Bird Crap on Car

TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
Forum Member
Hi All. I got my car cleaned this afternoon (it was absolutely filthy!) I then went shopping the hand car wash, and returned to the shopping centre car park to find a bird or birds had used my car as target practice! The birds managed to get the bonet, windscreen, roof and rear windscreen :mad:

I was a little annoyed, but thought I would just drive home and clean off the bird mess with some multi purpose spray and kitchen towel. This seems to have cleaned off the white splodges, but I now seem to have been left with marks where the bird mess was. On the black paint it looks a little like when oil settles on water. I have tried rubbing it, but to no avail.

Is the paintwork damaged for good now, or is there anything I can use to clear off these marks? I wouldnt mind so much if the bird had got one piece of the car, but they got the whole bloody thing!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The birds probably thought your car looked a little too clean :p

I can see it now....birds flying in formation, approaching target, bombs away! Job well done boys, back to the nest! :p
  • oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    prankz wrote: »
    The birds probably thought your car looked a little too clean :p

I can see it now....birds flying in formation, approaching target, bombs away! Job well done boys, back to the nest! :p

That's really helpful to the OP. :rolleyes:
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    I guess I saw that coming with the way I told the story.

Any cleaning tips guys and girls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why don't hose the car down? Do you have a jet wash? Car shampoo?
  • TheCableGuyTheCableGuy Posts: 5,602
    Forum Member
    Why don't hose the car down? Do you have a jet wash? Car shampoo?

I might have to give this a go tomorrow. Don't have any cleaning stuff myself - I always take the car to the hand car wash round the corner. Will have to pay a visit to Tesco or Halfords.
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats called luck my dear having birds poo on your car multiple times
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get bird crap wipes from Halfords. Saves washing the entire car again...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scoobyju1 wrote: »
    You can get bird crap wipes from Halfords. Saves washing the entire car again...
    You serious? Someone actually invented bird crap wipes?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You serious? Someone actually invented bird crap wipes?

Why? Do you think it's a hilarious joke like you made earlier?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darcy_ wrote: »
    Why? Do you think it's a hilarious joke like you made earlier?
    Never knew a product like that existed.

So, what's your problem this evening?
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    I dont have a car so this is of no help, but the other day my boyfriend came in with the dog after just taken him for a walk. A bird pood on the dog and it had splattered in four different places on his back. Took ages to get it all off!

The wipes do sound like a good idea though as i suppose they wont damage the paintwork.
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At this time of year my car is regularly crapped on by the rooks that nest nearby, and the only effective method I've found is simply to wash the droppings off with water. Some are easy to wipe off, but some seem to set hard and they're more of a challenge; I doubt if a bird dropping wipe would be much good against them. However, if the droppings are allowed to remain they do seem to affect the surface of the paint, so it's as well to deal with them as soon as possible, boring though it is.
  • LilyAnna80LilyAnna80 Posts: 3,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the bird poo wipes don't work, you may have try T Cut and a polish
  • AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used get bird crap inside mine..but that was when I was ferrying a budgie around :)
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find that a generous spray of hot water from a garden mister bottle usually does the trick. One of the problems with bird crap is all the little bits of gritty substance in it, when I've attempted to wipe it in the past it has left scratches. :(
  • benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came back from holiday on Saturday to a dead Starling in my lounge. It had fallen down the chimney whilst attempting to build a nest. There was a lot of bird crap and broken ornaments. Poor thing. :cry:
    Not helpful to your predicament but thought I would share bird crap story.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would NEVER used household cleaner on car paintwork. Use either plain water, or a car shampoo. To get rid of stuck on bird poo, all you need is plenty hot water and NEVER try to scrape or rub it off - just keep adding water.

Give your car a really good waxing and you'd be amazed how easy bird poo then comes off. I use Showroom Shine and bird poo just comes off with a water spray.
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Use a clay bar - I got some from valetpro a while ago.
  • burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Q: What do you do if a bird craps on your car?

A: Finish with her!
  • oatstieoatstie Posts: 562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This forum is for advice, not for telling dud jokes. :mad::rolleyes:
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Brilliant!!! My car looked beautiful yesterday all shiny and new, today its covered in bird crap :mad:

Bird poo wipes are on my to buy list.
  • Pepperoni ManPepperoni Man Posts: 7,798
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    Brilliant!!! My car looked beautiful yesterday all shiny and new, today its covered in bird crap :mad:

Bird poo wipes are on my to buy list.

They're easy to use and come in individual sachets - they get rid of the stuff without having to wipe hard and risk damaging the paintwork
  • JRTCJRTC Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't have thought it would have damaged your paintwork in that time period unless the bird had been drinking acid! Usually if you leave it on for Weeks then it may damage it, but a day or so should be fine. As grumpyscot posted above, don't use chemicals or rub it as it will just scratch more.

What I do is scrunch some tissue up, run it under the tap so it's wet, and then put the tissue over the bird sh!te and leave it for 10 mins or so. The water will soften it and it should then either rinse off or wipe off with a soft cloth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if a bird craps on yer car.....dont ask her out again