Worst master stories

2»

Comments

• adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    Sorry but the last time I watched traken it just bored me to tears. I find timeflight more entertaining.

Fair enough - we can't all like the same things!
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    All of them, hammiest character of all time and boy did I get really cheesed off when he started appearing in story after story after story after story.
  • grazey1985grazey1985 Posts: 1,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »
    All of them, hammiest character of all time and boy did I get really cheesed off when he started appearing in story after story after story after story.

He appears in 20 stories out of 241. That's Less than 10 percent of doctor who stories. Hardly story after story.
  • Benjamin SiskoBenjamin Sisko Posts: 1,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grazey1985 wrote: »
    He appears in 20 stories out of 241. That's Less than 10 percent of doctor who stories. Hardly story after story.

I think he's referring to the Pertwee era - in Season 8, the Master appeared in ALL the stories and many in Seasons 9 and 10 before Roger Delgado's passing.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,409
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Zeppelyn56 wrote: »

There are times when a generalisation like this has to be challenged.

Aside from one moment at the end of The Time Monster when Delgado did indeed 'ham it up.' I struggle to think of any other moment that his Master was hammy. For me he was quite a calm and laid back characterisation, oozing with evil charm.

Then I look at Peter Pratt's interpretation in The Deadly Assassin and again, I don't see where it was hammy. He played it straight down the line and very serious.

And as aforementioned Geoffrey Beevers was mainly a vocal performance which was very laid back and calm.

Later Master's I will concede the point but for me I would say some of the time he was hammy, not all of the time.

As for appearing story after story, as has been said, it was mainly during Season 8 and he appeared quite regularly during Davison's time but not so regularly to make it annoying.

:)
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last one he was in. The master became a giggling nutter with superpowers and a stupid blonde dye job. He was effectively a boring generic supervillain. The drumming etc was interesting and well done, but when ALL the planets population became the Master my brain checked out. Couldn't stop laughing and couldn't take the story seriously thereafter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,988
    Forum Member
    Last of the Timelords because I hate that episode with a passion. Love John Simm as an actor but he was an awful Master
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As many have pointed out. Any story with John Simm as the Master. Going back to the classic series... Timeflight. :/
  • nottinghamcnottinghamc Posts: 11,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    allisonbm2 wrote: »
    Last of the Timelords because I hate that episode with a passion. Love John Simm as an actor but he was an awful Master

I thought they'd try and turn him into a more thoughtful villain, as he had been at points during the 70's. Instead he became a rather generic modern badguy, just with a good actor playing him. It's like the cybermen in the new series, they may look good, but they're still written as generic monsters and given either boring or pointless scripts.
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I thought John Simms was a brilliant Master. I love how Delgado tended to mirror Jon Pertwee's smooth and gentlemanly personality whereas Simms mirrored Tennant's exuberant eccentricity in the same way.

The Doctor and the Master were always supposed to be two sides of the same coin and I thought the John Simms stories demontrated that perfectly.
  • Zeppelyn56Zeppelyn56 Posts: 455
    Forum Member
    There are times when a generalisation like this has to be challenged.

Aside from one moment at the end of The Time Monster when Delgado did indeed 'ham it up.' I struggle to think of any other moment that his Master was hammy. For me he was quite a calm and laid back characterisation, oozing with evil charm.

Then I look at Peter Pratt's interpretation in The Deadly Assassin and again, I don't see where it was hammy. He played it straight down the line and very serious.

And as aforementioned Geoffrey Beevers was mainly a vocal performance which was very laid back and calm.

Later Master's I will concede the point but for me I would say some of the time he was hammy, not all of the time.

As for appearing story after story, as has been said, it was mainly during Season 8 and he appeared quite regularly during Davison's time but not so regularly to make it annoying.

:)

Yea I get your point daveyboy, I was just referring to that era really, I was already cheesed off by the banished to earth thing which for me got a bit boring and then that sequence of stories one after the other with the Master put me off for life I think, redeemed only by Derk Jacobi, clever story that I thought.

Apologies for not replying sooner, I thought my post had disappeared, was looking in other Master thread.:blush:
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    I thought John Simms was a brilliant Master. I love how Delgado tended to mirror Jon Pertwee's smooth and gentlemanly personality whereas Simms mirrored Tennant's exuberant eccentricity in the same way.

The Doctor and the Master were always supposed to be two sides of the same coin and I thought the John Simms stories demontrated that perfectly.

Agree with this