Would Doctor Who be aired on a Sunday?

Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
Forum Member
✭✭✭
What would people think of the show being aired on a Sunday instead of Saturday. If the show does begin in the autumn and does air on Saturdays I can see its timeslot being messed around do to shows like Strictly Come Dancing on Saturdays, so am I the only one who hopes it could air on a Sunday from about 18:45-19:30 to have a solid timeslot and to avoid be messed about by Strictly and Xfactor? What would people think about a move to Sundays?

Comments

• daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What would people think of the show being aired on a Sunday instead of Saturday. If the show does begin in the autumn and does air on Saturdays I can see its timeslot being messed around do to shows like Strictly Come Dancing on Saturdays, so am I the only one who hopes it could air on a Sunday from about 18:45-19:30 to have a solid timeslot and to avoid be messed about by Strictly and Xfactor? What would people think about a move to Sundays?

You forget that Strictly has a results show on Sunday evening, for about half an hour and it varies from week to week in start time between 7.15 and 7.30. Not only that Countryfile has a regular slot before the results show as well so if it was shown on a Sunday it would have to be on fairly early or an 8 start and in that case it would be up against the X-Factor Results and possibly Top Gear as well if it is showing that time of year.

I don't mind it being shown on a Sunday occasionally as with the some of the 2009 Specials but Saturday has been it's main home, 80's aside, for most of it's 50 years and don't see why it should change really.

:)
  • Andy_Smith1Andy_Smith1 Posts: 4,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You forget that Strictly has a results show on Sunday evening, for about half an hour and it varies from week to week in start time between 7.15 and 7.30. Not only that Countryfile has a regular slot before the results show as well so if it was shown on a Sunday it would have to be on fairly early or an 8 start and in that case it would be up against the X-Factor Results and possibly Top Gear as well if it is showing that time of year.

I don't mind it being shown on a Sunday occasionally as with the some of the 2009 Specials but Saturday has been it's main home, 80's aside, for most of it's 50 years and don't see why it should change really.

True but I reckon they would be fine with putting Countryfile on earlier as DW may give Strictly a bigger lead in. Also if it does still on air on Saturdays after Strictly it would be still up against X factor as a longer show, plus was Atlantis not renewed and is the after Strictly slot not there's so how will that work?
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    The BBC are making a point by airing it on a Saturday. Yes, the competition is more fierce but then the shows continued success shows that it is up to the challenge. Having faith in it is what keeps it going. If they were to move it to Sunday to steer clear of shows that challenge it, then it all but confirms they no longer believe the show is of a high enough quality and that it isn't good enough any more.

Besides, to quote the Doctor on two seperate occasions from Series 4...

"Good, I like Saturdays"
    "Sundays are boring"

:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    True but I reckon they would be fine with putting Countryfile on earlier as DW may give Strictly a bigger lead in. Also if it does still on air on Saturdays after Strictly it would be still up against X factor as a longer show, plus was Atlantis not renewed and is the after Strictly slot not there's so how will that work?

I don't think they would put Countryfile on earlier for 13 weeks, it has a pretty much regular slot all year round, I don't think they would upset it's regular viewers by putting it on earlier just for the sake of Doctor Who. They may move it once in a while but not every week.

As for your other point, I would assume Doctor Who would be shown before Strictly than Atlantis afterwards?

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The BBC are making a point by airing it on a Saturday. Yes, the competition is more fierce but then the shows continued success shows that it is up to the challenge. Having faith in it is what keeps it going. If they were to move it to Sunday to steer clear of shows that challenge it, then it all but confirms they no longer believe the show is of a high enough quality and that it isn't good enough any more.

Besides, to quote the Doctor on two seperate occasions from Series 4...

"Good, I like Saturdays"
    "Sundays are boring"

:D

Yeah its true you could look at it like that but you could also say they would move it as it is such a high quality show and they want as many people to watch it as possible while not being up against something else
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saturday evening is primetime TV, they wouldn't want to risk loosing viewers by putting it on Sunday.
  • Michael_EveMichael_Eve Posts: 14,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As someone who became a fan in '82, I don't really have a problem with Doctor Who being shown on other days, although the Tom Baker era does remind me of Saturday tea times as a young 'un. (In those days, with one telly and no remote control it depended whether other members of my family wanted to watch it. Generally, post 'Talons...' they didn't! So missed out on Season 16, etc completely. Now one of me favourites.) *

But.....I agree that moving the programme from where it's been since 2005 is unnecessary. It's doing fine in the ratings, and if/when BARB factor in BBC1 + 1 and increase what i-player 'hits' they take into account (think that's on the cards?) the 'officials' will more likely than not look even healthier.

Also, it just 'feels' like a Saturday rather than a Sunday type of programme. Sunday feels like a more Midwifey, Midsomery, heartbeaty, All Creaturesgreatandsmally sort of day, y'know. :)

*That sounds like they hated Talons! Told in retrospect they got a bit fed up with Tom in the part. Ridiculous, I know!
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    Changing it from Saturday to Sunday would be seen as a loss of confidence in the show by the bbc. Everyone knows that Saturday night is where all channels bring out their big guns, and a change to Sunday, for whatever reason, would make it seem as though it wasn't good enough for Saturday anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    Sunday evenings before about 8 o'clock is genrally known as the "death slot" and they don't normally get figures about 5 million max. however Saturday's at this time are primetime (ironically its the complete opposite in the USA, not related to anything, but hey!) and so I'd imagie that this is where the golden child of the BBC will stay- especially considering many people's heads explode if Strictley and the X-Factor are on at the same time, so I'd imagine Who will have a nice, safe slot when the X-Factor is on, as I can't imagine they attract the same people.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JackMShep wrote: »
    Sunday evenings before about 8 o'clock is genrally known as the "death slot" and they don't normally get figures about 5 million max. however Saturday's at this time are primetime (ironically its the complete opposite in the USA, not related to anything, but hey!) and so I'd imagie that this is where the golden child of the BBC will stay- especially considering many people's heads explode if Strictley and the X-Factor are on at the same time, so I'd imagine Who will have a nice, safe slot when the X-Factor is on, as I can't imagine they attract the same people.

How many times have I heard this nonsense in the last few months that viewers exclusively watch one or the other? I watch both and I know several people who do as well. Just thought I'd mention it....again.......

Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i was wondering if it was a possibility because where would they put Doctor Who on a Saturday because if its at about 8 on a Saturday after Strictly is too late for a family show {I know the 50th was at 7.50 but that was a one off event kind of thing not just single episodes}
    And what about Atlantis? Isn't after Strictly their timeslot? I heard that was returning in Fall 2014 too is it not?
    I think it will be interesting to see what will happen with timeslot, I know people are wondering if the series will return in August or September but I'm surprised the timeslot has not be discussed more as it has been a problem for the show in the past
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    JackMShep wrote: »

Huh, you must be going back to when that was the religious slot, Countryfile regularly gets around 6.7 to 7m in that slot.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as it doesn't move to 7.30 on a Wednesday again
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    Saturday or Sunday are both the same to me. I work Mon-Fri, I don't work Saturday and Sunday so there's no difference either way.

As for clashes, it's irrelevant these days. I record almost everything anyway. Doctor Who is one of the only shows I make an effort to watch the same day I record it but it wouldn't be a calamity if I had to delay a day or two.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,327
    Forum Member
    Thrombin wrote: »
    Saturday or Sunday are both the same to me. I work Mon-Fri, I don't work Saturday and Sunday so there's no difference either way.

As for clashes, it's irrelevant these days. I record almost everything anyway. Doctor Who is one of the only shows I make an effort to watch the same day I record it but it wouldn't be a calamity if I had to delay a day or two.
    Whilst it's true that when programmes are shown first is often largely irrelevant these days, there is still a prestige element in a saturday night slot. with many not working weekends, saturday night is the one most seen as the one, if any, that majority of people actually would watch something live on it's original broadcast. As such, it is known by all that all uk channel's keep their best stuff for saturday primetime, and to take doctor who away from saturday night would be akin to the bbc saying it no longer thought the show was good enough for a saturday.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    The only time it is on a sunday, is christmas and new year, and possibly easter.