Last Movie You Watched? (Part 6)

Comments

• abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    The Dark Mirror [1946]. Director: Robert Siodmak

7/10

Olivia de Havilland as twin sisters, one of whom is a murderer and the other covering for her.

Watched that tonight and really enjoyed it! In fact, I came to post that this was the last movie I had watched!

Last night I saw The Sapphires, based on the true story of the first all-female group of Aboriginal singers. A bit predictable and sentimental but still good, and loved the singing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ljho1cyEfg
  • TH14TH14 Posts: 11,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hostel (2005)..predictable and just gory for goriness sake 4/10
  • MidsblueMidsblue Posts: 233
    Forum Member
    Looper - a solid 9/10... not many films get the elusive 10 points but this film comes pretty close.

Great story, no heavy reliance on SFX for a sci-fi film and the make-up that made Gordon-Levitt look like a younger version of Bruce Willis was amazing.

Would highly recommend this film
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A (New York) Winter's Tale - I liked it and was fine with buying into the Universe they created but I must admit to an outburst about 1/4 in of "wtf are YOU doing in this movie, earring 'n all"
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Whip Hand [1951]. Director: William Cameron Menzies

6/10

Potentially intriguing mystery turns out to be a paranoid Red Scare movie.
  • David AndersonDavid Anderson Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    The Bucket List (2007) - starring Jack Nicholson and Morgan Freeman, 2 terminally ill men choose to see the world before it's to late. 8/10.
  • JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tears of April (Kasky) (2008) 7/10
  • chimpsy23chimpsy23 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Snowpiercer(2013) 8/10
    A good day to die hard(2013) 5/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sazen Tange And The Pot Worth a Million Ryo (Tange Sazen yowa: Hyakuman ryo no tsubo) (1935) 8/10
    The Nun (La religieuse) (2013) 6/10
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Prince of Egypt - I prefer this portrayal of the Exodus tale to Cecil B. DeMille's The Ten Commandments (a brilliant but way too bloated film). The animation is fine but the standout scenes are obviously the ten plagues and the parting of the Red Sea. Will be interesting to see Ridley Scott's take on Exodus in December.

7/10

Ride Along - Not the most original buddy cop film but I thought it was OK and it zipped by.

6/10
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,162
    Forum Member
    D.o.a (1950) - 7/10
  • abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Avatar - amazing film with some of the most visually stunning cinematography I have ever seen. I was able to watch it in 3D too. 9/10

Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - a film that will haunt me for a long time 9/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Murderer Lives At Number 21 (L'assassin habite... au 21) (1942) 8/10
    Priest Of Darkness (Kochiyama Soshun) (1936) 7/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Van Wilder.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Drinking Buddies (2013) 6/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Total Recall (2012) - Enjoyed the 90s Arnie romp as it was kind of just another Scwarzenegger vehicle, and I enjoyed a few of the big budget ones back in the day (even the silly ones). It was on TV some time ago and it looked dated. I'm also reading 'Counterfeit Worlds - PKD on film' at the moment and I read of the torturous history of the script and the route it took to production in the first place.

I'm given to understand that the rights to the sequel are tied to the original people involved in the project from the get go, henceforth they are credited in this reworking - and boy what a reworking it is.

The plot is almost completely rewritten around the germ of the original book and makes a half-hearted stab at the core of the story i.e. what is real/reality. There are several new plot elements and I wonder if this is fact one of the umpteen alternate endings that apparently were drafted during the develpoment of the original movie.

Visually at least, at first it seems to have been set in a darker, more Bladerunneresque cityscape than the cartoon future of the 90s version (remember we're in the latter half of the 21st century here) and initially this gives great expectations. However, this potential quickly wanes after the first half hour as the 'old plot' (and dialogue?) kicks in.

The initial confusion for the lead in figuring out who he really is soon has him reverting to 'action hero' (aka Arnie) mode as the chase develops. There's a nice little twist of the Mars port arrival scene (as we're now arriving in UFB from The Colony - I wonder if that is how the United States views the relationship between Britain and Australasia?) and the CGI is thankfully not the key player, augmenting rather than trying to steal the scenes.

There are plenty of borrows from other sci-fi and horror films during the movie, just see how many you can spot - I spotted 'The Omen II' but with all those (mag)lifts moving around....

Not really sure about Colin Farrell either :) I hope this doesn't mean that the serial will be made in the same vein. Kate Beckinsale is nice but even Bryan Cranston doesn't shine enough to raise this out of the bland.
  • Tindie_BaisTindie_Bais Posts: 2,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [The ABCs of Death (2012)

I did find most of then intruding, not one them really stood out for me at the moment, Only E as stood out to me, WHAT THE HELL!

I wasn't fan of F, that was Boring, at the moment , The worst one saw, I didn't like at all, the one with lady about to step on kitten, I just could not watch that one, That was the worst for me, I think that P.

Such a long movie, too long, However I thought the best short was T! for Toilet,

I loved Very second of that one, It was smart, clever, funny and very gory, should have been longest!

I give 4 out of 10 worth watch!

B]Tucker & Dale vs. Evil (2010) [/B]

Well , This is re-watch, (first movie I seen Netfilx.) (I just got it this week)

I have only seen this once before and I thought it was great, I still do.

The second watch dose have same impacts but still A lot of fun.

I loved the way started, I think it was mock of TCM remake, and I loved the plot
    of the movie.

There were some very funny jokes in this movie , that worked really well , well made me laugh
    out a loud few times.

The deaths scenes in this movie were great, some of the deaths scene were gory then others
    however all the deaths were really amusing

The acting in this movie was really good and found everyone to be very funny.

8 out of 10

Night of the Creeps (1986)

This is a re-watch, I not seen in over 10 years, I do remember that enjoyed it a lot, when I first saw it.

The second watch, I didn't find all that great, The opening scenes was very bizarre, I had
    mixed with Black and white part of the movie.

I thought the movie took a bit long to get going, I was bit bored in some parts of the movie
    however the second half of the movies dose make for it.

When the movies actually gets really funny, some funny jokes and some good so-what gory zombie kills and some of death were very funny as well.

The acting was great from the whole cast and I didn't mind the ending was decent!

6 out of 10, Not as great as remembered, I think I enjoyed Slither a lot more

The Crazies (2010)

Another re-watch , I know I have seen more then once before, I don't think I saw it in full in my second watch, so I gave it another ago again!

I have not see the original for a very long time, I didn't think was all that great, I do remember that I did enjoy the remake better on my first watch.

However It took me while to get into movie, I was actually wasn't really paying to much attention for the first half.

Again for this movie the second part of the movie kinds of moved a little bit more, I found some parts really good and fun to watch.

One or two decent Crazies (No, I am not calling zombies, there not zombies)_kills not many gory ones, most of the times , they just being shot dead.

I really liked some of the make up effects for the Crazies, some looked really good and scary!

The one think I am little confused about was why did some Crazies actually look scary and some just look like normal people!

The acting was decent from the whole cast!

6 out of 10, Again Not as Good as I remembered
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CAPTAIN PHILLIPS - 9half/10
    superb stuff from everyone all round, tension filled and i had something in my eye at the end :D

felt sorry for the hijackers too, wonder if richard phillips ever met muse again?
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Marathon Man

Dustin Hoffman and Larry Olivier butt heads in famous 70s thriller that largely still cuts it. Conveniences and contrivances abound, but dir. John Schlesinger certainly ratchets up the tension when it counts. In some ways it's too blunt, but technically it's very persuasive. Is it safe? Aye, just about. 7.5/10

Noah

Darren Aronofsky's overblown biblical fable that though doubtlessly well-thought out, foolishly dips its toe into the same pool of wishy-washy fantasy that made The Fountain so indigestible. Still, it sort of works in an odd way, and like the Ark itself is very well-intended. But it struck me there was a better, more sober telling to be made of this. One that keeps the spectacle more grounded and where Ray Winstone's typical coarseness doesn't stand out so badly ("Animals!?! Slags!" etc). 6/10

The Amazing Spider-Man 2

See thread.
  • emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,162
    Forum Member
    The Dark Mirror (1946) - 7.5/10
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    Safety Not Guaranteed (2012). 7/10
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Bedknobs And Broomsticks.

First time I'd seen it properly, absolutely loved it!

10/10
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    THE ADVENTURES OF BUCKAROO BANZAI IN THE 8TH DIMENSION .....

utter
    codswallop
    :D

written by cats with crayons taped to their paws
    :kitty:
  • necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nymphomaniac Volumes I & II - Finally a nice feel good film from Lars, especially after his previous apocalyptic effort :p

8/10
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sabotage - I enjoyed it overall.

Started off exciting enough, but does drag slightly in the middle, but culminates with a nice twist & slightly far fetched ending.
This discussion has been closed.