• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    I seen Blended at the Cinema last night. 5/10
  • Options
    Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    The Sacrament

Latest from Ti West (The Innkeepers), a faux-footage take on the infamous Jonestown incident of 1978.

This could've been great, but the banal, horribly underdeveloped script means it never draws you in as it should, and it simply comes across as exploitative, blatantly trading on modern arrogant aetheism. It obviously wants to be 'disturbing' but the whole empty cynicism of it neuters that completely, revealing a film with nothing to say. No surprise to see Eli Roth turn up in the credits, btw.

I've no doubt Ti West will one day make a film that really kicks off. This, however, is an awful step backwards. 3.5/10
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nostalgia (Nostalghia) (1983) 8.5/10
  • Options
    EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,287
    Forum Member
    Fight Club (1999) - 9/10
  • Options
    necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Son of God - For what is effectively a couple of TV episodes strung into a feature length film, it's pretty decent. They could've got a better lead for Jesus though IMO, he was slightly on the smug side. And a shame they had to cut out 'Satan Obama' :(

6/10
  • Options
    Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Straight Story - never again/10
  • Options
    ihatemarmiteihatemarmite Posts: 5,605
    Forum Member
    2 days 1 night. Guardian gave it 5 stars. I'd say 3. It's thoughtful but was expecting more of it. Marion Cotillard is excellent as usual though
  • Options
    Olls~Olls~ Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    West Side Story - 10/10
  • Options
    The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,632
    Forum Member
    Better Living Through Chemistry (2014) 6/10
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Importance of Being Earnest [1952]. Director: Anthony Asquith

7/10

Lots of Wilde witticisms from a classy British cast.
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Fargo 8.5/10

Really good movie. My favourite character was Peter Stromaire (probably spelt wrong) and his dead-eyed hitman.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just
    Sands of the Kalahari (1965) 5 out of 10
    And
    Escape from the Planet of the Apes (1971) 8
    This week
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    I'm watching "Leap Year" at the moment.
  • Options
    Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thor - The Dark World , I usually jump on Marvel films as soon as they are released.
    I thought this might be a turkey, picked up a cheap blu and its a perfect film for a dull Saturday afternoon. Nothing surprising, delivers the fancy CGI and crash, bang whallops fine enough. 6.5 or a 7 if a fan of super hero films. (Which I am.)

About to watch a German Blu of Love Ranch a film that has Helen Mirren and Joe Pesci amongst its cast. Didn't get a UK release ? and guessing its a WTF movie.
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doublefour wrote: »
    The Railway Man - Harrowing subject matter of brutality and torture, it is done quite thoughtfully in parts. I was suitably gripped with what was going to happen with the two characters meeting up years later. 9/10.

I've read the book and enjoyed it very much and having just visited the Railway Museum in York, can well understand his love of giant locomotives! I'd love to see the film -it's on my rental list
    X - Men. Days of Future Past. Very enjoyable - 8/10

Desperate to see this!! Patrick Stewart, Ian McKelan AND Peter Dinklage all in one film? :D
    saving mr banks i hated this Emma Thompson came across as a hateful woman 4/10

Apparently, the part of the writer was toned down. She was far worse than Emma Thompson portrayed her! I thought it excellent
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Her - Profoundly moving. - 9/10

The Wolf of Wall Street - Lots of fun, 3 hours whizzed by. - 8/10

Her - I thought it one huge ego-fcuk. I found it disturbing and sad rather than moving - taking selfies and FB to a frightening new level

The Wolf of Wall Street - Sometimes fun, but an hour too long - as many films are! Glad you enjoyed it though
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,509
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Black natiivity
    The songs were lame as was the plot
    It felt more style over substance because of it's rather well known cast
  • Options
    abigail1234abigail1234 Posts: 1,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kuma - "Ayse, a beautiful 19-year-old girl from the Turkish countryside, is chosen to be married to the handsome Hasan, son of formidable and house-proud mother Fatma, who resides in Vienna with her husband and six children. However, what soon becomes apparent is that Ayse is to be second wife to Fatma's husband. This tight-knit family go to great lengths to preserve traditional values, and although polygamy is illegal in Austria, Ayse is welcomed with warmth. Yet, her presence in a country whose language and culture is entirely foreign to her immediately marks her as an outsider. As Western societal norms and Muslim religious beliefs draw closer together in an ever diversifying family unit, tensions arise, resulting in an explosive stroke of fate. Umut DaÄY's mature feature debut is a rich tapestry of swirling emotions, suppressed desires, unspoken words and uncomfortable yet pressing social and political questions."

This is a foreign language film and the synopsis sounded interesting but in fact didn't really go into any of the issues with any great depth. OK but could have been much better 6/10
  • Options
    NinjyBearNinjyBear Posts: 8,317
    Forum Member
    Paranoia - 8/10

So weird hearing Gary Oldman's proper accent.

Dread - 5/10

Good, until it forgets what it's about.

Drinking Buddies - 5/10

Meh.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Date and Switch - Formulaic and dull

4/10
  • Options
    emmageeringemmageering Posts: 5,167
    Forum Member
    Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009) - 8/10
  • Options
    David AndersonDavid Anderson Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Requiem for a Dream (2000) a very powerful film dealing with the effects of drug addiction. 9/10
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LEGO MOVIE - 10/10
    WE'RE THE MILLERS - 8half/10
    GHOST RIDER - 8/10
    GHOST RIDER SPIRIT OF VENGEANCE - 6/10
  • Options
    JackassfanJackassfan Posts: 3,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Cruel Sea (1953) 8.5/10
    The Road I Travel With You (Kimi to yuku michi) (1936) 6/10
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Alien 7/10
    Alien vs Predator 3/10
    True Grit (with John Wayne as Rooster) 9/10 - much better than the remake, imo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Endless Love - I'm a sucker for romance films but this was pretty dire :(

2/10

About Last Night - Laughed a couple of times but Kevin Hart wasn't enough to save this film.

3/10
This discussion has been closed.