Options

Nurses or Soldiers: which do you admire more?

BarrieWhizzo!BarrieWhizzo! Posts: 411
Forum Member
I thought we could have a poll to discuss which of these occupations is more important and more helpful for humanity.

Some people will say Soldiers because they say Soldiers will "save us from turrists" or help out in the world's hot spots.

Some people will say nurses because they save lives and look after people when they need it most.

Personally, I admire nurses because they have to do some pretty horrible tasks and they just get on and do it and I think we take them too much for granted sometimes!!

I'm not a fan of the work soldiers do, as I don't personally believe in war, especially when we're doing the invading. However, I do accept that soldiers do some very unpleasant tasks as well, even though I don't see the point of it myself.

So my vote goes to nurses, but I'll be interested which way the vote goes for this one!

Who do you admire more? 83 votes

Nurses
62%
pericomEverything GoespamuelaJohn259TagletbluebladeEcho1TH14pickwickMsBehaviourUKMikey[Deleted User]*Clem*Punkchickraidon04Radical Joe[Deleted User]darkjedimasterCBFreak[Deleted User] 52 votes
Soldiers
37%
GPWkimindexMAWPinSarlaCarlLewisspookyLXSi_CreweAneechikvodkamargarineMadridista23mildredhubbleKidMoejrmswfcJane Doh!swaydogrenboothfranciesej17NoFussNoFrillsHugh Jboobs 31 votes

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Nurses
    Poll added. :)
  • Options
    BenllechBenllech Posts: 2,299
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wizards
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses
    Nurses for sure, hands down for me.

Mainly because they have to see people mess themselves and as an emetophobic I would really would choose the Helmand Province over working in a hospital
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what about an option for neither
  • Options
    Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Soldiers
    I voted for soldiers just to piss off the OP.

*EDIT*

Also, what's a "turrist"?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses
    Nurses for sure, hands down for me.

Mainly because they have to see people mess themselves and as an emetophobic I would really would choose the Helmand Province over working in a hospital

I chose nurses as well, but I would have liked a third option which admired both equally.
  • Options
    CasualCasual Posts: 2,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You sure do seem to have a big chip on your shoulder about the military.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses
    Si_Crewe wrote: »

*EDIT*

:D:D I did not notice the source of the question!
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not a fan of the work soldiers do, as I don't personally believe in war, especially when we're doing the invading. However, I do accept that soldiers do some very unpleasant tasks as well, even though I don't see the point of it myself.

So my vote goes to nurses, but I'll be interested which way the vote goes for this one!
    I was wondering why the odd choice of comparison. This explains it. Why choose nurses? If you wanted a biased, deliberately skewed poll, why not soldiers v peace workers, or soldiers v carers?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

People who go on holiday to places.
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soldiers
    Soldiers - because of the obvious risks. There aren't many jobs where you put your neck on the line - and I admire anyone who does.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About a biased opening post as you will ever read.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Would have voted both equally.
  • Options
    CaldariCaldari Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    Soldiers
    Oh look, it's another anti-Forces thread by BarrieWhizzo! Who'd have thought it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    Nurses
    Both but I'd be inclined to vote Nurses because I've got a lot of family who are nurses, a friend who is training to be one so I know how hard they work. (Of course soliders do also).
    Also I was in hospital recently and they were so lovely and helpful
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    ....Two entirely different occupations

- This will probably be controversal but there seems to be more thn just a suggestion that many nurses these days no longer have a caring attitude to hospital patients.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Nurses
    Saskia44 wrote: »
    Soldiers - because of the obvious risks. There aren't many jobs where you put your neck on the line - and I admire anyone who does.

I think you should consider the risk vs the likely outcome.

Nurses take risks all the time. The risk of coming into blood contact with someone with HIV for example.

A soldier does many risky things, but is it even worth doing? Not usually, IMO.
  • Options
    jrmswfcjrmswfc Posts: 5,644
    Forum Member
    Soldiers
    Both do excellent jobs, but voted soldiers as they are literally facing a real prospect of being killed every day (the ones in the war zones anyway, that is). Also, the OP sounds like a nob.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nurses take risks all the time. The risk of coming into blood contact with someone with HIV for example.

Who do you admire most? Soldiers or lawyers who work exclusively in defending paedophiles?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,915
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jrmswfc wrote: »
    Both do excellent jobs, but voted soldiers as they are literally facing a real prospect of being killed every day (the ones in the war zones anyway, that is). Also, the OP sounds like a nob.

Yeah but they love it. Nurses on the other hand, should not face the risks they encounter.
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses

Whilst I wouldn't indulge in pathetic little playground jibes at the OP, Barrie, like many do on here, I would genuinely take issue with your sentiments, although I do appreciate where you are coming from.

We do need armed forces if only to repel or discourage armed forces aggression from other countries, or defend our interests abroad.
  • Options
    pickwickpickwick Posts: 25,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses
    If "risk of being killed" is the big factor, we should be admiring miners most. Or lumberjacks. It's not really something I see as admirable in itself, I have to say!
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a non-militaristic agnostic, I find it alarming that the more time I spend reading baiting threads on DS the more I want to join both the Army and the priesthood.
  • Options
    Saskia44Saskia44 Posts: 2,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Soldiers
    onefineday wrote: »
    Yeah but they love it. Nurses on the other hand, should not face the risks they encounter.

What a sweeping statement. I don't think any soldier loves getting killed or worse. Whatever their reasons for joining the forces - they could end up paying the ultimate price.

Most people are not brave enough to do that.
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Soldiers

*EDIT*

..... ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ This. LOL!! :D