Options

The Leftovers S02 US Pace

koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Don't read any further if you haven't seen it yet.

What a great start to the show. I wasn't sure where they were going especially with the way the episode started, and the fact we were seeing a new town and family.

But thankfully the rest of the cast came into the picture by the end.

I wonder if the daughter got sucked down the crack?

Thank God the people in white aren't around and we don't have to put up with the smoking. :)

Comments

• Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm guessing we're being led to think the prehistoric intro with the 'lucky' baby being 'adopted' and then the disappearance of the water have some connection to the arrival of Holy Wayne's baby in the town...
    Gripping opener, loved the titles even!
  • Options
    zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea where it is going and don't mind that one iota :)
    - Had to mute things when he stuck his hand where you REALLY don't wanna go sticking your hand.
    - Goat slaughter and someone living on top a pillar - sounds like Leicester - wouldn't like to be the one responsible for his other bucket... eugh!!

Just one thing though, someone please remind me how s1 ended (briefly) so I know why Sheriff (he was a sheriff, right ?!) up sticks from the old place and came here.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    No idea where it is going and don't mind that one iota :)
    - Had to mute things when he stuck his hand where you REALLY don't wanna go sticking your hand.
    - Goat slaughter and someone living on top a pillar - sounds like Leicester - wouldn't like to be the one responsible for his other bucket... eugh!!

Just one thing though, someone please remind me how s1 ended (briefly) so I know why Sheriff (he was a sheriff, right ?!) up sticks from the old place and came here.

The people who were against the people in white set fire to the street, and went on the rampage because of what they did with the mannequins.
  • Options
    Derek_CooperDerek_Cooper Posts: 93
    Forum Member
    Great first episode, although for the first 10 minutes I thought I had tuned in to the wrong programme :)
  • Options
    SgtRockSgtRock Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll have to watch it again as I started nodding off towards the end, but this didn't disappoint. Completely different (and good) vibe to the opening titles from last season.

There is something very sinister about John - everyone seems frightened of him.

I see that Amy Brenneman and Liv Tyler were listed in the opening credits - I wonder how they will be re-introduced, or will they only appear in flashbacks?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The people who were against the people in white set fire to the street, and went on the rampage because of what they did with the mannequins.
    mercibocoo, I really need to dig out last season for a rewatch. Also, I read that ep2 will cover
    his exit from the old place and coming to this new place
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I forgot about the odd perspex box covering the huge crack in the road that we saw - It looked just like the crack in the spring where all the water (and Evie & friends) disappeared.
    On the face of it, it seems that some people have disappeared here before: but in this town's case, they "go downwards".... after the snake imagery in the opening, looks like disappearing in Miracle is seen as something much more sinister - and maybe something that some of them think their actions (or rituals - like slaughter) can prevent.

I bet the few unsold 'souvenir' flasks of the spring water that are still kept, will suddenly increase in value too...
  • Options
    bobblabobbla Posts: 11,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no idea why i find this series so compelling seeing as i don't have a scoody doo what the hell is going on lol
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »
    I have no idea why i find this series so compelling seeing as i don't have a scoody doo what the hell is going on lol
    I know what you mean. Watching the show feels like watching a covered masterpiece painting slowly having its cover removed - don't know what it is but it is oozing quality (or something like that). Like you just know the writers have nailed down where the show is going, so you can just sit back and enjoy, confident that wherever it takes you it's gonna be awesome. :)
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobbla wrote: »

Same here. :p It was good to see some of the old cast back. At first I thought they were going to go down the route of a brand new cast and their stories.
  • Options
    burton07burton07 Posts: 10,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't watch any of series 1 so S2/E1 was a complete mystery to me. Is it the same for people who did watch S1 or are there things I need to now to understand it better?
  • Options
    MaccaMacca Posts: 18,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    burton07 wrote: »
    I didn't watch any of series 1 so S2/E1 was a complete mystery to me. Is it the same for people who did watch S1 or are there things I need to now to understand it better?
    Although the second season is set in a different town, it does help if you watch the first season to understand what is going on.
  • Options
    MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
    Forum Member
    Well what an utterly confusing, mysterious opening - I loved it! :D Lots of questions already, can't wait to see it all unfold.

The HBO Leftovers website has excellent written recaps of each episode of season one if anyone needs a reminder, they helped me out a lot!
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So apparently the opening credits aren't a gag then ..

I honestly thought i'd recorded the wrong show when i started watching.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Why would they be a gag?

They seem apt for the show.

I worried about what show I was watching at first too.
  • Options
    MimiMoonlightMimiMoonlight Posts: 244
    Forum Member

Oh, I'm sad they got rid of the old opening credits, the music was really good, it gave me goosebumps! :(
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.vox.com/2015/10/4/9452213/leftovers-season-2-premiere-recap-cavewoman

^ There's an article that somewhat explains the meaning/themes of the opening sequence of the episode, with quotes from Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta.

Very interesting; the idea that earthquakes in ancient times were seen as these inexplicable, literal acts of God, much like the Sudden Departure, that nobody quite understood nor were able to rationalise. The natural reaction to a seemingly inexplicable event is to assume "God did it".

Following that line of thought, could it be that the Sudden Departure was some sort of freakish disaster (and not an act of God) that modern science hasn't grasped yet? People assume it was a Rapture-like act of God because they have no other explanation for the disappearences. But maybe when science finally catches up, they'll one day have the knowledge to understand what the Sudden Departure really was and where 2% of the population went? At the moment, our science isn't advanced enough to explain the Departure. Like cavemen couldn't explain earthquakes, we can't explain sudden departures. Just a few thoughts.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why would they be a gag?

They seem apt for the show.

I worried about what show I was watching at first too.

The overly jaunty style came across as more of a sitcom than a drama series and it made me think it was some kind of in-joke.
  • Options
    jedi mattjedi matt Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    T.K. Mazin wrote: »
    http://www.vox.com/2015/10/4/9452213/leftovers-season-2-premiere-recap-cavewoman

^ There's an article that somewhat explains the meaning/themes of the opening sequence of the episode, with quotes from Damon Lindelof and Tom Perrotta.

Very interesting; the idea that earthquakes in ancient times were seen as these inexplicable, literal acts of God, much like the Sudden Departure, that nobody quite understood nor were able to rationalise. The natural reaction to a seemingly inexplicable event is to assume "God did it".

Following that line of thought, could it be that the Sudden Departure was some sort of freakish disaster (and not an act of God) that modern science hasn't grasped yet? People assume it was a Rapture-like act of God because they have no other explanation for the disappearences. But maybe when science finally catches up, they'll one day have the knowledge to understand what the Sudden Departure really was and where 2% of the population went? At the moment, our science isn't advanced enough to explain the Departure. Like cavemen couldn't explain earthquakes, we can't explain sudden departures. Just a few thoughts.

I've come to think the same thing regarding the disappearences aswell. maybe it will be explained as the show continues. all the rapture enthusiasts will be having a field day with the storyline. Also how the Garveys got there will be explained as i have read the synopsis for the second episode which sort gives me the idea that we will be seeing the same events from their point of view.
  • Options
    hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    I enjoyed the first episode. It was an interesting way of telling the story. I thought we were gonna pick up were last year left off. I think this season could possibly top the first.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »
    I've come to think the same thing regarding the disappearences aswell. maybe it will be explained as the show continues. all the rapture enthusiasts will be having a field day with the storyline. Also how the Garveys got there will be explained as i have read the synopsis for the second episode which sort gives me the idea that we will be seeing the same events from their point of view.

Don't waste your energy thinking about the whys or hows. That's not what the show is about. It's about living and coping with loss and grief. Nothing more. People, loved ones and strangers, live and they die. Here one day, gone the next. That's it. The show is about coping with those feelings of senselessness. If you're watching the show in the context of mystery that must be solved or explained you're going to be massively dissapointed. Any apparent funny business is merely a means to further explore the central theme.

Undoubtedly some people will look for deeper meanings, just like some people in the show itself....something to think about.
  • Options
    T.K.T.K. Posts: 19,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jedi matt wrote: »

I'm not sure that it will be expained as the creators have already said the mystery of the Sudden Departure will never be answered. Which is fair enough to be honest. At least they warned us this time! :D

Don't pay attention to me, I was just musing. I was intrigued by what Damon Lindelof said in the article about earthquakes being perceived as mystical acts of God in ancient times like the Sudden Departure is in our era.

I was hinting that maybe one day in the future when science has advanced enough, scientists will have a better understanding of what the Sudden Departure was and realise it wasn't an act of God but a freakish disaster event like earthquakes. I wasn't suggesting any of this should happen onscreen or anything. Just thinking out loud :) .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMO it is a cop out to not show the reason for the disappearances, especially when there is a strong religious angle to the show.

And I don't believe the metaphor stuff. People HAVE disappeared and in mysterious circumstances so it is no use them pretending it is just about how people deal with grief and stuff.

We all know how superstitious humans can be so we don't need telling.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IMO it is a cop out to not show the reason for the disappearances, especially when there is a strong religious angle to the show.
    Woh, I disagree with this strongly.
    To reveal the reason to us, and to the people on the show (right?!) would immediately end the show, because the show is about all the different reactions to the not-knowing-why. Tell them the why and the show has no point.

It'd be akin to a show on the numerous religions having a specific God turn up and say "Hey guys, let me tell you what really happened". (ish)

I'm happy not knowing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    zwixxx wrote: »
    Woh, I disagree with this strongly.
    To reveal the reason to us, and to the people on the show (right?!) would immediately end the show, because the show is about all the different reactions to the not-knowing-why. Tell them the why and the show has no point.

It'd be akin to a show on the numerous religions having a specific God turn up and say "Hey guys, let me tell you what really happened". (ish)

I'm happy not knowing.

LIke I said, It's a cop out.

We can all make shows about God and religion and just pretend it's not really about god or religion, and really about how people deal with life and death.

But the point is that in this show people have disappeared on a scale that can't be put down to individual religious delusions.

And it just shows why humans are so rubbish at answering the big questions, because they make it all personal and about their own pathetic lives.

And we've already had other mystic things happen such as the bloke last season who was good with people and we now have the baby, so they can't pretend there isn't an element of mysticism to the show.

And this season we have the bloke who make or may not be able to tell people's future by reading their palm print.