Peter Andre Upsetting The Locals In Malta

sconescone Posts: 14,850
Forum Member
✭✭
Locals in Malta are in uproar after singer Peter Andre was appointed cultural ambassador to the island’s capital city Valletta.

Still reeling from the honorary citizenship given to Latin pop star Enrique Iglesias, in 2008, residents branded this celebrity title “100 times worse.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/4788545/Maltese-cross-after-Peter-Andre-is-appointed-cultural-ambassador-of-capital-Valletta.html

Comments

• GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    That's so funny!
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr Andre will be promoting Valletta – for free – on his reality programme on ITV2 called My Life and he will be returning in summer to discuss possibility of “further collaboration”.

Anyone want to sign the petition

https://www.change.org/petitions/valletta-local-council-cancel-withdraw-peter-andre-s-valletta-cultural-ambassador-award?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition
    Peter Andre will be better showing off his teeth elsewhere.
    Peter Andre lowers the tone
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    scone wrote: »
    Mr Andre will be promoting Valletta – for free – on his reality programme on ITV2 called My Life and he will be returning in summer to discuss possibility of “further collaboration”.

Anyone want to sign the petition

https://www.change.org/petitions/valletta-local-council-cancel-withdraw-peter-andre-s-valletta-cultural-ambassador-award?utm_campaign=share_button_action_box&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=share_petition

I won't be signing but haha
    But Peter Andre... maaaannnn who came up with this idea. At least one could have got a proper singer like Bono from U2... jeeeeze
    :D

I will keep checking the comments on the article as I can see they may get pretty funny
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the town needs to drum up business and, if Mr Andre is featuring the place in his new show (new show?? has there been another one??! have so cut down on my trash telly these days) then maybe it's quids in all round for the little town.

Sounds like the town residents are being a bit snobbish because of who he is. Thing is, if the town needs tourists to survive and they aren't getting the numbers there atm then maybe this is the way to do it.

There's one thing being snobbish and being able to afford being a snob, different if they are being snobbish but can't afford NOT to get free publicity from someone on the telly, who will say nice things about the place.

At least this way they get free publicity for the place and they don't have to pay a penny for a tourist information tv placement :)

Good marketing ploy to me.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These Maltaese locals should thank their lucky stars that it wasn't The Pricey...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't you have to be cultured to even understand the role? What's next, Stig of The Dump and Oscar The Grouch in charge of waste disposal and environmental health?

"Malta, right... it's proper nice. Me mum loves it and my kids... my kids... they love it too, right, kids?"

*kids ignore their father and play with toys*

"Yeah, they love it mate. Proper honoured by this, I am and me mum's dead proud too. If only my brother could have lived to see the day...*

*looks into distance wistfully, tries to cry*

"Cut it off now. Please. I need a personal moment...", says the man who has a film crew follow him and his entire family around for money.

:p
  • NotaTypoNotaTypo Posts: 4,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor beautiful, historic, fascinating Valletta, stuck with a shallow , orange twonk as an ambassador! :(

Hideous decision by the council. I've been there twice and I know how gorgeous a city Valletta is and how lovely Malta is. If I hadn't been, Andre's endorsement of it would shove it to the bottom of my list of places to go.

Stick to vacuous monstrosities like Dubai!
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Cliff Richard was also the ambassador of culture there too, but has been ousted in favour of Andre
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    Now that Elton John has dad of the year sown up for the next 20 years I guess Peter needed another nice little earner?
    Asked whether the nomination would be of direct benefit to Valletta, Dingli said "yes, definitely.

"Valletta will feature prominently in his show on iTV which has an average viewership of 1.7 million viewers and a peak viewership of 1.9 million viewers.

We get the picture. ;)

Didn't his programme get into trouble in the past promoting a hotel or cruise?
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »
    Poor beautiful, historic, fascinating Valletta, stuck with a shallow , orange twonk as an ambassador! :(

Hideous decision by the council. I've been there twice and I know how gorgeous a city Valletta is and how lovely Malta is. If I hadn't been, Andre's endorsement of it would shove it to the bottom of my list of places to go.

^ This. Dubai is his perfect brand match. Sleazy, tacky, garish and soulless.
  • hunniebunhunniebun Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the days when he got 1.7 to 1.9 million viewers each week went long ago ! Someone must have fed some porky pies to the Mayor about how many people watch his show now!
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    How things have changed in Malta!
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Now that Elton John has dad of the year sown up for the next 20 years I guess Peter needed another nice little earner?

We get the picture. ;)

Didn't his programme get into trouble in the past promoting a hotel or cruise?

I think it was an airline.
  • phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    scone wrote: »

Still reeling from the honorary citizenship given to Latin pop star Enrique Iglesias, in 2008, residents branded this celebrity title “100 times worse.”

I think that may be an understatement :D
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,751
    Forum Member
    hunniebun wrote: »
    I think the days when he got 1.7 to 1.9 million viewers each week went long ago ! Someone must have fed some porky pies to the Mayor about how many people watch his show now!

From the ratings thread,
    21:00 - Peter Andre: My Life: 591k

From the moment I saw him simulating sex with Jordan it comfirmed he was a cultured man.
  • GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    Wait a minute... he won Best International male over there...?

Sounds like they only give it to someone that turns up. same with Father of the Year travellodge event...
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Poor old Pete - the ambassador nobody wants:

The reference to Andre's "show on iTV" - the unimaginatively titled reality programme 'My Life' - brings me to the second complaint. Andre may have become a household name following the release of his hit single Mysterious Girl, but that was in 1995. Since then, he has been more famous for the high-profile on-off romance with his former wife, the glamour model and tabloid mainstay Katie 'Jordan' Price, than for any contributions to pop music.

Embarrassmentage. :o:D
  • ValentinaVargasValentinaVargas Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Poor old Pete - the ambassador nobody wants:

The reference to Andre's "show on iTV" - the unimaginatively titled reality programme 'My Life' - brings me to the second complaint. Andre may have become a household name following the release of his hit single Mysterious Girl, but that was in 1995. Since then, he has been more famous for the high-profile on-off romance with his former wife, the glamour model and tabloid mainstay Katie 'Jordan' Price, than for any contributions to pop music.

Embarrassmentage. :o:D

So has someone changed their mind then, as Peter Andre has kept becoming Cultural Ambassador to Valletta rather quiet........

"It looks as though the Valletta Local Council - who "unanimously" approved the decision to nominate Andre - were keen to sweep the accolade under the carpet as soon as it was given. Does the fact that they seemed to be aware of the backlash such a decision would doubtlessly inspire make things better or worse?"
  • BeethovensPianoBeethovensPiano Posts: 11,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    60 minutes of product placement then - including Peter Andre himself.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Unbelievable. He's about as cultured as a petri dish of bacteria.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV SPECIAL

JOIN PETER ANDRE and his new hit show THE LOVE BOAT around Valletta singing dancing and talking about his kids and brother what more do you need?

Watch peter andre find locals in Valletta and invite them on his boat to find love...like he has found with EMILY!

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give them a chav from TOWIE, then they'll have something to complain about. Ingrates.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NotaTypo wrote: »

Ditto.

I really thought that Malta considered itself to be more upmarket than the Costas.

Why on earth does anyone consider this laughable has-been to be any kind of cultural ambassador to the island’s capital city Valletta? :confused:

He's an abomination.;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just when I think he has nothing left for me to laugh at:D:D
  • Scarlett O HaraScarlett O Hara Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    It's things like this which make me despair of the way society is going.

Whatever numpty who gave PA - who seems to resemble an overgrown two-year-old at the best of times - this position has just insulted every vaguely intelligent human being on the planet. Shameful.