Midnight Entity

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
Forum Member
Just re watched Midnight and i was wondering what everyone's theory is on the "entity". I always hoped it was The Master finding a body but i guess that isnt likely now. Does everyone think it was something new or something else?

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Something old. Something new. Either way we will hopefully never ever ever find out. If there's one episode of Doctor Who that doesn't need a sequel it's 'Midnight'because it would entirely miss the point of what made it so good in the first place.

We live in a time that's saturated with prequels and sequels and backstories and expanding and fleshing out things and stories and characters that never asked for it in the first place.

Hopefully this trend will stop soon enough.
  • Daniel DareDaniel Dare Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Something old. Something new. Either way we will hopefully never ever ever find out. If there's one episode of Doctor Who that doesn't need a sequel it's 'Midnight'because it would entirely miss the point of what made it so good in the first place.

We live in a time that's saturated with prequels and sequels and backstories and expanding and fleshing out things and stories and characters that never asked for it in the first place.

Hopefully this trend will stop soon enough.

Here, here.

Besides, 'Midnight is just a weak story with people repeating and talking over each other'*
    [WHOOSH!]

*copyright DB
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    Although I wouldn't want it to be actually explained or specified, I quite like the idea that the creature/being in Midnight was the same illusive "creature" that was encountered in Listen. Not the exact same one, but one of an illusive species that defies all the senses, and all depiction.

Listen is best left ambiguous but I rather like the idea that whatever it was that The Doctor faced at the end of the universe was just like what he encountered on Midnight. It took him over two milennia just to have two encounters with these mysterious, unknown beings...such is their illusiveness, unpredictability and lack of clear motive or purpose.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Although I wouldn't want it to be actually explained or specified, I quite like the idea that the creature/being in Midnight was the same illusive "creature" that was encountered in Listen.

I don't think the creature in Midnight was imagined, like the one in Listen. It might had been interesting if it turned out there was no creature, that the behaviour of the passengers was down to paranoia and mass delusion, but they went out of their way to avoid that.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    I don't think the creature in Midnight was imagined, like the one in Listen. It might had been interesting if it turned out there was no creature, that the behaviour of the passengers was down to paranoia and mass delusion, but they went out of their way to avoid that.

How can you say fact that the creature in listen was imagined when the point of that episode was that there either was an entity or there wasn't. It was left ambiguous purposely so we didn't know for sure.

Regarding midnight, all I have to say is that it is one of those 'smaller' stories that I really enjoy and a testament to the fact that you don't always need a big budget or flashy effects to create a great episode, as long as you've got quality writing.
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    How can you say fact that the creature in listen was imagined when the point of that episode was that there either was an entity or there wasn't. It was left ambiguous purposely so we didn't know for sure.
    It was written so that there are two interpretations to every incident. But there was never a single bit of evidence of any alien presence. And the episode goes out of its way to say that the constant companion that the Doctor imagines is fear:
    (He shows her the blackboard with the word he didn't write.)
    CLARA: It looks like your handwriting.
    DOCTOR: Well, I couldn't have written it and forgotten, could I?
    CLARA: Have you met you?
    DOCTOR: Now, there are two possibilities. Possibility one, it's just one of your friends standing there, and he's playing a joke on you. Possibility two, it isn't.
    [...]
    CLARA: So is it possible we've just saved that kid from another kid in a bedspread?
    DOCTOR: Entirely possible, yes.
    (The capsule creaks. Words appear on the main hatch - Do Not Open The Door.)
    CLARA: Where did that come from?
    DOCTOR: It's always been there. It's only visible in the night lights.
    CLARA: But who wrote it?
    DOCTOR: Colonel Pink. Apparently, at night, he needs a reminder. Six months stranded alone, I suppose it must be tempting.
    CLARA: What is?
    DOCTOR: Company.
    [...]
    DOCTOR: Well, the systems are switching to low power. There are temperature differentials all over this ship. It's like pipes banging when the heating goes off.
    CLARA: Always thought there was something in the pipes.
    DOCTOR: Me, too.
    [...]
    (What sounds like a scream makes them jump.)
    DOCTOR: Atmospheric pressure equalising
    CLARA: Or?
    DOCTOR: Company.
    [...]
    (Bang, bang, bang.)
    CLARA: What's that?
    DOCTOR: Potentially, the hull cooling.
    CLARA: Potentially?
    DOCTOR: Believably.
    [...]
    (Bang, bang, bang. Bang, bang, bang. The Doctor sonicks the hatch to Unlocked. The mechanism starts to turn.)
    CLARA: That's you turning it, right?
    [...]
    DOCTOR: It's a pressure lock. Releasing it could've triggered the opening mechanism.
    [...]
    CLARA: Is he okay?
    ORSON: He's out cold. He'll be fine, though.
    CLARA: Something hit him.
    ORSON: Everything was flying out of that door.
    CLARA: Could've been that.
    ORSON: Yeah.
    CLARA: What if there was nothing? What if there never was anything? Nothing under the bed, nothing at the door. What if the big bad Time Lord doesn't want to admit he's just afraid of the dark?
    [...]
    CLARA: It doesn't matter if there's nothing under the bed or in the dark, so long as you know it's okay to be afraid of it.
    [...]
    CLARA: You're always going to be afraid, even if you learn to hide it. Fear is like a companion. A constant companion, always there. But that's okay, because fear can bring us together.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    It was written so that there are two interpretations to every incident. But there was never a single bit of evidence of any alien presence. And the episode goes out of its way to say that the constant companion that the Doctor imagines is fear:

Exactly, two interpretations to every incident. There was no concrete evidence of any alien presence because that would have ruined the ambigious theme they were going for but at the same time there is enough to suggest that there might be a creature and the episode at no point show's any concrete evidence that it was all imaginary because to do so would again have ruined the episode.

You can no more definitely say the creature is imaginary than someone who thought it was really could claim it was definitely real. You might have the opinion/perception that it is imaginary but it's just your opinion as the episode purposely doesn't give you enough information to know one way or the other.