Options

Lowest Album Sales of the 21st Century

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.musicweek.com/story.asp?sectioncode=1&storycode=1049160&c=1
Overall album sales are 27.62% down week-on-week at 1,446,218 – that is 23.19% below same week 2011 sales of 1,882,878, and lower than in any of the 640 previous weeks that have elapsed in the 21st century.

The sales for the top 5 albums:
1 Adele 22,235
2 Nicki Minaj 18,981
3 Alabama Shakes 15,703
4 Jessie J 14,171
5 Emeli Sande 12,719

Not good. Album sales have been down a lot this year but this is a new low. I suppose a lot of people might have been on holiday over Easter which could explain some of it but it's still a massive drop. At least singles are still selling well...

[news]Album weekly sales hit lowest point in 21st century[/news]

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find sales during the first few months of a new year are never much to applaud about. It's usually autumn/winter when the high sales kick into gear.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find sales during the first few months of a new year are never much to applaud about. It's usually autumn/winter when the high sales kick into gear.

That's true, but sales are almost 25% down compared to the same week last year and the lowest they've been in any week for at least 12 years. Might be a bit more than just seasonal variation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Artists need to do more to promote albums and less promoting singles.
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't believe people are still buying Adele. Surely there can't be many people left who buy albums who haven't already got it :confused:
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    She has a copy in approx 17% of all UK households so plenty of sales to go for yet, lol.
  • Options
    RaptureRiderRaptureRider Posts: 1,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The low sales figures would explain why she managed to return back to #1 on Sunday. I did wonder when I checked out the Radio 1 website yesterday.
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't think of any new album that I've bought this year, just re-mastered re-issues.

Have all the good artists take a sabbatical at the same time?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Ilegal downloading is destroying the music industry.
  • Options
    minikievsminikievs Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I Owns It! wrote: »
    Ilegal downloading is destroying the music industry.

Its not its just alot of crap is out these days thats why 21 million people have bought Adeles album because its a good album and doesn't sing about how she would like to **** someone :rolleyes:

Even though it sold only 22k this week just goes to prove that
  • Options
    Forum Member
    minikievs wrote: »
    Its not its just alot of crap is out these days thats why 21 million people have bought Adeles album because its a good album and doesn't sing about how she would like to **** someone :rolleyes:

Even though it sold only 22k this week just goes to prove that

Emile Sande has produced a great record and isn't selling even half of what Adele is.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Emile Sande has produced a great record and isn't selling even half of what Adele is.

It's all about capturing the public's imagination, I guess. Adele clearly has, Emeli and the others not so much but she's still selling very well (#2 on the UK YTD list). And I do find it weird that her first name is actually Adele :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    minikievs wrote: »

I think she's sold 21 million because of the hype around the album. After a few months it sort of became a "well if it's done so well and won so many awards then I must check it out" type purchase, imo. It's a good album but severely over rated. Everyone seems to think Adele is the only one who has released a decent album recently when actually there are plenty other brilliant albums that aren't getting anywhere near as much attention. It's almost like people are just buying 21 out of default since everything else is ignored by the media.
  • Options
    minikievsminikievs Posts: 249
    Forum Member

True there are a few good records out there i just meant a lot are crap :( IMO
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Shadow2009 wrote: »
    I think she's sold 21 million because of the hype around the album. After a few months it sort of became a "well if it's done so well and won so many awards then I must check it out" type purchase, imo. It's a good album but severely over rated. Everyone seems to think Adele is the only one who has released a decent album recently when actually there are plenty other brilliant albums that aren't getting anywhere near as much attention. It's almost like people are just buying 21 out of default since everything else is ignored by the media.

Hype can certainly sell an album..... but only for a short period if it doesn't actually connect with the public. I think '21' is a classic case of 'word of mouth' selling. It's not like Adele is whoring herself out on any show going in order to get these sales, the last time she actually appeared singing on TV was almost 2 months ago.
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people I know just download individual tracks that they really like and rarely buy a complete album.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 844
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nobody released an album recently with any promo or anything.

If Madonna's album had been less awful, maybe it would've helped to not give last week the statistic of lowest sales. But It's not down to one person, it's because nobody has really released anything in that week - which is a shame because it'd be an easy number 1 album for them lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nobody released an album recently with any promo or anything.

If Madonna's album had been less awful, maybe it would've helped to not give last week the statistic of lowest sales. But It's not down to one person, it's because nobody has really released anything in that week - which is a shame because it'd be an easy number 1 album for them lol.

Madonna's album is actually great. Many critics have listed it in her top tier. Its suffered from not having the correct promo and a wrong single choice. Many don't even know her album is out. That said its still managed to shift over 1 million copies in a few weeks. Its officially the biggest selling new release this year so far. Then of course if you factor in all album sales are way lower than normal for this time of year, not just in this country but America too, you can see the sales problems are way more wide spread than one chart.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member

This. There are loads of great albums, but the media don't hype them up in the same way.
  • Options
    Lovely LadyLovely Lady Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    Does it matter if Adele's sales are down when you consider what a global success she is? Anyway, surely everyone and their grandmother has a copy of 21 by this point. :p

I can't believe anyone would be disappointed in the slightest by 21 slowing down in terms of sales at this point. She's hogged the top spots for ages now - let someone else have a go! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,003
    Forum Member
    Illegal downloading clearly is drastically weakening sales. It's not a coincidence that albums increasingly sold less as the internet became more widespread. I don't buy for a second that it has much to do with quality, that's giving the general music buying public far too much credit. Taste now appears no more sophisticated than it was 10 years ago.

Every now and then we see a stand out album, but selling 10-15 or even 20 million, could only be half the sales the respective albums may have shifted otherwise. Perhaps even less. The success of Adele in particular demonstrates the sales you could achieve from crossing demographics - from young pop fans to grandparents - but I think it's a mistake to use her success as an indicator of what "good music" can sell and how "quality" transcends illegal downloading. 21's sales are so huge because typically Top 40 oblivious (and likely non-illegal downloading) people bought it, not because it was just so brilliant it convinced people to not illegally download it.

I'm waiting for one of the big artists to experiment with how albums are distributed. I think it could be interesting to offer the album for free, using a legal download link from their website (potentially sponsored, to generate revenue). The aim of the game would be to attract all those who illegally download in addition to those who would have bought it, using a counter to calculate the digital units downloaded in total. They would lose out on sales, but they'd also have a more accurate indicator of their audience. The increased exposure would aid ticket sales, with the free album as added incentive. If they were to release singles beforehand and later release a physical (deluxe) CD for those who want it, I think costs could be covered. If not, the tour will more than cover it.

Someone needs to step out of convention and see how best to go about it in this day and age. The industry is largely stuck in the past, crying over lost sales that there's no way they can retrieve. Move forward. Be innovative.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Illegal downloading clearly is drastically weakening sales. It's not a coincidence that albums increasingly sold less as the internet became more widespread. I don't buy for a second that it has much to do with quality, that's giving the general music buying public far too much credit. Taste now appears no more sophisticated than it was 10 years ago.

Every now and then we see a stand out album, but selling 10-15 or even 20 million, could only be half the sales the respective albums may have shifted otherwise. Perhaps even less. The success of Adele in particular demonstrates the sales you could achieve from crossing demographics - from young pop fans to grandparents - but I think it's a mistake to use her success as an indicator of what "good music" can sell and how "quality" transcends illegal downloading. 21's sales are so huge because typically Top 40 oblivious (and likely non-illegal downloading) people bought it, not because it was just so brilliant it convinced people to not illegally download it.

I'm waiting for one of the big artists to experiment with how albums are distributed. I think it could be interesting to offer the album for free, using a legal download link from their website (potentially sponsored, to generate revenue). The aim of the game would be to attract all those who illegally download in addition to those who would have bought it, using a counter to calculate the digital units downloaded in total. They would lose out on sales, but they'd also have a more accurate indicator of their audience. The increased exposure would aid ticket sales, with the free album as added incentive. If they were to release singles beforehand and later release a physical (deluxe) CD for those who want it, I think costs could be covered.

Someone needs to step out of convention and see how best to go about it in this day and age. The industry is largely stuck in the past, crying over lost sales that there's no way they can retrieve. Move forward. Be innovative.

interesting, a different approach could improve the music too. What we get now in an age of sales decrease is sales chasing, which is an anti-art way of doing things, so the music declines along with the sales and both drag each other down.

As you say, it's probably time to look beyond the traditional idea of sales.
  • Options
    my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

there's probably always an element of snowballing with giant selling albums. But 21's sales are interesting the more you think about it. It's probably fair to say most of it's sales weren't to existing Adele fans, as she didn't have a huge fanbase previously, but were just people who liked something they heard. There really hasn't been much hype, it grew naturally with a few strong tv performances which hit the mark, and some strong singles. Hype comes before the event and is about selling what can't easily be sold, 21's award came a year after it's release when it'd already destroyed everything else. It's a one-off in this era, it can't be easily explained but it won't happen again, not even to her.

It's true there are great albums that get overlooked (Feist's last one for e.g:(), but even if they'd been over-exposed everwhere there's no way of knowing if they'd have fared much better - some music just doesn't have that wide appeal but it's no worse for that
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its crazy to think that Thriller sold nearly 70 million worldwide. I wonder if that will ever be broken any time shortly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ^^ Already done by Radiohead with In Rainbows (edit: album release not 70 million ;))..

Illegal downloading is obviously a factor but the crapness of pop music at the moment doesn't help. It would help if better music was promoted more (and different types of music to appeal to a wider range of people). Adele has shown that people are still willing to buy albums and '21' isn't even that good.
  • Options
    whitecliffewhitecliffe Posts: 12,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont think we can say low album sales equals low quality.

Illegal downloading plays it part but generally disposable income is lower during periods of recession and compared to say 20 years ago there is so much else on the entertainment front you can spend your money on.