly not in a rush to do it again soon, so let's hope it serves us a good few years to come. :D
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your help.
    The reason for the new bathroom is she can no longer get into the bath and needs to have a shower cubicle - she owns the property (ex council house) and we have looked into getting some kind of help but are getting nowhere.
    See if we can get her out of the house and get someone in to have a look but she won't go out in this rain!!!
  • Options
    QTC13QTC13 Posts: 3,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Thanks for your help.
    The reason for the new bathroom is she can no longer get into the bath and needs to have a shower cubicle - she owns the property (ex council house) and we have looked into getting some kind of help but are getting nowhere.
    See if we can get her out of the house and get someone in to have a look but she won't go out in this rain!!!

She's not that desperate for a shower then:o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A quick google and it brought this up:

The Home Improvement Trust

The Home Improvement Trust (HIT) helps elderly people repair, improve or adapt their homes to help them live safely and independently in their own homes.

HIT (a not for profit company) runs the Houseproud Scheme which works with local authorities and home improvement agencies across England, Scotland and Wales.

The local council will arrange for a case worker to visit and discuss the different options including funding the work through the Disabled Facilities Grant, a loan or from personal savings.

The Houseproud scheme is able to access loans to help pay for the work through Equity Release loans.

www.houseproud.org.uk