Options

Pick Of The Pops - Radio 2

Comments

• Options
    ClareBClareB Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weren't Dr Hook mistakenly announced as No. 1 the week before it made the top.
  • Options
    david1956david1956 Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ClareB wrote: »
    Weren't Dr Hook mistakenly announced as No. 1 the week before it made the top.

Yes, I remember that. On the Tuesday when the chart was announced by Paul Burnett, Dr Hook was announced as number one. This was corrected during the afternoon on Radio 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nick G wrote: »
    Two great years today, that doesn't half help. Gambo even sounded like he was enjoying it. .

Is it any wonder? He didn't have to play a load of rubbish from 1989 and 1992 this week.

Yes, it as an exceptional show. One of Paul's best.
  • Options
    Rich Tea.Rich Tea. Posts: 22,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1956 wrote: »
    I am hesitant to let politics distract us but since you have already done so I will continue.

I have to disagree with you that "vast numbers of people chose a path". We didn't. The referendum result was just less than 52 percent to slightly more than 48 percent. That is a very tight margin. I seem to remember a recent post in which you praised Theresa May for her leadership. Other than repeating empty phrases such as "Brexit Means Brexit", can you remind me of something she has done.
    David, did you really have to post this? You didn't hesitate enough. I was merely pointing out my attitude to Geldof as someone who was played during the '79 chart, not wishing to open up the thread to full scale political debate. There are enough places for that around these parts. Anyway, while you're at it, I never mentioned margins or majorities, but I do tend to think that the number 17,410,742 is a pretty vast number don't you? Hence my point. Yes the other number was vast but not vast enough.

Infact talking margins, and the charts are a numbers game with big and small margins all the time week in week out, so if the "slim" winning majority of 1.4million was the sales of a single it would be one of the biggest selling of all time. So actually quite big.

"Complex" it ain't. No need to "Still" keep on. "No more tears (enough is enough)" on the matter.

End this "Madness" from the continuing "Ramblers". :p
    Two great years today, that doesn't half help. Gambo even sounded like he was enjoying it. But so odd to hear him award Dr Hook a fictional 4th week at number one.
    I hold Gambo in such high esteem for his chart knowledge that when he makes errors such as this then I tolerate them far less than I would from a lesser presenter of incisive chart knowledge as he. Dr Hook's When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman hit No1 on Tuesday 13th November 1979 (w/e 17th Nov) and fell off the top spot on Tuesday 4th December 1979 (w/e 8th Dec), three weeks later. What seems to have happened is that Lena had been knocked off the top spot and then had it re-instated on Tuesday 6th November. Rotten mix up that. Imagine being delighted that the worst No1 of 1979 got unseated only for it to suddenly be back on top just hours later!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich Tea. wrote: »
    David, did you really have to post this? You didn't hesitate enough. I was merely pointing out my attitude to Geldof as someone who was played during the '79 chart, not wishing to open up the thread to full scale political debate. There are enough places for that around these parts. Anyway, while you're at it, I never mentioned margins or majorities, but I do tend to think that the number 17,410,742 is a pretty vast number don't you? Hence my point. Yes the other number was vast but not vast enough.

Infact talking margins, and the charts are a numbers game with big and small margins all the time week in week out, so if the "slim" winning majority of 1.4million was the sales of a single it would be one of the biggest selling of all time. So actually quite big.

"Complex" it ain't. No need to "Still" keep on. "No more tears (enough is enough)" on the matter.

End this "Madness" from the continuing "Ramblers". :p

I hold Gambo in such high esteem for his chart knowledge that when he makes errors such as this then I tolerate them far less than I would from a lesser presenter of incisive chart knowledge as he. Dr Hook's When You're In Love With A Beautiful Woman hit No1 on Tuesday 13th November 1979 (w/e 17th Nov) and fell off the top spot on Tuesday 4th December 1979 (w/e 8th Dec), three weeks later. What seems to have happened is that Lena had been knocked off the top spot and then had it re-instated on Tuesday 6th November. Rotten mix up that. Imagine being delighted that the worst No1 of 1979 got unseated only for it to suddenly be back on top just hours later!

If I ever needed a reason to avoid this thread it is nonsense like the above. I think you have been at the Christmas sherry a few weeks early.:(
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robbie01 wrote: »
    And what a cracking record to kick off with, 'Another Brick In The Wall' by Pink Floyd.

This was the song I was most looking forward to hearing on today's Pick of the Pops. :)
    The original 'Saddle Up'. Check out that bass line. A much better song too.

2 other songs from that era that sounded similar to Ladies' Night and Saddle Up were Al hudson & the Partners' You Can Do It and Leon Hayward's Don't Push It Don't Force It.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I ever needed a reason to avoid this thread it is nonsense like the above. I think you have been at the Christmas sherry a few weeks early.:(
    Good, as your posts on here are always negative. You always moan about certain years being played because you don't like them.

POTP is for everyone on here to listen to, it's not just on for your benefit.
  • Options
    wakey1512wakey1512 Posts: 453
    Forum Member
    What a fantastic chart 1979 was. Just about every song was fantastic! My favourite police song, jam song, ELO song, and queen song all in one! What could david1956 possibly have negative to say today?

(Except he already has, see moaning above :( )
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh come on that's unfair, have you not got a sense of humour?

The strongest thing I'll have this Christmas is an orange juice probably. ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wakey1512 wrote: »
    What a fantastic chart 1979 was. Just about every song was fantastic! My favourite police song, jam song, ELO song, and queen song all in one! What could david1956 possibly have negative to say today?

(Except he already has, see moaning above :( )

You clearly haven't read my posts properly. I haven't written anything negative about today's programme.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And what a cracking record to kick off with, 'Another Brick In The Wall' by Pink Floyd.

'Baby Face' by Bobby Darin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You clearly haven't read my posts properly. I haven't written anything negative about today's programme.

Not regarding Saturdays chart but regarding the charts from the weeks before.

Was 1979 in your acceptable band of years?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you don't like 1979 then you don't like popular music.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Absolutely. I am listening to Paul playing ELO as I write. No Confusion here.

Such a stark contrast with 1989. It is easy to see why sales of singles fell off a cliff during the late eighties, early nineties period.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You were referring to my post about the 1979 chart. Maybe you need to read your own posts as well. Are you another one who has been at the cooking sherry.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have this one on me David and enjoy it. A 1962 vintage, so just perfect for you - https://youtu.be/7sJCYeG6be8 :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Christmas Eve will be our day to hear THREE classic Christmas charts. Santa Gambo climbs down the chimney to bring us festive goodies from 1967, 1972 and 1985.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,841
    Forum Member
    Christmas Eve will be our day to hear THREE classic Christmas charts. Santa Gambo climbs down the chimney to bring us festive goodies from 1967, 1972 and 1985.

Nice to get that extra hour, assuming Dermot is not on that day.

Hope we get three hours on New Year's Eve as well:)
  • Options
    JedikiahJedikiah Posts: 5,396
    Forum Member
    Yes, 1979 is much superior to these present BBC 4 Top Of The Pops 1982 episodes!
  • Options
    Nick GNick G Posts: 1,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Please switch 1972 to 1975. The greatest Christmas top three of all, including Greg Lake.
  • Options
    Multimedia81Multimedia81 Posts: 83,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Nice to get that extra hour, assuming Dermot is not on that day.

Hope we get three hours on New Year's Eve as well:)

I think New Year's Eve will be a 3-hour show but of biggest-sellers of a year from each decade 60s 70s & 80s.

Looking ahead a bit, Saturday April 1st will be the day Tony finally comes back to Pick of the Pops. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member

1979 is probably my favourite year of music. That particular week in 1979 one of the best of the year too..
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Please switch 1972 to 1975. The greatest Christmas top three of all, including Greg Lake.

Yes, RIP Greg Lake, only 69 too.
  • Options
    DUHODUHO Posts: 2,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, RIP Greg Lake, only 69 too.

The Greg Lake song is IMHO the GREATEST Christmas song ever made- nothing comes close and in a way its sad or more likely ironic probably the most innovative pop song ever made robbed it from being the Christmas number one for 1975.......
  • Options
    Elvisfan4evaElvisfan4eva Posts: 15,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DUHO wrote: »
    The Greg Lake song is IMHO the GREATEST Christmas song ever made- nothing comes close and in a way its sad or more likely ironic probably the most innovative pop song ever made robbed it from being the Christmas number one for 1975.......

Yes it is a fantastic song that's often left off the big Christmas compilations and doesn't receive the airplay every Christmas that it deserves.