migrants

Comments

• anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Electra wrote: »
    Not sure how accurate these figures are but it seems that Syrian refugees are very much in the minority. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong :blush:

Many then head north through the western Balkans, bound for Hungary, where about 145,000 migrants have been detained already this year, more than triple the figure recorded in all of 2014.

<snip>

The government says about 40,000 of the migrants, who mostly travel without passports to complicate deportation, have identified themselves as Syrian fleeing the four-year civil war there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3216818/Cars-queuing-12-miles-Austrian-border-tighter-controls-migrants-flood-eastern-Europe-despite-completion-13-foot-fence-razor-wire.html

If this is true, then maybe there should be more effort to weed out the economic migrants, so the genuine refugees could be more easily helped.

The majority of Syrian refugees are in neighbouring countries, but I take any DM statistics with a pinch of salt. Yes, everyone should be detained at the points of entry. Funded and assisted by a coordinated EU/UN response. Economic migrants should be sent back and genuine asylum seekers sent to properly funded refugee camps in neighbouring countries, which the UN want to initiate ASAP, as this crisis worsens. UNCHR are well trained in establishing a persons nationality. I prefer to go with organisations who actually know what they're doing and who's experience and work it is to carry it all out.. The EU aren't listening or prepared to do anything to assist even their member states. In the meantime vast sums of money are being wasted trying to manage complete chaos, which should be used where it's needed. When people know they can't stay in Europe it will put the majority off trying and dying to get here. The people traffickers including IS will be out out of business. If EU countries want to take refugees they would do so, from existing camps.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    calico_pie wrote: »
    We have Muslims living in our street.
    The seem peaceful enough.
    Should we be worried they will murder us in the night, what with their religion demanding that Infidels die thing and all?
    There are over 3m Muslims living in the UK.
    Do you have any figures on how many of them have murdered Infidels in the UK, as demanded by their religion?
    If its a lot, why don't we hear more about it?
    its not very many, does this mean they are just not very good at following their religion?
    It's a mistake to minimise the dangers posed by Islam. I don't suppose many are planning to murder in the night - the Islamists prefer larger scale massacres. You do remember the London bombings and all the plots and conspiracies since? Most Muslims, of course, aren't involved directly, but how many support the terrorists indirectly by funding them or by spreading the tenets of Isis? How many listen to hate preachers on the topics of the wicked west and its immorality compared to their own virtuous citizens and agree wholeheartedly? We've seen them protesting against democracy, against Jews;
    we hear their calls for sharia law; they embarrass Britain by making womem dress like great black bats to prove their virtue - the concept of equality seems to have passed them
    by. And in the background there is the list of world wide atrocities, endless atrocities, the bombings, the hostage murders, the taking over of unstable states. It is not to be wondered at that many have a negative view of Islam and question the wisdom of allowing huge numbers of them into Europe.
    Chillingly,Isis has called for attacks on schools, hospitals and libraries. Guarantee me that there are no terrorists among all those people forcing their way into Europe. It only takes a handful to make it here and those attacks will happen. Perhaps the Butcher Boys are already here
  • ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    anne_666 wrote: »
    Yes, everyone should be detained at the points of entry. Funded and assisted by a coordinated EU/UN response. Economic migrants should be sent back and genuine asylum seekers sent to properly funded refugee camps in neighbouring countries, which the UN want to initiate ASAP, as this crisis worsens. UNCHR are well trained in establishing a persons nationality. I prefer to go with organisations who actually know what they're doing and who's experience and work it is to carry it all out.. The EU aren't listening or prepared to do anything to assist even their member states. In the meantime vast sums of money are being wasted trying to manage complete chaos, which should be used where it's needed. When people know they can't stay in Europe it will put the majority off trying and dying to get here. The people traffickers including IS will be out out of business. If EU countries want to take refugees they would do so, from existing camps.

I completely agree with you. Tbh, I feel that genuine refugees are suffering unnecessarily, because traffickers & economic migrants are taking advantage of the chaos.

We absolutely have to make the refugees our priority. No question about it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I completely agree with you. Tbh, I feel that genuine refugees are suffering unnecessarily, because traffickers & economic migrants are taking advantage of the chaos.

We absolutely have to make the refugees our priority. No question about it.

Yes they are suffering dreadfully. Everything possible has to be humanely done to deter anyone from trying to get to Europe and get them away from destabilised and IS influenced countries like Lybia too. All we are doing is playing right into the hands of IS and all people traffickers and stirring up right wing toxicity by allowing this desperate chaos to carry on.
    The UN are there to help all refugees, in the correct manner. Until the overpaid and underworked EU bureaucrats wake up, this will continue.
    Forum Member
    Yes they are suffering dreadfully. Everything possible has to be humanely done to deter anyone from trying to get to Europe and get them away from destabilised and IS influenced countries like Lybia too. All we are doing is playing right into the hands of IS and all people traffickers and stirring up right wing toxicity by allowing this desperate chaos to carry on.
    The UN are there to help all refugees, in the correct manner. Until the overpaid and underworked EU bureaucrats wake up, this will continue.

I'm starting to wonder if the UN has some sort of vested interest in destabilising Europe.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    Not sure how accurate these figures are but it seems that Syrian refugees are very much in the minority. Or maybe I'm reading it wrong :blush:

Many then head north through the western Balkans, bound for Hungary, where about 145,000 migrants have been detained already this year, more than triple the figure recorded in all of 2014.

<snip>

The government says about 40,000 of the migrants, who mostly travel without passports to complicate deportation, have identified themselves as Syrian fleeing the four-year civil war there.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3216818/Cars-queuing-12-miles-Austrian-border-tighter-controls-migrants-flood-eastern-Europe-despite-completion-13-foot-fence-razor-wire.html

If this is true, then maybe there should be more effort to weed out the economic migrants, so the genuine refugees could be more easily helped.

And others are from Afghanistan and Iraq and Kosovo - also fleeing conflict and extremist groups like the Taliban.

I agree that assessment is essential, but Syrians are not the only genuine refugees.
  • jesayajesaya Posts: 35,597
    Forum Member
    I'm starting to wonder if the UN has some sort of vested interest in destabilising Europe.

Why? EU countries are part of the UN. The UNHCR is just frustrated that they are supporting the vast majority of refugees and IDPs in neighbouring countries and struggling because they have a massive funding gap. If Europe want to stop this problem then they need to help more than they are - but they are throwing their hands up going 'not us; not us'.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,566
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    It's a mistake to minimise the dangers posed by Islam.
    It's also a mistake to overstate them. Most Muslims here are not calling for sharia law or protesting against democracy, and most Muslim women don't wear burqas.
  • JakobjoeJakobjoe Posts: 8,235
    Forum Member
    the eu have called a crisis meeting about these migrants in .... 2 weeks time...how about now ......today... they might even come up with a proposal in a year or so.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's also a mistake to overstate them. Most Muslims here are not calling for sharia law or protesting against democracy, and most Muslim women don't wear burqas.

Which dangers in islam have been overstated?
  • dekafdekaf Posts: 8,398
    Forum Member

Most actually do. 60% in fact. Please read. (From Wikiislam).

United Kingdom[edit]
    More than 60 percent of British Muslims want Shari'ah law in the UK

The special poll [conducted by the Guardian/ICM organisations] based on a survey of 500 British Muslims found that a clear majority want Islamic law introduced into this country in civil cases relating to their own community. Some 61 per cent wanted Islamic courts - operating on sharia principles – "so long as the penalties did not contravene British law"[46]
    October 2006
    1 out of 3 British Muslims aged 16 to 24 believe that Muslim apostates should be executed.

In the survey of 1,003 Muslims by the polling company Populus through internet and telephone questionnaires, nearly 60% said they would prefer to live under British law, while 37% of 16 to 24-year-olds said they would prefer sharia law, against 17% of those over 55. Eighty-six per cent said their religion was the most important thing in their lives.

Nearly a third of 16 to 24-year-olds believed that those converting to another religion should be executed, while less than a fifth of those over 55 believed the same. The survey claimed that British authorities and some Muslim groups have exaggerated the problem of Islamophobia and fuelled a sense of victimhood among some Muslims: 84% said they believed they had been well treated in British society, though only 28% thought the authorities had gone over the top in trying not to offend Muslims.[47]
    January 2007
    Four out of 10 British Muslims want sharia law introduced into parts of the country, a survey reveals today.
    The ICM opinion poll also indicates that a fifth have sympathy with the "feelings and motives" of the suicide bombers who attacked London last July 7, killing 52 people, although 99 per cent thought the bombers were wrong to carry out the atrocity.
    . . .
    The most startling finding is the high level of support for applying sharia law in "predominantly Muslim" areas of Britain.

Forty per cent of the British Muslims surveyed said they backed introducing sharia in parts of Britain, while 41 per cent opposed it. Twenty per cent felt sympathy with the July 7 bombers' motives, and 75 per cent did not. One per cent felt the attacks were "right".

Nearly two thirds thought the video images shown last week of British troops beating Iraqi youths were symptomatic of a wider problem in Iraq. Half did not think the soldiers would be "appropriately punished".

Half of the 500 people surveyed said relations between white Britons and Muslims were getting worse. Only just over half thought the conviction of the cleric Abu Hamza for incitement to murder and race hatred was fair.[48]
    February 2006
    At least 85 Islamic sharia courts are operating in Britain, a study claimed yesterday. The astonishing figure is 17 times higher than previously accepted
    . . .
    However, they operate behind doors that are closed to independent observers and their decisions are likely to be unfair to women and backed by intimidation, a report by independent think-tank Civitas said.[49]
    June 2009
    32% of British Muslim students support killing for Islam; 40% want Shari'ah Law

According to a new survey done at 30 universities in Britain, the young Muslim student body in that country is extremely radicalized. The poll asked 600 Muslim students and 800 of their non-Muslim peers about politically touchy subjects like killing in the name of Islam and Sharia Law—and the results were like night and day between the two demographics. While hardly anyone in the non-Muslim sample accepted killing in the name of religion, basically one-third of all Muslim students in Britain supported this.
    . . .
    In an ironic twist, this survey and its shocking poll results were made available only through the Wikileaks leaking of Julian Assange. The poll was revealed as part of a secret, diplomatic cable that emerged from the US Embassy in London.

Other results in the pro-Islamist survey results are also troublesome. For instance, more than half of all British Muslim students insist on being represented by a political party that is Islam-based. The clear-cut, overwhelming theme in this poll data from this leaked cable relates to the fact that many Muslims even in so-called civilized countries like Britain still want to relapse to the Middle Ages (or earlier, even) by making Islam central in all aspects of their true-believing lives.[50
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JessTheCat wrote: »
    I agree that only a minority don't like us - particularly the old woman a few doors away from me, she absolutely hates me and makes sure I know it!

Anyway, my point is that it's not those that obviously hate Westerners that are the problem. One of my closest friends is a British born Muslim lady, we've been friends for over 20 years, she's very liberal, doesn't cover her head, listens to Western music, watches soaps, movies etc, well educated, generous, lovely. But, and this is what troubles me, she will not permit any of her 3 children to marry out of the religion or out of the nationality. She and her husband are Bangladeshi and will only consider Bangladeshi Muslims as acceptable partners for their children. If they married someone White or Black, even if they were Muslim, that would be unacceptable. Should one of her sons be Gay he would be disowned immediately.

This is what worries me, not only with Muslims but with many groups, the lack of any intention to integrate which is passed on to the children. It will, eventually, change but I think it could take a long time, maybe too long.

We might disagree, but that's more a cultural thing, than, say, wanting to behead all the Infidels.

I think like a lot of things, these sorts of things will change over time when older generations gradually pass away. Let's hope so anyway.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which dangers in islam have been overstated?

The danger that all practicing Muslims must go around killing infidels in the name of Islam.
    Forum Member
    jesaya wrote: »
    And others are from Afghanistan and Iraq and Kosovo - also fleeing conflict and extremist groups like the Taliban.

I agree that assessment is essential, but Syrians are not the only genuine refugees.

I know but we can't save the whole world.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a mistake to minimise the dangers posed by Islam. I don't suppose many are planning to murder in the night - the Islamists prefer larger scale massacres. You do remember the London bombings and all the plots and conspiracies since? Most Muslims, of course, aren't involved directly, but how many support the terrorists indirectly by funding them or by spreading the tenets of Isis? How many listen to hate preachers on the topics of the wicked west and its immorality compared to their own virtuous citizens and agree wholeheartedly? We've seen them protesting against democracy, against Jews;
    we hear their calls for sharia law; they embarrass Britain by making womem dress like great black bats to prove their virtue - the concept of equality seems to have passed them
    by. And in the background there is the list of world wide atrocities, endless atrocities, the bombings, the hostage murders, the taking over of unstable states. It is not to be wondered at that many have a negative view of Islam and question the wisdom of allowing huge numbers of them into Europe.
    Chillingly,Isis has called for attacks on schools, hospitals and libraries. Guarantee me that there are no terrorists among all those people forcing their way into Europe. It only takes a handful to make it here and those attacks will happen. Perhaps the Butcher Boys are already here

Yes, of course I remember the bombings in London.

But they were carried out by Islamic Terrorists.

Ordinary Muslims are not going around bombing or beheading non Muslims.

The Sharia Law stuff that gets bandies about is largely a scare mothering red herring. When Muslims in the UK say they are in favour of Sharia Law the vast majority are referring to civil matters within their own community. A bit like the Jewish community already has.

They certainly don't mean turning the UK into a strict Islamic state with beheadings, stonings, and Sharia Law being imposed on everyone.

As for guaranteeing would be terrorists get to the UK, that's a red herring too. We could ban immigration tomorrow, but unless we sealed ourselves off from the rest of the world, what's to stop a would be terrorist flying in on a scheduled flight to Heathrow?
    Forum Member
    We might disagree, but that's more a cultural thing, than, say, wanting to behead all the Infidels.

I think like a lot of things, these sorts of things will change over time when older generations gradually pass away. Let's hope so anyway.

The older generations aren't the problem. It's their kids & grandkids who are getting radicalised. The earlier generations seemed to integrate just fine.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why?..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jakobjoe wrote: »
    the eu have called a crisis meeting about these migrants in .... 2 weeks time...how about now ......today... they might even come up with a proposal in a year or so.

They'll need to get back into the swing of work after too many weeks holiday?

http://www.europarl.org.uk/en/media/news/uknews2014/aug14/calendar.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The older generations aren't the problem. It's their kids & grandkids who are getting radicalised. The earlier generations seemed to integrate just fine.

My experience in my City of the Muslims I know, is the younger generations are far more westernised than first generation Muslims and love the way of life they've grown up with.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    The danger that all practicing Muslims must go around killing infidels in the name of Islam.
    That's muslims though not islam itself..
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't know how many of these protesters there are but they are certainly very loud and very obnoxious. In Germany they were chanting 'Jews to the gas'. and that was a very big march; in Malmo migrants are chucking hand grenades at one another, replaying the wars they left at home. In France they're on the attack., It only takes a handful to cause carnage
    Forum Member
    Why?..

I wasn't being entirely serious but their lack of action is somewhat perplexing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know how many of these protesters there are but they are certainly very loud and very obnoxious. In Germany they were chanting 'Jews to the gas'. and that was a very big march; in Malmo migrants are chucking hand grenades at one another, replaying the wars they left at home. In France they're on the attack., It only takes a handful to cause carnage

Doesn't it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kf5T_t7hDKY
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never assume a conspiracy where incompetence would produce the same results.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't being entirely serious but their lack of action is somewhat perplexing.

Yes and frustrating, disgraceful etc. etc. etc. They can't even manage to help their member states who are totally unable to cope, their immigration policy is an unworkable sick joke, so I'm not holding my breath on anything constructive happening. I'd like my annual contribution to this shower refunded until they pull their collective fingers out of the overstuffed pie.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/apr/20/mediterranean-migrant-crisis-no-european-migration-policy

European” immigration policy is a mess, a patchwork of 28 hugely varying national systems constrained by national politics, shaped by culture and history. The big British and French ethnic minorities stem from the hangovers of empire. German multiculturalism derives from the foreign labour force, mainly Turkish, brought in to power the “economic miracle” of the 1960s. The newer EU countries of eastern Europe were, until a generation ago, closed societies behind the iron curtain with no experience of mass migration except the flight of their native populations from Russian occupation. They have continued to export their own people to western Europe since the first joined the EU in 2004.

Estonia had 155 asylum applications last year, according to EU figures. Germany had more than 200,000, almost a third of the asylum claims lodged in the EU (626,000 and nearly 200,000 up on the year before).

Between them, seven countries – or one-quarter of the EU – fielded more than three-quarters of asylum applications. Most fail. But although 425,000 claims were denied in 2013, less than 40% of those failures resulted in deportation.
This discussion has been closed.